need some information

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fishi

Post by fishi »

hi all,
im using a 2 years old pulsar (4 sharks only) on a 100Mhz MSI motherboard and a pentium 500 cpu.
i want to upgrade my computer to a faster one, the fastest i can:

1. can a two years old pulsar card work properly with a 133 Mhz motherboard ?
2. whats the fastes Cpu unit i can use with my motherboard?

tnx for you answers :smile:
Yaron
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

1. The PCI bus uses a 1/4 divisor @ 133mhz FSB, thereby keeping the PCI cards at 33mhz. When you run at 100mhz, PCI cards use a 1/3 divisor, giving again 33mhz. So that should be no problem as long as your motherboard has the 1/4 divisor (all BX/815 boards do I think).

2. On a BX chipset, running @ 133mhz FSB results in an overclocked AGP (89mhz vs. 66mhz) which most NVIDIA cards can handle, it also overclocks the chipset. I wouldn't suggest a setup unless you're a hardcore overclocking computergeek and you have an official overclocking license :wink: Stick with a 100mhz FSB processor, and get the fastest one you can find. You might have to use a "Slotket" to convert a FCPGA to Slot1. The 933mhz part might be the easiest one to source, but be sure you don't get an "EB" part (those run at 133mhz FSB).

Other good motherboards for Pulsar include the Intel i815EEAL, and the ASUS CUSL2/C. (Both of which can take an "EB" part. Crucial.com has great PC133, CAS2 ram sticks, too :wink: )

You can add a LunaII or any 2nd generation card, and connect it via (internal) STDM cable, and get all the benefits of the new cards including ULLI and better PCI usage. So your "old" Pulsar is still very relevant and should be for quite some time more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-06-04 10:07 ]</font>