DIY LFO Tool with Modular III/BC Modular - possible?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

ron3113

DIY LFO Tool with Modular III/BC Modular - possible?

Post by ron3113 »

Hi Scopers,

I'm trying to achieve something, I thought would be very simple, but might not be.

I am running Scope 7 w/ Modular III and the BC Modular installed. I'm on Win7 64-bit.

I am trying to build a modular patch, which will send an LFO signal in midi CC format to CTRLR - a freeware editor program, which I am using to edit my Kawai K3. CTRLR would then, in turn, send a SYSEX signal to the K3. The LFO signal should be synced to my DAW (currently, I am using AKAI MPC 2). If I could achieve this, I would be able to modulate the Kawai's filter cutoff and other parameters in time with the DAW, which would open a whole world of greatness.

My problem is - and I may be getting the basics wrong here - that I can't figure out a way to convert the modular's LFO signal to a midi signal. I can get midi into the modular and there, using the LFO modules, generate an LFO signal to control parameters of sound generators and other modules internal to the modular. No problem. But when it comes to converting that signal back into midi, I can't find a module that will get me there.

Am I simply trying to do something that the modular is not designed to do, or am I overlooking something?

[Sorry - just changed the headline to avoid anyone looking for the solution rather than the problem from being disappointed by the post]
valis

Re: DIY LFO Tool with Modular III/BC Modular - possible?

Post by valis »

Going from Mod to CC isn't so bad inside the PC but if you're sending this out of a physical midi port there's going to be a lot of data. Especially once you convert to sysex...this will likely need to be thinned out to prevent note dropouts (some midi interfaces do this for you, depending on the DAW they're connected to).

I suggest you use your midi automation in your sequencer.
borg

Post by borg »

this is something I used to do a whooooole lot of time ago, and can't test right now... I remember connecting the output of 'modifiers' to a val monitor module (might need flexor for this) assign the readout bar of the val monitor to a cc (left click), and connect the midi out of the patch to your destination. I remember it working...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

there are 1000 modular modules, and many devices that do the job. I jam every production with it. :P
it is true. there will be a lot of data very quickly. I also experimented a lot with sounddiver and midiquest. unfortunately the joy was / is extremely limited with sysex "automation"
valis wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 am I suggest you use your midi automation in your sequencer.
YEP!
ron3113 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:19 am convert the modular's LFO signal to a midi signal
ron3113 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:19 am send a SYSEX signal to the K3.
check:
https://bcmodular-guide.000webhostapp.com/chapter/MIDI.html
preview stuff soon: with fokus on MIDI ;)
https://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=342913#p339597
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
ron3113

Post by ron3113 »

Thanks a lot for all of your replies, guys. I'm amazed at how helpful this community is :-)

I'll start my education beginning from your suggestions and will check back as I progress.

(BTW: That last patch looks insane. I'm going to show it to my wife as a warning of when to pull the plug on my computer... :wink: )