looking for a sync plate

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

looking for a sync plate

Post by Joey »

I would like to sync my system with the rest of my studio.
I guess I would need a sync plate for that.
Located in the Netherlands
Bud Weiser

Re: looking for a sync plate

Post by Bud Weiser »

Extremely rare it seems ...

I search the web frequently w/ no success since more than a year.

So YES,- I want one TOO !!!

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can also sync via ADAT or SP/Dif(AES/EBU).

we are talking about audio clock sync, not midi sync, right?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 am you can also sync via ADAT or SP/Dif(AES/EBU).

we are talking about audio clock sync, not midi sync, right?
Yes,- and I´m aware of the other sync scenarios, at least ADAT, which I always used w/ AD/DA, ASIO soundcard and only 1 computer.

Now, it will be all about creating a setup of several machines,- SCOPE PCI, XITE-1 and RME around startype BNC wordclock sync and MIDI connected via switch matrix,- possibly network WHEN reliability (jitter/latency) and routing/processing features are good enough.

2 A16 Ultra (CW & S|C "blackface") a RME AD/DA and the old Swissonic AD24 (8 XLR In > ADAT) for Yamaha TX816,- in the ballpark as well.

So, while waiting for SCOPE 7.1 64Bit update I search for a sync plate in good condition for SCOPE PCI.
IMO, it would be ideal connecting everything individualy to masterclock,- no ?

Actually I´m unsure if I were able working around the lack of sync plate by connecting only A16Ultra to BNC-WC, A16Ultra itself connected to SCOPE PCI via ADAT I/O.
When that works in a combination of several machines as discribed above, sync plate might be obsolete,- but I´m not sure.

AND, for the time being, that´s only the plan for near future and depending on if SCOPE 7.1 64Bit will bring back BNC wordclock functionality.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I needed bnc in 2003 with 45’ ADAT runs. In 2019 I have not one but two additional machines with RME cards running to my scope box with only ADAT & AES just fine. The cables have improved, dropped in price, and RME’s steadyclock handles sync just fine.
garyb

Post by garyb »

as long as everything has one clock, it's fine.
a syncplate is a good thing, but it's not the difference between good and bad production.
with so many devices to sync, a master clock/distributor is the way to go, but using ADAT or AES or Sp/Dif for Scope will work fine until you get a syncplate. just slave to a bnc-clocked device. if you had a top-notch, finely-tuned studio and platinum ears, you would hear the difference between clocking bia ADAT and clocking via bnc, otherwise, not...

i use a syncplate(not selling it), but i've also used other methods of transmitting clock. it's always been swell. the main advantage to bnc, is that it's not tricky when clocking a number of items. as much as possible, you do NOT want the clock signal to be serial. you want it parallel. one device serially clocked won't necessarily result in an avalanche of errors. however, the more devices in a serial chain, the greater the chance of trouble. a bnc wordclock distributor is a parallel device.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Yes, I can use different clocking methods, but as my studio is growing, so are the difficulties of keeping it al synced.
valis

Post by valis »

Note I have a syncplate as well, and DO have bnc cable runs. I have tested against ADAT & AES, and found no difference in the last 5 years with all the gear in the same room. Previously I had my computers in a different room, but that was 15+ years ago. Now, in this room there are 4 machines with pro sound cards, plus a laptop, plus tablet, plus 5 outboard synths, a 40 channel mixer, a rack of gear and a few other odds & ends. I wouldn't stop you from finding a sync plate, but also reassuring you that you can get work done without one.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Joey wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:55 am Yes, I can use different clocking methods, but as my studio is growing, so are the difficulties of keeping it al synced.

just clocking one device(the Scope cards) with ADAT or AES/SpDif won't make any difficulties. use BNC for the rest of the studio including the device that is providing clock via ADAT. when you finally get a syncplate, then use it.
Joey

Post by Joey »

That's my plan! thanks so far, everyone
Joey

Post by Joey »

ahh, missed that :(