ON HOLD:pulsar 15 dsp card for sale

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

ON HOLD:pulsar 15 dsp card for sale

Post by the19thbear »

ON HOLD. Will not sell at this time. Will get back in the future.

Original post:

Thought I was getting back to scope, but I have realized that the platform is not for me for now. Just signed on a house and will need to collect all the cash i can to get money for fixing stuff.
So scope must go sadly.

15dsp gen 2 card.
Comes with v7 of the scope sdk along with scope v7
also:
dNa-Summer-of-82
dNa-Super8Tracker
dNa-MonoCOMP
dNa-StereoCOMP
dNa-Tape Echo

The card has one issue though!

Midi input via the midi in DIN is not working correctly. You get garbled midi.
I have taken apart the DIN plug itself to check it. But could not detect any errors. The housing of the MIDI in is therefore broken. (you can solder another on easily).

This might just be a cable whip problem or it might be a plate problem or it might be an issue with the card itself.

I can run midi into it fine via a usb/midi interface.
Other than that I have not run into any problems at all.

I don't really know the prices these days, but I'm asking 650 euro + shipping. (seems legit?)

I'm a long time user here (since early 2000s), so you should be able to trust me;)

DON'T PM ME!
Email me instead:
the19thbear ADD gmail DOT com

Have a great day

:)
Attachments
IMG_1641 rotate.jpg
IMG_1641 rotate.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 4099 times
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4100 times
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 4100 times
Last edited by the19thbear on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
the19thbear

Re: pulsar 15 dsp card for sale

Post by the19thbear »

Too expensive? Or do the soundcards not sell that well anymore?
Thanks
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

You might consider that in this forum many guys already own high end cards.
The broken Midi input might also be an issue, as not everyone is happy to do midi-bridging outside a pure scope project.
A picture of your card would helpful to show the number of DSP and IO-configuration.
Just my 2cent ;-)
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Thanks:) Have added pictures. But will go on Ebay soon if no one here is interested.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I've recently bought one for 300 euros. That might have been a pretty good deal, but I think 650 may be a bit high.
That said, I am still confused about the high prices in the Scope universe. Software and maybe hardware too.
valis

Post by valis »

300 ish is correct.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

the19thbear wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:20 am ... scope must go sadly.

Comes with v7 of the scope sdk along with scope v7
also:
dNa-Summer-of-82
dNa-Super8Tracker
dNa-MonoCOMP
dNa-StereoCOMP
dNa-Tape Echo

The card has one issue though!

Midi input via the midi in DIN is not working correctly. You get garbled midi.
I have taken apart the DIN plug itself to check it. But could not detect any errors. The housing of the MIDI in is therefore broken. (you can solder another on easily).

This might just be a cable whip problem or it might be a plate problem or it might be an issue with the card itself.
When the card were fully working incl. MIDI and if it were a 2nd gen. 15DSP card,- together w/ SCOPE v7 and SDK v7 you could get a somewhat better price than ~ EUR300,-.
So, is it a gen1 or gen2 card ?
The label shows 04.2001, so it might be one of the old ones introducing nearly twice the latency of a gen2 card.

And,- it is a defect card, issue not precisely identified,- and we all know the DNA devices came for free when buying SCOPE v7.

For everyone already owning SCOPE v7,- only the SDK would have a value and when removing cable-whip and plate, the card is just only a booster.

Now think about yourself what you´d be willing to pay for such discontinued piece of gear ?

EUR 650,- + shipping is way too much IMO.

Bud
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Thanks for the input. It’s a gen 2 card. 15dsp.
Make me an offer if you are interested. Will probably be going on eBay sometime in January.

Merry Christmas and happy new year:)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

the19thbear wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:59 am Thanks for the input. It’s a gen 2 card. 15dsp.
Make me an offer if you are interested. Will probably be going on eBay sometime in January.
As I said, I´m irritated by your line in 1st post:
"This might just be a cable whip problem or it might be a plate problem or it might be an issue with the card itself"

... just because I don´t have the knowledge testing CW PCI cards in depth.

Fixing a cable whip would be easiest IMO and I own "Plus" and "Z-Link" plates for an exchange WHEN only the plate of your card were defective.
But I cannot test the DSP circuit board for issues/failure.

I´d 1st need a trustworthy statement making evident MIDI issues are always matter of the I/O plate of a Creamware DSP PCI card.

If it´s the card itself, I fear it can go into the bin and then one has to look how to swap the software over to another card.
I know there´s the option of key transfer for EUR 99,- ... but I´m unsure about if it´s for devices only or if it is for everything,- SCOPE itself, SDK in addition AND all devices being registered to that card.

I´d need more info !
the19thbear wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:59 am Merry Christmas and happy new year:)
ditto

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

plugin devices only....
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:42 am plugin devices only....
Thank you, Gary,- that´s what I feared.

Bud
Joey

Post by Joey »

So, if I understand correctly, all the audio in and outs are working correctly? And the software runs, no strange crashes? Have you tried filling up all the dsp's? (I mean, loading as many devices as possible)
Will you ship? If yes, where on the world are you located?
Joop
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Hi. Yes I will ship (buyer pays shipping). Located in Denmark.

Last time I tested was a couple of months ago and everything worked fine. analog ins and outs, Adat ins and outs. I did a masterverb test, but i suspect I got pci overflow before the dsps were filled.
But since you seem genuinly interested, I will do a more thorough test and write back in this thread within a couple of days.

And yes, if CW were still around, I would love to get a schematic of the card and try to follow the midi path myself and swap out the defective part.

I have had no strange crashes (no crashes at all actually)

garyb

Post by garyb »

it is probably just a cable whip problem.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Bummer. The computer I wanted to test it in, the cabinet I too small to fit a big dsp card (my brothers computer). Don’t want to sell it before I can test thoroughly.
It will be a while before I have time to find another computer and test (moving to a new house in 2 months so have lots of other things to do). Putting the card on hold for now. Will write back when I get an opportunity to test it.
astroman

Re: ON HOLD:pulsar 15 dsp card for sale

Post by astroman »

I‘ve also experienced (occasional) Midi mess with a cable whip, not consistent, may be bad contact or temporary short.
Sometimes the optocouplers of the midi line seem to loose sensitivity. With another external device it suddenly works.
Imho it‘s extremely unlikely that a damaged circuit or DSP(s) just produce midi errors, but no other side effects.
valis

Post by valis »

Midi is one of the most susceptible things in my studio to ground noise and other issues, and I find that varies a great deal by the gear used as well. g.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm I‘ve also experienced (occasional) Midi mess with a cable whip, not consistent, may be bad contact or temporary short.
Sometimes the optocouplers of the midi line seem to loose sensitivity.
Maybe, but then it´s card´s/cable whip´s malfunction nonetheless.
astroman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm With another external device it suddenly works.
You get lowest MIDI jitter/latency only w/ direct MIDI I/O of the cards/ XITE.
Stop thinking "DAW, recording/mixing" always where many workarounds are a solution.
I route my MIDI controller keyboard(s) directly into the cards and/or XITE and play.
astroman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm Imho it‘s extremely unlikely that a damaged circuit or DSP(s) just produce midi errors, but no other side effects.
Yeah, but a card has to work perfect, otherwise it´s defect.

When it´s "only" the cable whip,- it should be fixed by the seller, not the buyer.
When the buyer must/shall do, the card must be cheaper.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:13 pm Midi is one of the most susceptible things in my studio to ground noise and other issues, and I find that varies a great deal by the gear used as well. g.
It should be possible to test a single SCOPE PCI card isolated from most other studio gear in a machine offering a PCI slot and it should be possible to measure connectivity of the cable whip´s MIDI I/Os.
A MIDI cable for a MIDI I/O loop, "MIDI Test" software as well as a meter will do.
When it´s the connector or the cable, it´s a soldering job, if not ... worst case.

It (unfortunately) needs some effort to sell aged electonic gear.

Bud
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

@the19thbear:
I recently sold a P2-card to user interference, whos card showed pci problems.
As your card might have a defect on the piggypack-board, you could as him to send you his old card ( or at least the piggypack).
The piggybacks are the same for 6DSP and 14DSP cards.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///