Now here's a nice topic to think about..

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Great discussion! I thought the balance concept was pretty straight forward.. I think everyone does it one way or the other. Just that some are more experienced than others. Well, there are people who go completely berserks and I think that's what Nestor is talking about. We've all heart bad combinations...

And, though I'm not a graduate in composition, through my long history of composing, I've also come to think that it's simply best to keep composing. There are certain aspects of composing/mixing/tweaking synth patches (or whatever it is that you do) that requiare reading and learning with your mind. But there are skills that are built through the experience itself.. sort of like sports. You learn the rules with your mind, and you play the game with your body. The more you play, the better you get... but if you slack off, your skill degrades. (though you don't forget the rules) Just like any sports, there are all sorts of players.. some good at fast thinking, some agile, some full of power, some with high endurance. It all keeps the game very interesting.

I'd also like to add that the target of the composition.. or exactly what you're trying to do with the song is one of the most important factors in composing.. becuase it is probably what the composition is going to be judged by. Or should I say that it cannot be judged by anything else. Simply, you don't run a club mix through tiny speakers and judge the composition.. Or you wouldn't take an experimental composition and say that it won't sell. This goes along with the balance concept... it's the DIRECTION of the composition that you base your balance on. With out it, there IS no balance to keep.

A heavy, bassy, muddy mix might generally be considered mucky (unbalanced) but who knows? Hip-hop lovers are definitely more bass tolerant than uh-dunoo, let's say blues lovers? (no offense) So it's all about what you're trying to do. Maybe you'd want to do a hip-hop flavored blues song.. then you might end up with a bassy blues with extra punchy drums. And you still wouldn't have house lovers judge the song. It's all about WHAT you're trying to do. Choose your game before you play the game.
(ok, I admit I used corny examples.. you get the point)

It was funny though.. back when I just started composing... or frankly, up 'till recently, alot of the times I felt like I was wrestling the phrases, chord progressions, bass riffs, etc. to do what I wanted it to do. Actually, I even had to learn how to wrestle with it.. Before I know how to wrestle, it was totally out of control.. I let it do what it wanted to do. But recently, I'm able to do a composition without wrestling at all.. It's more like a team work between me and the sound. No body fights, no one clashes.. and I've also learned many ways to make bad combinations "work". (Well, sometimes you just gotta whip 'em a little) And as with any sort of leadership, the key to success is to project a sense of direction towards your team. (sound) And they'll listen to what you say. Even guys with the worst 'attitudes'. But sometimes it's just fun and relaxing to let them do as they please.. That's when you find shocking phrases. (hehe)

So whether it be balance or color or contrast or whatever the word, you come accross a concept/method of your own that works for you. (and maybe just 2 other guys) It all comes from experience. Heck, I've been doing this stuff for 11 years and I still feel like a fresh beginner! Well, I've learned a bit along the way but consider how much there is to learn! I'm not even close to being started! sheesh!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Wow! I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was making a new TOPIC!! It's supposed to be a reply to Nestor's "balance" topic.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

no, it is OK, this is sort of a new topic! I agree, that the quality of a piece has a lot to do with how well it embodies what the author intended - this does not mean that others will like it!