vst

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

ok answer me this, i use a program called fruity loops 3 (yes the name is wierd) but it supporrts vst and vst 2.0 intruments.

when i get my pulsar XTC and srb card can i use the pulsar plugins and synths as vst effects and instruments?

also i heard if u use pulsar and logic you can't directly bounce to disk because "mixing is done in pulsar not logic audio"
what the fuck does that mean?

lastly what processor do you recommend AThlon or P4 , sorry if this has been asked before.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

1. xtc ought to work with any VST compatible host -logic, cubase, fruity loops. not really sure why you would want to use fruity loops, though. it is a good drum machine.

you can mix in logic or in the Pulsar. no idea what the hell you are talking about. either way, you can bounce to disk, it is just done differently.

P4 is not recommended it is more of a decision between P3 and Athlon. P4 is less stable and is not as good at Floating Point calculations. P3 tends to have a better motherboard than AMD and hence PCI bandwidth (needed for DSPs). However, this is only an issue when using lots of reverbs and other bandwidth intensive processes. The new VIA 266 boards are suppossedly pretty good, according to some preliminary reports. This is a good choice for the AMD chips. The CUSL2-C and a P3 1 GHZ is the "standard" tried and true combo. I'm going Athlon this summer though. . .
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I'd stay away from via, and go with the AMD760 chipset. I'll be testing the Asus A7M266 shortly with Creamware stuff (and hopefully an Oasys), and from early reports on the Pulsar-Scope list, this is a pretty solid board for lots of audio work...
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

i'll be using fruity as a drum machine and maybe to make some cool effects adn then render to wav and import them in to logic.

I'm just starting at using logic and would like to know if silver is enough for amatuer music making, thaks for your advice.

I will have the money to get dual athlons in about 2 months would this be wise for pulsar and logic or should i stick with one really fast ass Athlon?

thanks for replying guys
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

i'll be using fruity as a drum machine and maybe to make some cool effects adn then render to wav and import them in to logic.

I'm just starting at using logic and would like to know if silver is enough for amatuer music making, thaks for your advice.

I will have the money to get dual athlons in about 2 months would this be wise for pulsar and logic or should i stick with one really fast ass Athlon?

thanks for replying guys
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

thanks for replying guys
Mo

Post by Mo »

although pulsar will get w2k-compliant this summer (at least it´s what CW are saying) i don´t think pulsar will take advantage of multiprocessing (the sts-sampler maybe).
logic will, but only with version 5.0 coming september, current version 4.7 does not run under w2k as far as i know.

Mo
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I wouldn't buy a dual-cpu computer if you're running Mac or Windows right now. That is, unless you have cash to burn... the performance isn't quite worth the cash at this point. Better to add a Luna2 or upgrade your AD/DA converters instead :wink:
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

fiine thanks guys

I've decide tthat once i get my dough i'll buy the fastest Athlon out there (probably 1.4 or 1.5 ghz) and about 256mb (ddr) of ram and logic silver.

(this is an expensive hobby)

ps. will scope cards (not that i can afford one) run in XTC mode.
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

fiine thanks guys

I've decide tthat once i get my dough i'll buy the fastest Athlon out there (probably 1.4 or 1.5 ghz) and about 256mb (ddr) of ram and logic silver.

(this is an expensive hobby)

ps. will scope cards (not that i can afford one) run in XTC mode.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Hey don't press refresh or you'll double post :smile:

I'd suggest 512megs as a more comfortable amount to start with. Less upgrading to think about in the short term... also, be sure you get at LEAST PC2100 DDR memory, and at LEAST CAS2.5. I see that <a href=http://www.mushkin.com>Mushkin</a> is selling thier CAS 2 ram. That's one of the few places to have the good stuff. Just be sure you DONT get PC1600...
Mo

Post by Mo »

yes, agreed.

the speed of the used ram might be very important especially for using dsp-cards like pulsar.

<hr>

also scope should come with the xtc-interface, yes.
xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

thanks again