Surround Sound ? Has anyone some knowHow ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

basis

Post by basis »

Hi all,

I'm new here on this Forum. I saw some Tools on Creamware-Site to create Surround Sound with Pulsar. (Mixer, Fx)

IMO, this is used normally by Movie-Audio-Creators to put Audio to their Movies (e.g. Soundttracks and Special Audio Effects)

I just want to make Music in Surround-Format. Just Audio, no Movies.

In near Future, there will be a new Audio-CD Format, called SuperDisk or SuperAudioCD. This Format will support Stereo and Surround. (5 or 6 Channels).

Has anyone expirience to burn SACD ?

How and with which Hardware and Software can i create/burn SACD ?
How can I record Surround-Format 5.1 from the Pulsar-Surround-Mixer to my Harddisk ?

How is the production process designed ? (From creating Sound over Mixing and Mastering to creating and copying SACD's)

IMHO, this is a very interesting theme, as in the near future there will be a completely new technology in all our homes. :wink:

(Synthesizer-Melodies flying around our head and HiHat's came from everywhere :smile:

Thanks !

basis
Mo

Post by Mo »

i´d guess that the pulsar is the only hardware, which you can hold - your old cd-writer is obsolete then, you monitor boxes, even your computer has to be upgraded again... as long as surround is not the most popular consumer format, i will still work in stereo...

btw, this thread contains no 'tipps & tricks', so it should be placed in 'general pulsar discussion' or else.

mfg :wink:
Mo
basis

Post by basis »

If someone has a "Trick" how to put SurroundSound from Pulsar to a SuperAudio-CD (SACD), it could stay here :smile:

This thread should be treated in such a way, like if SACD would be the most popular Consumer format. My Goal is to create such a CD, as there are already some Consumer-SACD-Players and Amplifiers around (eg. Sony). And Surround Sound Speakers are already installed in better home-cinemas. And we could use them to hear Surround-Music from SACD-Player.

(some parts translated by babelfish, sorry :smile: )

Thanx !
basis
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I'm looking into Sek'd's DVD encoder/surround program. I think you can get it at http://www.ucik.com.

Between Samplitude 2496, this encoder, and the Pulsar Surround Mixer, I think you're set to at least be able to ENCODE for surround. I am still awaiting some standards on CD formats for surround audio before I consider burning CD's in the newer format. In the meantime I am getting ready to re-mix some of my tunes for surround and then doing test encoding.

It's gonna be fun!
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

In the last AES convention many people related with Super Audio CD were sceptic about the possible future of this new standard.

It involves not only to change for COMPLETE all the standard DVD installed base (home and professional), due this machines CAN't playback this type of CDs, otherwise there are really very few people that can access to a COSTLY 5:1 system , with enough good quality for could apreciate the difference with standard CDs.

If people in general feels satisfied with the poor quality of MP3 at a compression ratio of 128 ( a very low quality in comparisson with a standard CD), probably the real market of the new Super Audio CD will be very little.

Also in video DVDs, when they use 5:1 sourround sound , the audio tracks are COMPRESSED in arround an MP3's 256 ratio ( that continue beeing far from a standard CD quality).

In the other hand the standard speakers (with the exeption of the new expensive studio monitors) are not prepared to support the 24 bit dynamic range and will need some type of dynamic compression , losing in this way many the benefits of 24/96 audio.

Is real that the brickwall filters that cut all fecuency components above 20khz are more eficient in DACs that support 96 khz and produce less THD and aliasing, without any dicussion.

But for to get really the benefits of a system of this type, will be necessary to have at least 5 speakers with the quality of the new Genelec, Mackie, Haffler, or Roland self powerd near field monitors and also a good suboofer.

Also it will be necessary to have a six BALANCED output amplifier, due in this type of systems the cables are more and longer than in a standard stereo system.

The same system that a small studio will need to have for get an accurate monitoring, (without forgetting that the acoustic treatment of the control room will be much more expensive than for stereo)

Forget to create a system using three power amplifiers and 6 passive speakers, it will be not only more expensive, otherwise it will sound worst.

The general impression of everybody with I spoke was that this project was died before to be borned.

Of course that are exceptions, special projects will require this type of systems , mainly related with complex and costly theater regies or Hollywood productions, but I think that probably they will be done by the monster studios that are in LA or Nashville.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PabloFasan on 2001-06-24 13:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PabloFasan on 2001-06-24 13:53 ]</font>
basis

Post by basis »

Thanks for your Infos !

I found something interesting:

https://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/Recordi ... rround.htm

Yepa !
basis
maket

Post by maket »

Sonic Foundry have made soft encoder-dolby digital 5.1 :smile: