A16 Ultra

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Round1

Post by Round1 »

I'm looking to hear from any folks out there who've got their hands on one of these units....review please. :smile:
I'm in the process of selling off a lot of gear with the intension of going 'mixerless' and just using an A16 Ultra with the forthcoming Emagic Logic Control (and a much simplified & smaller patchbay!)
"It's a Brave New World........"
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

A16 Ultra + Logic Control yes yes yes! I want to read more about Logic Control, I've read everything I could find, but once I heard of these devices a few months back, I was excited to try a setup as you describe!
Round1

Post by Round1 »

Well I'm going for it. I've chopped the fat outta the control room (Behringer MX-8000, 2 x Fostex D80's + looms, Omnirax Mixstation 24, Roland DR-660, Roland TR-606, Korg 1212I/O....all up for sale on Ebay) I've got new custom made studio furniture in (well......half in anyway), should have the A16 in a week or two....then after that the Logic Control (expected in Australia hopefully first or second week in Feb).
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I have had my unit for about a week now. Used it for some actual real-world recording sessions.

I also had the 2496's.

The A16 Ultra is clean and quiet with just the right amount of upper frequency warmth. In other words, you can use this device all day long and it won't annoy your eardrums. Some AD convertors are little too clinical for me. I've always thought Creamware products had a warm (but accurate) quality.

The unit isn't pretty. Basic grey. Looks kinda bland sitting next to my Pod Pro :smile: The 2496's had better silkscreening.

Runs cool. No fan. Uses an external 12VAC adapter. The I/O jacks on the back read from left to right (this apparently was an issue for some although not sure why).

Compared to the 2496's I'd say the A16 has a bit more openness to it. A wider, fuller sound quality.

When I first plugged the thing in, I tried recording a solo acoustic guitar with a single Neumann mike through a JoeMeek preamp (using 3DAT). Like having aural sex :smile:
Round1

Post by Round1 »

What i/face are you using......ADAT of Z-link? And how long are they?

Ta
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Using ADAT cables. Mine are probably 15 feet long.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

In reference to "jitter", I think it is preferable to use the Adat connection, although I haven´t seen any measurements concerming firewire connections.

What I would like to know is how the image of the stereofield translates through the DA stage. And who has built the A16? What kind of chip was used?

Regards!
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

hate to break in here krizrox but i am sort of a newbie and it sounds like you are saying if i get a da/ad converter i can use the adat on my pulsar classic to connect to it as opposed to the zlink or do i need the zlink just to connect with adat?? i hope that is clear i am looking for more analog inputs and am a little cloudy as to what my options are, thanks anyone with an answer i have open ears.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

"it sounds like you are saying if i get a da/ad converter i can use the adat on my pulsar classic to connect to it"

That is correct. The z-link is Creamware products only. If you have a soundcard and a ADA conv. with Z-link, it is slightly better to use that otherwise you can use the ADAT connectors.
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

thanks a mil jupiter8 i was hoping that was the case. all this stuff is little confusing at first, thanks again
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I use two 15' ADAT optical cables from my A16 to my Pulsar card for 16 simultaneous input channels to Pulsar. I'm not currently using the ADAT outputs from Pulsar. If I was, I would need two more ADAT optical cables (for a total of 4). The Z-Link option will only work on Pulsar boards that have the ZLink I/O option. Or on a Luna card which has one ZLink connector built-in. But each ZLink cable only carries 8 channels of audio so you would need two ZLink cables from the A16 to Pulsar (or Luna with the optional ADAT/ZLINK board).
electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

I've had mine about three weeks, and the sonic quality is killer. I record with a variety of mics, mostly through a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo or Allen & Heath Board. The sonic qualities blow my former Delta 1010 away, in presence, detail, and warmth.

I hate those tiny little meters on the front though, pretty damn near worthless. In general, though, a killer product. I'd like to add the Logic Control myself!
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Interesting, I´ve never heard the Delta1010 converters. But lots of Nuendo users praise them for being really clean converters.

I have a question...., how does the A16 behave in terms of dynamics? Are they rather smooth sounding or do they react explosive to stronger signals and transients? Or perhaps both...
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Hey Electrocowboy - you're right about those little LED meters. Practically worthless. Creamware could've just left 'em off and knocked another $100 off the cost.

Sure sounds nice though.