Loops & Gates

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cream

Loops & Gates

Post by cream »

Hi

I have the following question about drumloops and gates.

I want to put a reverb on ONLY the snare in a drumloop.
I want to gate the snare so that it opens only when certain (snare) frequencies are active. Then I can put a wet reverb on that snare track and mix it together with the loop.(I know it's easier to slice the loop and send it to different tracks but I want to do it another way...)

We have gates in sfp but how do I achieve the frequency part?

Thanks
wayne

Post by wayne »

Sidechain! - sorry, out the door myself, but someone will explain further.
cream

Post by cream »

Yes as sidechain.....but how...
garyb

Post by garyb »

use an eq(bandpass filter) in the sidechain to trigger the gate with the chosen freq...
cream

Post by cream »

Once again Gary helped me out.
Another type of eq did the trick!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

for situations where you're looking for up to 8 channels of frequency dependent gating try a combination of FILTR8 & G8. They're free to download in the devices forum. 8 channels of Bandpass EQs & 8 creamware gates. Use FILTR8 before the SC (sidechain) inputs of G8. On FILTR8 there's a split mode which allows you to select a single input receiving a mono, left or right mix signal (for example) & split it to 8 frequencies to drive the sidechaining of G8 or some compressors.

anyway, happy sidechaining. :)
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Could someone post a project(or picture) of this setup.Sounds interesting.
cream

Post by cream »

looks great shroomz....downloading now..
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

another thing you can do if it a loop

make a delay a bit shorter then the loop and use it as the trigger. then the "next time around" the trigger will be a bit early so
the gate will be fully open in time for the full attack of the snare.

or if it is a recorded track, make a copy and move it a bit ahead of the real track, and just use it for the trigger.
mr. prawn

Post by mr. prawn »

Music Manic wrote:Could someone post a project(or picture) of this setup.Sounds interesting.
ditto. ive never done this kind of thing...
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

the eqs are not that precise that they could issolate the snare from the rest of the loop excatly.

so I think that doesn`t work precisly
voidar

Post by voidar »

There's a "frequency gate" thing in the MOVEQ bundle. Check under devices.

What you are trying to do can be hard in Scope only. Your best bet is make your trigger with ReaFir in REAPER.
valis

Post by valis »

hifiboom wrote:the eqs are not that precise that they could issolate the snare from the rest of the loop excatly.

so I think that doesn`t work precisly
It really depends on the engineering present in the loop being used. If it's a "live drum" style loop then I agree, if it's highly electronic with lots of frequency separation he might be able to find a frequency range on the snare that can give a usable threshold for the triggering.

However for clean predictable gating you might consider other options. For a scope hosted gate another option is to use midi notes triggering some very cpu light plugin in your host (like klopfgeist in Logic or a simple single osc synth with no effects etc in another host), or the simplest synthesizer you can find in scope. Then just connect this to the sidechain input for your gate only, and it will simply be a 'midi trigger' for your gate.

Alternatively, if you have the Scope Modular, instead of using a gate just build a simple midi triggered envelope and route a copy of your drum loop's audio through the modular, output to your reverb. Again an easy method for doing a 'midi triggered' gated reverb effect.

And of course you already mentioned chopping the snare out of your loop in your sequencer, but in addition to this you could simply draw in send automation (or use a control surface to dial in the automation with a fast knob movement at the right times),

Using automation, editing or midi notes can be a bit more tedious than the 'automatic' frequency based gate but the results can also provide more interesting variation, as you have total control over when you choose to trigger the gate/envelope or automate the send.