Vocoder

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Matt

Post by Matt »

I have been messing about with the vocoder, but just can't seem to get a clean sound out of it. Anyone got any tips regarding what combination of signals/vocoder settings could produce a nice clean sound where words could be distinguished. Or in fact any tips at all for this device!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Erik the admin of the Pulsar-SCOPE list posted a learning the <a href=http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &0>Vocoder Example Project</a> which seems like a good place to start.

Usually you want to have the carrier signal be something smooth like a pad or something...

edit: link updated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-07-31 11:41 ]</font>
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Also, make sure the carrier contains enough harmonics. Saw or triangle-wave based pads work very well. To make comparisions with reallife instruments: violins and clarinets do great jobs.
Cheers,
Rob
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

anybody have info on ZAPP's (an old band) vocoder's? I think they've got one of the cleanest sounding vocoders. I really wonder how they do it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-09-30 15:37 ]</font>
celmo

Post by celmo »

anybody have info on ZAPP's (an old band) vocoder's? I think they've got one of the
cleanest sounding vocoders. I really wonder how they do it.

In fact you have to look for"Roger Troutman" the brother of Zap Troutman.(died 10 years ago, alas). he played with many singers, groups, etc.
celmo

Post by celmo »

garyb

Post by garyb »

yep, that's what it is.(talk box, that analog of the vocorder :wink: )