Pulsar II vs. Powercore

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lionel_talkover

Post by lionel_talkover »

COncerning reverbs, the sonictimeworks 4080 is far better from protools reverb, no problem. The kind of loud reverb and reverb one are greater for parameters and the first is real 5.1 but sonictimework make an incredible work. The masterverb is also a real success, no metallic delay, no real color anyway, but extremely great device. Don't think protools have better plugs concerning reverb. In term of compression, yes Protools and its Bomb factory are terrible. If the developement of pulsar is good, perhaps Bomb factory will make us some stuffs. For the moment Protools have goog plugs cause a lot of third are working for it.
I don't know really the TC card, but it can't be a pulsar. There only a few plugs, even if they are great, no doubt, the pulsar is much more...
captain kirkus

Post by captain kirkus »

Pulsar synths rule the world and the modular cant be beat by waldorf or any systen ala digitalis..I love pulsar and it has changed my life.I dont care much about reverbs but the ones on oasys rule over pulsar and there synths rule too just not as much as pulsars..On pc nothing compares to pulsar..
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

On 2001-09-29 02:02, captain kirkus wrote:
..I love pulsar and it has changed my life.I dont care much about reverbs but the ones on oasys rule over pulsar and there synths rule too just not as much as pulsars..On pc nothing compares to pulsar..
What kinda music do you use the Pulsar for and what kinda outboard gear do you have?

Cheers,

Acid :roll:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I wonder if there´s a way to use both cards in one system and have them working together directly without the typical latency via the VST-environment. These two would make a nice pair for real high end synth-sounds and digital mixing...
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

Is impossible to do accurate comparissons between boards that have onboard memory for load the DSP modules and others like Pulsar that use the RAM of the computer for this purpose.

We could criticize Pulsar design (also due it's type of design is an unexpensive hi-end board)but is not logic to wait things that are only possible with other type of hardware.

For to be clear, Pulsar will never match the quality of a Lexicon 480 or 960 for the simple reason that the amount of PCI channels required for to do it is by far superior than those that the PCI bus of a computer can offer.

This does not mean that there are excellent and interesting reverb designs , like STW4080L , EarlyFirst PT-xxxx line and the Masterverb.

But like to have the best Steinway, don't guarantee that somebody will be the better pianist, to have the best hardware processors don't assure that he will do the best mixes or be the a better musician.
garyb

Post by garyb »

pablofasan wrote:"But like to have the best Steinway, don't guarantee that somebody will be the better pianist, to have the best hardware processors don't assure that he will do the best mixes or be the a better musician"

YES.
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

For to be clear, Pulsar will never match the quality of a Lexicon 480 or 960 for the simple reason that the amount of PCI channels required for to do it is by far superior than those that the PCI bus of a computer can offer.
Oh, is that so? Tell more about it, cause I can't believe that..... I could even say BULLSHIT! No algorythm can be broader than the PCI.... imagine the size it would need and development.... The 480L is not a multi-channel FX and thus requiring less hog. So put two and two together and stop posting amateur bullshit....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-10-16 14:08 ]</font>
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

As is evident that you are an expert, please explain to all the forum, with technical terms, what do you think about this matter.

The only experience that you have showed here up today, is your ability of to bitch everybody.

Ah, please in english.
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Pablo, fuck off, I didn't go personal on my last post. I simply said bullshit to the statement, not to you. I'm intrested in seing the actual data flow on a 480L from 1993? or 1994?

So please, go play with cakewalk instead of commenting something I never did. (bitching for ex.)

I'm hoping to see a decent post from you. So far nothing. Bah!

Btw, do you even know how much the PCI bus takes? Or even a funnier question; How much bandwith does the 480L have on it's bus? I'm sure it has busses...

If you think my english suxs, or it's hard to understand I'd be delighted to write in a more suitable one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-10-17 15:43 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

HEhe Pablo, did you know that your beloved 480L with that much data flow passing it's system, (rendering PCI useless) uses standard Intel 486 type 32-pin DIMM RAM?

How's that for english?
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Stop that agressivity...

I think anybody would agree that the 480 sounds absoluty awesome.

It's less interresting what system specs it's performed at, it's the algoryhtm that makes the magic...

And the timeworks sounds amazing, but it's not quite there (alot of money is between thoose too), but damn close, and good enough to fake it, so who cares, it's seldom that a solo vocal or anything solo is present in a mix, and if you want reality theres nothing else than quantec. The true power of lexicons is how they blend in a mix. The timeworks does that GREAT too.
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamus.dk
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

We run several TC M5000's at work, we used to have one 480L but the development these past years have catched up and passed the ability of the 480L. I'd love to hear the new Lexicon & TC Electronics Flagships. We have already a demo of the M6000 awesome.
I'm still waiting to hear something better than the M6000. Just remember; reverbs are to be used with ease.

I'm not that agressive, it's just that Pablo has a habit being personal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-10-19 13:26 ]</font>