Modular Patch Crashing

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Modular Patch Crashing

Post by yayajohn »

I've created a patch in Mod IV and modified it into oblivion and now it is crashing Scope when I try to load it. Not sure what is happening since the last 6 version modifications of the same patch are now also crashing Scope when they were working fine before.
I have removed certain modules/devices from the their respective directories one at a time and tried to reload the patch and also reinstalled the base Mod IV files., all to no avail.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, otherwise I guess it's back to the drawing board.
Win7 64bit
roy thinnes

Re: Modular Patch Crashing

Post by roy thinnes »

-Did you use a SampleOsc module?
-maybe you could try a lower Sampling rate and/or ULLI setting
-can you try to load it on a different system? If not, you can upload it here so others can check if it crashes.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks Roy

no SampleOSC, i'm at 44.1 and tried lowering the UULI. Crashes on the PCI computer too.
I guess I will have to reconstruct then. I just don't understand why it would load before and then just start to crash, it must have gotten corrupted.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Misplaced files during saves does this to me.
Scope directory shows the path to modules but sometimes saves where you may have visited.
Leaves you with 2 patches with the same name in different folders.
I get hardware 30 warnings when 2 projects are copied to different folders.
With modular the app is already running so at least it started up.
Id look for the module or patch duplicated somewhere.
Or erase 1 and then run search for the duplicate save .....

Just a thought.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

yayajohn wrote: I just don't understand why it would load before and then just start to crash
I have other examples of weird behavior like that one. Projects that won't load when it was exactly the same before. C'est comme ça ! :roll:

ps : Yaya ! You gave me the idea to use 2 pc... How do you od for that ? How your both machines are linked ? ADAT, analog, midi, lan, vienna ensemble pro ? Tell me more ! (maybe on pm or on another thread, it might be interresting for other users...)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote: ...to use 2 pc... How do you od for that ? How your both machines are linked ?
Before Yaya jumps in, here´s my solution for the time being:

I have 2 machines, one w/ SCOPE PCI and the other w/ XITE-1 connected.

Both machines are connected via PCI card and XITE-1 physical MIDI.
(for more flexibility, I use a MIDI matrix switcher for this)

SCOPE PCI analogue audio I/O is connected to a mixer (2 subgroups out to PCI / PCI out to 2 input-channels),- just only to hear something when operating the 2nd machine only.
That mixer´s main outs go into XITE-1 analogue Ins !
XITE-1 analogue audio outs are connected to a passive volume knob and to the monitor system (amp/speakers)

One of the PCI card´s ADAT I/O runs to XITE-1 ADAT I/O offering 8 channel bi-directional digital audio transfer between both the PCI card and XITE-1.

There´s a 8-channel AD/DA connected to XITE-1´s 2nd ADAT I/O offering 4 more analogue stereo- or 8 mono- I/Os on XITE-1.

The XITE-1 is (audio-) master and the PCI card in the 2nd machine as well as the AD/DA are slaves.

Using MIDI clock and/or MTC syncs both machines via MIDI and make your main sequencer MIDI master while another app running on your 2nd machine might become MIDI slave.

Up to now, for me, both machines are 32Bit Windows,- 64Bit, at least for one machine, next future ...
I´m also interested in a Ferrofish A32 to get 16 analogue I/Os for PCI card as well as for XITE-1, using all the 4 ADAT I/Os of the A32.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Nice one !

I just started to use 2 pc. Like you. The old one = 13 dsp PCI (via 3 card : pulsar 1 = 4 dsp + 3 dsp card + 6 dsp card without i/o), new one = Xite-1. Both linked via Copperlan (excellent) and gigabit/s lan - 16 adat i/o between Xite & PCI - Vienna ensemble pro (fantastic) for using the ancient pc CPU ressource for VST (instrument or FX) within Cubase 8 on the new pc -> this way, I keep the 16 i/o adat between xite & pci for bringing back my both Luna analog i/o to the xite and my pci cards are there for reverbs (like an external rack) : 3 master verb pro + 1 SC - Plate.

It's just awesome ! Yaya gave me that idea : to keep my ancient pc to increase processing power. I advise vienna ensemble pro for those using VST & 2 pc with gigabit lan. It's amazing. :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud the Fish is coming in another month.
Rumor has it 10 units are being torture tested somewhere in Xuajuan Province under heavy guard by Red Chinese soldiers.....
#0001 awaits the first brave one.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks for the tips guys. I have spent enough time on this already and I thankfully have a saved much previous version but not too unlike the last six revisions so I can just build it again but probably take the opportunity to build it better since I have learned new some new things since then particularly in the BC category. What I would like to learn is how to avoid this in the future and maybe it's as dawman describes so I will def watch out for that.

Jopo, well Bud covered it pretty well and from what you describe, I think you already have it.
Mine is a bit simpler. Xite and PCI connected via ADAT 8in/8out. I have midi connected thru a Midex8 but don't use it, instead I just use Copperlan for most of my midi. I pretty much use the PCI now as a separate external instrument and send everything into the Xite.
To tell you the truth I rarely even fire up my PCI cards anymore but it's still nice to have available. Only for STS, VDAT, Zarg-Sequencers and stuff.

Regards

Dan
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

ronnie wrote: ...
Well Ronnie, you gave me that idea ...

:D

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Bud the Fish is coming in another month.
Rumor has it 10 units are being torture tested somewhere in Xuajuan Province under heavy guard by Red Chinese soldiers....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dawman wrote: #0001 awaits the first brave one.
That will be you I think ...

:wink:

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: ... I just use Copperlan for most of my midi.
That´s my future plan too.
But first, I´ll have to break down my studio, move,- and then set up all new which will need some time.

I still have too much hardware being connected to the MIDI switchers from the past.
Alyseum can replace all but doing that switch and buying a Ferrofish A32 actually breaks the bank.

I don´t have to make changes urgently this year and maybe we see SCOPE 6 w/ Copperlan embedded in 2016.
That´s what I hope for.
yayajohn wrote: I pretty much use the PCI now as a separate external instrument and send everything into the Xite.
To tell you the truth I rarely even fire up my PCI cards anymore but it's still nice to have available. Only for STS, VDAT, Zarg-Sequencers and stuff.
Same here.
I have only 1 PCI card, 15DSP ...
But it will run all the devices using sample OSCs until the card dies and when I upgraded to 64Bit w/ XITE-1.

Bud
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

:lol:
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote: That will be you I think ... :wink:
Bud
Actually I cannot. I was tasked with building another PA from the ground up.
Old TC, Roland, Lexicon, Aphex, dbx quad comps, and a Toft mixer with a full on QSC KW series PA.
Now I have 2 x PAs one for each gig I do, plus 2 cities to go entertain drunks.
No more money until Christmas time.

But you'd love the rich hot middle aged Biker girls I met that hired us for 2 private functions.
I will definitely be sharing the pictures of them and their amazing custom bikes that are probably
worth more than all the gear I own.
Oktoberfest will definitely be festive.
Might even get my Dog walked......... :D
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote:
I still have too much hardware being connected to the MIDI switchers from the past.
Alyseum can replace all but doing that switch and buying a Ferrofish A32 actually breaks the bank.
Bud
Bud if you can find a used Midex8 they work pretty well from my experience. I found one on Ebay for 80USD last year and Win7+64bit drivers which should translate to the next few Win OS revisions. A lot cheaper than Alyseum! I finally had to dump my Unitor8 and AMT8 when I kissed XP goodbye, that was painful - good machines those were.

Bud Weiser wrote: Same here.
I have only 1 PCI card, 15DSP ...
But it will run all the devices using sample OSCs until the card dies and when I upgraded to 64Bit w/ XITE-1.
Bud
You are going to keep the PCI on 32bit aren't you?