TOS-link

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

I have bought a TOS link cable (Monster cable) to connect my Noah adat out to my Pulsar I adat input. I can't make the TOS link fit in the NOAH! I have tried to connect a digital cable that came with my Sony minidisk, it looks pretty similar to the TOS link, and that fitted just fine, but it is coaxial in the opposite end.

What cable can I use for my purpose?

Neb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nebukadneser on 2005-01-10 07:37 ]</font>
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

Does the end of the monster cable have a plastic molding? I've had to remove plastic moldings from the end of TOS-link cables because they prevent you from using them a lot of the time - whose bright idea was it to make them that way?

Otherwise, if it doesn't fit, is it possible it's not in fact a TOS-link cable? If the Sony digital cable 'fits just fine' its end should match your TOS-link cable exactly. Maybe you could post a picture of these cables?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid Len on 2005-01-10 17:58 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

I had to cut some bulk from some lightpipe cables to get them to fit. Some are are a bit wide. These were consumer-level pipes, and had extra unneeded plastic around the plugs.
at0m

Post by at0m »

You're not the only one complaining about Monster :grin:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

I was thinking that when I read about his problem. I don't even have any Monster cables myself - they're ludicrously overpriced! (And yes, that particular company has as much integrity as Bill Gates.) I find a lot of TOSlink cable manufacturers put those stupid ends on the cord, and when you have a card like the Pulsar, there's no way to make the cable fit. A pair of pliers should help you remove the endpiece (carefully) and then it will fit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid Len on 2005-01-11 02:07 ]</font>
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

The tip of the Sony and the Monster are identical. But, the Sony plug is flat all over and connects easily to my Noah. What prevents me from using the Monster seems to be the sudden expansion of the plug just below the tip or "head". It is very thick, probably to make it easier to hold, but it stops the plug from connecting to my socket.

Neb
time_chase

Post by time_chase »

for adat connection applications, can you use any TOSlink cable? (i.e. stuff you buy at any electronics store?). Is there any benefit using something like monster stuff compared to 'yum cha' brands?

btw, getting my new noah ex next week!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

probably no difference. real glass cables are preferable to the synthetic fiber because the real glass is a superior light conductor, making it less error prone especially in longer runs... the sound is essentially the same, though(between cheap and expensive). i use the basic hosa cables with no problems.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I use hosa too. They are cheap and work for me.