Samplerate and Wave Source

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Samplerate and Wave Source

Post by fidox »

Hey !

New windows 10 installation, after a very long time :)

Setup : Scope samplerate 48kHz and running Cubase.
Cubase is using ASIO.
When I export wav data, for example : sequence from vst instrument and then i open that wav with Soundforge, I can't play that wav, cause program writes me that "device is not available".
I mean I can play that wav in Soundforge using 48kHz, but I must close Cubase and select ASIO for Soundforge.
While i'm working with my project it's time consuming for every single wav , closing Cubase and run Soundforge.
Then, changing samplerate to 44kHz , I can play that wav normally. (Cubase - ASIO + Soundforge - Wave)

Do you think for Cubase + Vst instruments is 44kHz enough or 48kHz gives me better sound control ?

The problem is, that I didn't re-install windows for a long time and I think that everything was working also with 48kHz and running everything together (Cubase, Soundforge... ) I really can't tell 100%, but i'm using 48kHz setup for a long time.
:-?

I hope it's understandable.
fidox

Re: Samplerate and Wave Source

Post by fidox »

I have just checked, my one of the last project was 48kHz / 24bit, so it must have worked, cause i have many wav files for that project, exported 48kHz/24bit and I'm sure I didn't close Cubase for every single wav file and then edited in Soundforge.
I have loaded that project back, Scope - 48kHz samplerate, Cubase 48kHz/24bit, Soundforge won't play wav's.
Going back in Scope to 44kHz, Soundforge plays those files.
astroman

Post by astroman »

You may have to set the Win WDM drivers (in multimedia setup) to 48khz, too, assuming the wave editor is not on Asio).
And possibly Soundforge to that rate as default, if most of yor files are 48khz.
The difference between the 2 rates is subtle. Usually the choice is convenience based... like what‘s the majority of existing files or if you have to do video sound (48khz standard) or if some gear doesn‘t work properly with one of the rates.
fidox

Post by fidox »

astroman wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:53 am You may have to set the Win WDM drivers (in multimedia setup) to 48khz, too, assuming the wave editor is not on Asio).
Thanks Astroman !
Yes, wave editor is not ASIO, Cubase is using it.
I don't remember to change or that i need to check multimedia setup.

Leaving setup at 44kHz works fine. I can run Cubase and edit wavs in Soundforge together.
Soon, when i change to 48kHz, Cubase is running, but wavs in Soundforge stops to play and Soundforge is reporting missing device.
Since i have checked my last project, i have all wavs in 48kHz, so i'm sure i have edit them together while running Cubase + Soundforge and they played at 48kHz samplerate.
valis

Post by valis »

What version of Soundforge?
What version of Cuibase?
I presume you're on Scope 7 as well?
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:19 pm What version of Soundforge?
What version of Cuibase?
I presume you're on Scope 7 as well?
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 and 12.
Cubase Artist 11 and Cubase Elements 9.5.
Scope 7 and second computer Scope 5.
Windows 10 H121 on both machines.

The same situation on both computers.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Ok, finally, it's working.

Like already Astroman suggested to change in multimedia to 48kHz, didn't worked yesterday, i have played again with settings today.

-full security access to C: (Users)
-run as administrators (Scope, Cubase, Soundforge)
and changing multimedia-advance settings.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
valis

Post by valis »

That would be my next response, to walk through the settings one by one. I am curious if you're having to run Cubase with compatibility mode on the Scope 5 PC, and tbh I'm not sure how that affects Soundforge (I am on v14 & v15 Pro versions).

Glad it's all working.
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:10 am That would be my next response, to walk through the settings one by one. I am curious if you're having to run Cubase with compatibility mode on the Scope 5 PC, and tbh I'm not sure how that affects Soundforge (I am on v14 & v15 Pro versions).

Glad it's all working.

Thanks !
On Scope 5 PC also working, without running in compatibility mode.
Same settings now like on my main audio production PC machine.
valis

Post by valis »

Glad to hear it! My Steinberg licenses are stuck in time (I'd love to upgrade Wavelab though) so wasn't sure how to field that part of the discussion.