Jungle/DnB Bassline Synth?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nuence

Post by nuence »

Hi there I produce Drum n Bass and I am looking for any ideas on a good pulsar/scope synth for creating basslines. I need something with a LFO and really good low frequency responce. Preferable a synth with a unison type feature to really thicken up the sound. So if there is anyone out there that produces DnB, or anyone that has an idea for a DnB bassline synth for me that would be great.

thanks,

nuence
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Try wavelength's <a href=http://www.track0.com/wavelength//free% ... reebees</a>, the subme! synth run it through Ingo's AMP simulator (either the one for base or guitar, try both, they are shareware and floating about), also check out <a href=http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Devices.html>the bassman3</a>, never tried it, but it looks interesting. Finally there's always good old standby <a href=http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Devices.html>Saturn</a>, which through some distortion might get what you need. I guess you'll have to play around with the various amp simulators/distortion devices for Pulsar to 'grunge up' the sound, decide which one you like. Don't forget the <a href=http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Devices.html>fILtheR</a>, either.

Perhaps Peezahj has some more suggestions, or terrac (if he ever comes here, not sure he does...) they both tend to use Pulsar to write in that style...
nuence

Post by nuence »

Thanks man I appreciate it. Is the Bassman 3 also a freebee?

If Peezahj and terrac or any other jungle producers could contact me that would be great. It is always good to know some jungle producers useing some of the same equipment.

Take care,

nuence
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

no, that synth [celmo bass synth] is not free -

i also do d'nb/jungle/etc - the inferno is good sometimes when you need something simple, but not as simple as the subdub (wavelength) - has a filter envelope for instance. you mean for basses only, er what? also, check out the orbitone 303's - there is a new one with a sub osc and speaker killer - it is on the device pages here. there is an older, more traditional one by them with an integrated delay - i think it is at steikenleiter: http://www.steckenleiter.de/ there are 10 PAGES (!) of devices there! wavelength/hummel (never understood the distinction) makes some nasty sounding synths - [this is a good thing!] - at least get the subdub, lo-fi, dirt, and thereMID, as they are all free. also, he has a really nice 303 emulation (arguablythe most accurate for pulsar) it is only $30 or so. http://www.track0.com/wavelength

i use the modular for crazy @ss distorted drum machines: check here for my lofibbox:
http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Patches.html#Modular - if you do not own modular2, then get this - it is a MUST have :smile:
the modular is also great for making drones and pads -

one i bought is even better - the ROtor 48 by Zarg http://www.zagmusic.com - this thing is ill! crazy complex evolving pads! and throw drum loops / sounds in there and you can spew out some crrazzzy rhyhtmic stuff! [but i am into crazy dnb].

good luck!
- let me know if you find anything cool which i have missed!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-06-24 07:14 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi there! No, the Bassman 3 is not a freebe. I've tried it and is not less than awesome, absolutely wonderful. To my personal test it's one of the best synths for the Pulsar platform. Go to Celmar Website and download the demo, you can play for 15 minutes and then you reload it. I really worth the price, it has superb basses and extremely pleasant pads. When I can, I will certainly get one for me.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Keep in mind that the jungle you're hearing produced is nearly all about samples. Probably the best BC-bass I've ever gotten was a straight hoover sample pitched down & put through a Nord Micro Modular's LP filter & distortion, & recently I got a killer Reece-bass by putting a stand-up bass sample through the Creamware pitch shifter (fine @ +15, the detune gave it the wobble).

btw, one of the characteristic sounds of a good Reece bass (which is named after Kevin Saunderson's middle name) is how the wobble changes speed on different pitches (being that it's a sample), you can create a great appoximation of this my modulating the lfo speed w/ key follow. Big booty bass.
nuence

Post by nuence »

Hey guys,thanks for all the responces.

First of all in reply to Algorythm
"i also do d'nb/jungle/etc - the inferno is good sometimes when you need something simple, but not as simple as the subdub (wavelength) - has a filter envelope for instance. you mean for basses only, er what?"
Ya man i have no problem with my gear in creating easy more ambient style basses the likes of which u would hear from LTJ Bukems good lookin records label. I love that sound but what I am looking for in a synth is dirty, mean nasty basses similer to that from Tech itch, Bad Company, and total science. You were also mentioning the orbitones 303's are they simply a TB 303 clone, and if so wouldn't they be more suited to techno/trance basses then DnB basslines?

In reply to Peezahj I really do prefer to create my own bass's, I have sampled bass's and used them in tunes before, But i find I have far more control over the sound I am looking for if I actually program on a synth. I have been looking into allot of hardware synths lately and noticed u have the micro modular, When i heard it at the store it seemed a little weak in the lower frequencies, but then again I only had about a 1/2 hours playing time. How do u find it for basses? Any other recommendations would be great!!

Once again thanks for all the help guys.

nuence
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Nuence said: You were also mentioning the orbitones 303's are they simply a TB 303 clone, and if so wouldn't they be more suited to techno/trance basses then DnB basslines?

the first 303 by orbitone is best for trance/techno - as it has an integrated delay and is 'light' on features . . .

but i think their newer one can make phat basses more up our ally. why, ask you? it has an integrated sub-osc with level control (ie. mix together the sub sine and saw/square). it also has a "speaker killer" - pretty kewl - and distortion. so, yes it can make some pretty mean basses, but the meanest basses i have made come from the infamous Saturn - a real gem.

. . .and Tom Jenkinson seems to do quite well with a hardware 303 in his drum (drill) and bass. so even the wavelength 303 would work - i tried the demo - it is supposedly the best emulation on pulsar platform. the filter is good and it is only 30 bills. why not check out the demo?

and if you need dirty basslines, you definitely need "dirt" by s hummel @ wavelength. per my request, he updated the dirt so it can be used as a modular insert (the older v1 did not work for this purpose).
check out hummels listserve here for info on getting it http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musictechno

good luck again!

l8erz :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-06-25 19:48 ]</font>
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Optical's main synth is a Z1, which has a clear, precise sound but is very much lacking in the low-end, & I've pulled off some dead-on BC sounds with both the Pulsar modular 2 & an mpc/micro modular combo. The point isn't what great synths the Korg or Nord are but, rather, to express that you can get close enough using just about anything as long as you've got a ripping filter. That said, the modular 2 has the rippingest filter of all the Pulsar synths, not even the Saturn can compete IMO.

If you've got the modular 2, download http://www.jrrshop.com/Eric/E_Sync_2.mdl for a taste, I've got 3 BC presets on it. The patch isn't actually ready for release -me 'n Ben Walker will put out the real one once 3.0 comes out- but at least you'll see what's possible. I'll delete it in a couple of days, get it while you can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peezahj on 2001-06-26 23:27 ]</font>
Sam Glass

Post by Sam Glass »

I just made this bass noise (210KB mp3)... Dunno if it's what you're after but it is quite fat n freaky.

It's the Comb Plus (slightly tweaked "Kik on C#2" - I hope that's not one of mine... if so let me know and I'll upload the patch)... ahem, as I was saying: the Comb Plus followed by the "2-band distortion" modular patch (both bands distortion shoved pretty far up, with the filter set to a low frequency with loads of resonance).

I've used the Comb a bit on d'n'b and I reckon it's great fun - well unpredictable, especially if you set the number of voices to 2 (?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam Glass on 2001-07-11 14:04 ]</font>
nuence

Post by nuence »

Hey man nice bass, not exactly what I am looking for but I have to give u big ups!! Funky Fresh Bass..

By the way if anyone is interested I have checked out the orbitone syn-chrome which I wasn't expecting to be that great for DnB bass. And it turns out to be amazing IMHO, Iwould upload a few samples but I don't have a ftp or web site.. (I really got get on that too.)
It is one to definetly checkout for anyone looking for nasty sub bass.

I am wondering if any pulsarian junglist or any break-beat hedz here are on ICQ if so my # is 67707849. This way we can discuss production techniques live while working on a piece. Anyways till then..

nuence