Anyone got a VCS3 patch for Modular ?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Anyone got a VCS3 patch for Modular ?

Post by dante »

I'm talkin 'On The Run' type sounds (Dark Side Of The Moon) - even if I have to do the sequence myself. There's SynthEdit based ones - or this expensive VST
https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech ... s-3-219968 which I may cave and get one day. Just thought would be a nice patch to show off Modular with, and sound better than native.
astroman

Re: Anyone got a VCS3 patch for Modular ?

Post by astroman »

there is a modular patch called Synthi (or similiar) based on the architecture of the VCS3.
I like the iPad version a lot, which captures the bizarre internals of the thing in a well respected way.
(and recently got a significant update of the filter)
It's one of the best synth apps in IOS, a constant source of surprise.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes the iPad VCS3 is a very accurate app of the original hardware, and a lot of fun too.

Scope wise, Roy Thinnes created a very nice device influenced by the Synthi, so that is definitely worth a look.

http://www.cwmodular.org/device-cwmsynthi.html
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, that's the one I had in mind... but I never compared the two... :oops:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Hi dante; Just curious to know, was there something special about the sound of the VCS3? Or would any synth with a decent sounding analog OSC be able to replicate the sound for the most part? It just seems to me after playing around with the iOS version for a couple of years that it takes a considerable amount of time just getting that thing to sound musical. Granted it's great for bleeps and blorps and other weird sounding stuff but as far as sequencing, my guess would be the groups that used it, used it because there weren't a whole lot of other options at the time and it was reasonably priced.
just for your info, I have broken down the sequence for "On the Run" into a midi part. If you're interested I can email it to you.
If not then no worries. I'm always curious what you and others are doing so please keep us informed
You can listen to the part I created here at the end done on the SB404: https://soundcloud.com/yayajohn/breathe2
Granted a very lame attempt LOL but you get the gist. Hopefully you can make it sound better and complete the project I never finished.
(I may have already posted this some time ago, I don't remember)

Take care

Dan
astroman

Post by astroman »

It's probably the access to controls and how they act/interact on the VCS surface.
I just switched to the iVCS3 (as I'm typing on the tablet) and within minutes I had something similiar to the Pink Floyd sequence running and could dial it into a Canned Heat like Blues Shuffle just by osc3 slipped into the circuit via ringmod.

No idea how that works exactly, but that's what I like about the design of this synth.
You need some tweak attempts to get an idea how the current patch will react, but after that it's always rewarding.
An important aspect is the precision of the big oscillator dials (mechanical gear support on the hardware afaik) which is really well implemented in the IOS version.

It's not perfect (the patch field and osc dials don't fit on a single sceen), but the operation of the thing is almost as direct as hardware.