Chaos LFO's.....Lorenz & Rössler Attractors

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Chaos LFO's.....Lorenz & Rössler Attractors

Post by dawman »

These are fascinating amd actually generate their own audio as tgstgs's WaViewer demonstrates.
X and Y axis are the basic vertical and horizontal, and Z is for depth or 3D.
Does anyone know of a 3D VST plug that would allow me to view this.
I have no clue what I am doing but I know these Attractors were used to create Spiral patterns for Kontakt's Surround Panner, and I am hoping that Modualr IV has this capability.
Even if it won't play them I could use this to create Scripts for Kontakt or even control somehow from Scope.

Thank You,
julian

Re: Chaos LFO's.....Lorenz & Rössler Attractors

Post by julian »

did a quick google search
http://www.cmp.caltech.edu/~mcc/Chaos_C ... Demo8.html
simple java applet... there are better ones, but it shows rössler, lorenz and duffing

so long,
julian
dawman

Post by dawman »

The example of using this to emulate Analog drift is very useful.
Dt being the speed ( Delta ) of the Oscillator now makes total sense.

Thanks J... :wink:
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

If you want to get down and dirty with fractals and attractors, use them to pump MIDI out to Scope for pitch, velocity, whatever; or to look at graphs of them in 2d (or 3d projections onto a 2d screen), or do both at once, my ArtWonk does all this. It's algorithmic, after all. The player with a ton of fractal examples is available for free download at my web site. Look in the Fractals folder, and in the Packages folders.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
dawman

Post by dawman »

JD,
Thanks for the ArtWonk 4.0 trial.
These modules are fascinating and I am hoping you could help.
In Kontakt they have Surround Panner patterns that are too precise to be done by hand.
JLCooper has a surround panner that is also capable of using patterns for special effects.
Since the Chaos Modules have audio generated, can the audio be sent through ArtWonk and converted to MIDI, and then maybe use the converted audio to MIDI control a Surround Panner?
I love the techies over at NI and the way they have implemented these surround patterns for Kontakt, and so far everyone at NI is dodging the question.
Other than using the Chaos Modules for authentic Analog drift using a super slow Dt I want to create patterns to use in Scope w/ Surround 7.1.
Kontakt is using a basic 2D spiral, and I am hoping for a 3D capability.
I can create the spiral I want visually using ArtWonk and then convert the pattern to MIDI correct..?
If so, this is indeed what I am after.
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

The Mod4 chaos modules produce audio control, values from -1 to 1, like the LFOs, the same value range as audio but at a slower rate. So your problem is how to get these values out to a file. Once it's in a file - most any kind of file - then ArtWonk can import it via its DataBin module.

You may be able to play games with VDAT, changing the 44.1 kHz it expects, so you can record the control stream as audio without a lot of duplicating. I don't know. It would require a lot of messing around.

Certainly you can convert to a MIDI stream (you need to offset and range, so the -1 to 1 control translates to 0 to 127 MIDI), and record the MIDI or send it directly to ArtWonk and either use it as a stream or record it and then disassemble it (there is a tutorial on how to do this) into sequencer array components and go from there.

Anyway, once you have the data outside of Scope, and in a file, then ArtWonk can read it and use it anyway you want.

I would suggest an easier way would be to use ArtWonk to produce the fractals - it has the same ones plus a hell of a lot more. Warren Burt did a post doc year studying fractals, and putting them into ArtWonk Packages, along with documentation, examples, etc. He also was kind enough to redo the main module Fractal documentation. So there is an abundance of information on them at the click of your mouse. ArtWonk fractals produce floating point output, same as Scope, and there are the usual (and some unusual) modules for scaling for graphics or for MIDI, or whatever.
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com