When an update will become true ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Post by JoPo »

There is indeed for a long time, I dreamed about an update but I made a mistake either I was drunk.
Is CreamWare definitively unable to release a new SFP version ?
I bought my first Pulsar I when it just been released 5 or 6 years ago and we still have the same bugs !!

I really wander why nothing is happening. Are they suiciding ?

Has someone some explanation ?

A BIG merci to the one who show me the light...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

what bugs are you talking about exactly?
SFP 4 is working pretty much perfectly so other than for new features there's not a lot of need for CWA to dedicate resources to developing an update at this moment. If anything is in need of an update it's the hardware.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

One week ago, I put a multi FX on the STM 1632 mixer with optimaster in last. Then it became impossible to open this project : the SFP window disappeared and I had to re-run SFP. I had to take off the optimaster.dev, load the project, save ...

On my PC and the one I had before, one's SFP is loaded, if you close it, the PC freezes and I must reset the PC.

My system :
Windows XP pro
PIV 3.2 Ghz
Asus P4P800 SE
3 Pulsar card :
Pulsar I (4 dsp)
power sampler (3 dsp)
XTC (6 dsp) -> 13 Creamware dsp
1 PCI 2xUSB + 2 firewire
1 Powercore firewire
2 Gb pc 2100 DDR
Radeon 9600 pro

And, for being polite, I will not talk about the STS series !!! Which I bought all. (ouch ! my painfull ass)

To not see many bugs in SFP, you must not use it every days :wink:
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

On 2005-06-26 02:37, King of Snake wrote:
what bugs are you talking about exactly?
SFP 4 is working pretty much perfectly
Pretty much perfectly? It's working "pretty much" but I would stop right there.

I Double Dog Dare Creamware to release an upgrade. There. Top that.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Pffff !
I started to feel alone !
garyb

Post by garyb »

an upgrade would always be good. it does work nearly flawlessly, though. i haven't found any software that lived up to it's full potential yet, so my expectations are realistic. how can the software ever be finished when the hardware changes every six months? i'm looking forward to the asbs selling and then some new cards(with upgraded software, of course).
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Sorry but this harware start to be old (6 or 7 years) and usually, for such an old harware, all the main bugs should have disappeared.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I sincerely hope you are at least making the best of your time while waiting for an update, JoPo. Whining won't make your life easier, just more painful... :razz:
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

:grin:
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's almost all nice parts. it works as well as anything, although there are improvements that need to be made. cwa IS listening and they ARE doing something to improve the platform. there are probably no more than 30 people in the company. they make the real money doing oem work. they do scope because they love it, so be sure that they're working on it.

p.s....i often don't have the problems that any given poster might be sure are pure bugs. there are many places that a computer can fail...(i haven't verified this complaint) if it's a bug, everyone should know about it and then it can be worked around. ALL computer operations are prone to bugs. they are not always the result of neglect(though they certainly can be!).
okantah

Post by okantah »

Hi JoPo.
The Creamware CARDs are not just a soundcard,it's completely unique pro.studio,just relax back,to imagine that a common soundcard ? and you need to knowlegde yourself with this studio sound card and also the computer's(MC or PC) where this soundcard is going to function as a studio is another big problem.you need knowlegde about both,without that you will not be SURE.for the STS series also read the manual they are one of best samplers.
They offer all of the features that one would expect from the most professional studio samplers. BUT one must follow the rules(READ THE MANUAL) success to your new begining.
cheers

And, for being polite, I will not talk about the STS series !!! Which I bought all. (ouch ! my painfull ass)
ankrah
okantah

Post by okantah »

Meaning ?
emzee

Post by emzee »

I remember a comment made about most of the problems relating to old hardware. Is it possible the Pulsar 1 is causing a glitch with your P4?

I'd be pulling my hair out if this sort of thing happened to me too...... but it doesn't....... any more. I'm getting better at driving this wunderkind.
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, after a mere 20 years in so-called 'IT' business the word UPDATE does only one thing for me
IT RINGS THE ALARM :razz:

Apple 'updated' a perfectly running system into complete instability with their OS versions 8 and 9 after detecting that users simply sticked for too long with their boxes.

It's not enough that you're a loyal customer (as Apple users generally are to an almost unhealthy extend), NO - you have to pay the fee when they think it's due.

Since there were still too much backdoors to cheat in those OS versions, Apple changed firmware and boot process and you were forced to UPDATE to a completely NEW OS.

Which in fact is so old that Apple in their early days used to to kid about it in their own ads 'shell commands - LOL - don't try to become a machine...' :grin:

They also seem to have given up their former strategy of hiring highly qualified ('the best') engineers, but generously invited ANYONE by open sourcing a lot of their stuff.

It's so much easier to mess things with more people involved - and so much more convenient if those are not on your salary list :razz:

One may wonder why M$soft isn't mentioned - well, they never really lacked the proof of complete inability to create anything mind-touching (let alone ground breaking) on their own.
ALL of the companies assets are bought together from all over the world and cleverly re-marketed...
YES, you guessed it : UPDATED :razz:

cheers, Tom

ps: that's nothing but a subjective observation what's written above - and I make (most of) my living by providing consulting services to guide people through...
YES, it's UPDATES again :grin:
braincell

Post by braincell »

As long as Creamware offers free updates for the SFP, there will be no incentive for them to make updates quickly or with major improvements.

That is what we refer to in business terminology as a "free" market system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2005-06-28 08:49 ]</font>
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

On 2005-06-28 08:47, braincell wrote:
As long as Creamware offers free updates for the SFP, there will be no incentive for them to make updates quickly or with major improvements.

That is what we refer to in business terminology as a "free" market system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2005-06-28 08:49 ]</font>
If Creamware gave us option of things to update and price to do it,I would contribute.
Love this system.
cream

Post by cream »

This is funny..

Since 3 days i've been experimenting with the optimaster. Sometimes when I load one, sfp completely shuts down and i have to restart again. Also when i load a project with the optimaster in it (one or two), sfp sometimes shuts down. I thought my project file was corrupt! But then after a couple of times trying it worked again. I can name lots of bugs but then again sometimes it seems I am the only one that has them.It's really,really frustrating but i keep trying cause i really like these cards and don't know any good alternative.
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2005-06-28 19:00, Music Manic wrote:

If Creamware gave us option of things to update and price to do it,I would contribute.
Love this system.
maybe you would (as an honest person), but there are world class 3rd party plugins available for bargain, whose unit numbers of sales can at best be called a shame...

if people don't buy a $100 reverb that would easily yield $500-700 on other platforms, refuse a modular extension that doesn't even have a competion or long for a certain synth infection while more versatile, better sounding stuff is available for a fraction of the cost... just forget it... :roll:

cheers, Tom
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2005-06-29 15:03, cream wrote:
...I can name lots of bugs but then again sometimes it seems I am the only one that has them...
it's very, very difficult to isolate SFP related bugs.
An SFP bug is 'valid' only in the context of DSP code execution controlled by the interface software (GUI) and in certain situations when the afforementioned do low level driver communication.
And it's 'valid' only if it appears reproducable on all systems.

Myself I had 2 (identical) Windows installations on exchangeable disks for some time. Both produced different errors, one did more, one less.
You name it - the one which had more software up- and downinstalls was the less stable one :razz:

and finally one cannot expect a company of CWA's size to rewrite such a huge system because M$ or the mobo maker gang made a couple of jokes again :wink:

cheers, Tom
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2005-06-29 15:03, cream wrote:
This is funny..
I can name lots of bugs but then again sometimes it seems I am the only one that has them.
if you are the only one that has them they probably are not bugs. A bug should really be reproducable under similar circumstances on other people's systems. People are so quick to label anything that goes wrong with their system a bug, without considering the fact that there may be other factors involved (hardware, other software)