SCOPE PCI - how to ... ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

SCOPE PCI - how to ... ?

Post by Bud Weiser »

Up to now and in addition to the SCOPE/XITE system, I only used 1 15DSP PCI card in my 2nd machine.
This card hosts all the keys for SCOPE PCI v4.5 as well as optional devices.

I also bought SCOPE v5.1 and v7.0 for PCI,- never installed up to now but own a few optional v5 keys for some more stuff to,- DNA p.ex..

Now, when combining w/ 2 add. Pulsar II PCI cards,- how to make the 15DSP card the "master card" so I can use all the registered devices across all cards/DSPs ?

Is there any setting in SCOPE PCI application,- or is that a S|C support task ?

Should I install SCOPE PCI v5.1 first,- make a new keyfile incl. all the optional v5 devices,- then request v5 keys for optional v4.5 devices I own,- request free Orbitone keys and then finally install SCOPE PCI v7.0 (over the SCOPE PCI v5.1 installation) ?

:)

Bud
valis

Re: SCOPE PCI - how to ... ?

Post by valis »

The keying system will see all cards present, the 'master' card concept was for PCI traffic purposes (and Gary has stated that's not really even relevant under Scope 7 now). If a card is present with a key, a device will work.

If you need to move some keys between Scope versions that you already own, you will know when you load the device in question. And I'm sure having paid for the licenses, support will handle key changes as appropriate in that case. I don't know if there are any specific restrictions on certain 3rd party keys.

------------------------------------

In regards to installation order, I don't recall 5.x needing different keys for anything other than Scope. I will let Gary respond more definitively on this, and he's usually short enough and the point.

But for the sake of lt;dnr info that Scope completists might be interested in, I don't recall having to redo my keys via support moving between the various 4.x and 5.x versions. Again, Gary or etc correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I also seem to recall that specific device strings in Scope.rgy also stayed the same even when some pack added that device or Scope itself incorporated same device. I always took that to mean no new keys were being generated for anything unless you didn't already own it, which would support the idea that keying didn't dramatically change across the versions. What did sometimes give me issues across major versions was trying to re-use Scope.rgy itself, but that's because some of the pack strings and scope's string would change and rebuilding it in that case was easier. Ie, as long as I had the original key strings for each corresponding PCI card, I could just re-input them after a base install and Scope.rgy gets built for that. And then once installed and stable I would backup the scope.rgy for that version (which makes a reinstall very speedy).

Scope7 can co-exist with 5.x if you like, you have to change the driver manually to switch between them. Installing Scope 7 will remove the 5.x driver, and doing things that way will allow you to access an existing installation. But it seems you're operating off of only a Scope 7 installation, so....

----------------------------------------

I'm willing to bet all you need to do to get old keys ported up to v7 is send them to support. I'll defer to gary on that point.
garyb

Post by garyb »

just install v7.
your v5.1 keys for optional devices will still work.
v4.5 keys will need to be updated. they should have been updated when you got v5.1.
i would NOT have v5.1 and v7 installs on the computer. you will certainly have problems when files get loaded from the wrong version.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:11 pm The keying system will see all cards present, the 'master' card concept was for PCI traffic purposes (and Gary has stated that's not really even relevant under Scope 7 now). If a card is present with a key, a device will work.
----------------------------------------

I'm willing to bet all you need to do to get old keys ported up to v7 is send them to support. I'll defer to gary on that point.
thx for ya´ input, Valis !

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am just install v7.
your v5.1 keys for optional devices will still work.
v4.5 keys will need to be updated. they should have been updated when you got v5.1.
They were for the most.
When I look into my v4.x keyfile, I see SPL Transient Designer 3.5 and ZARG small synths Comb Plus Pro, Dark Star, Orion Custom and Ambient.
These 5 devices didn´t make it from v4.x to v5 PCI because I never installed v5.1 for PCI,- just only for XITE-1.
SCOPE v7.0 too.
The other v5 keys I got for XITE-1 and PCI, were never used for PCI up to now and exist only in emails from S|C when I bought these special NSA and 4in1 bundles years ago.
I only used XITE-1 mainly and already w/ v7.0 up to now,- and only occasionaly SCOPE 4.5 PCI because the single PCI card was in the ancient Intel Pentium IV / ASUS mobo WinXP machine.

Now it´s all about using multiple PCI card system in the HP 4600 server,- since I got 5 Pulsar-2 in addition to the Scope Pro (or Power Pulsar ?) I own.
garyb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am i would NOT have v5.1 and v7 installs on the computer. you will certainly have problems when files get loaded from the wrong version.
That wasn´t the intention anyway.
I thought it makes sense installing v5.1 PCI 1st in the "new" machine, just only to create a keyfile including everything installed I already have keys for.
I´d also never used the DNA keys, which I got for SCOPE PCI and XITE when I bought SCOPE v7 for both the hardware versions, up to now.

So yes, I want SCOPE v7.0 32Bit on HP server w/ SCOPE Pro and 2 SCOPE Project PCI cards,- and use XITE-1 w/ SCOPE v7 64Bit too on a different machine.

I might need a key transfer for ZARG´s big synths, Adern Flexor III and Modular IV which I use on XITE but would prefer (for the time being and ´til v7.1 is released) using ´em on PCI too because they run better in 32Bit systems (even on XITE-1 !).
Is that doable w/ the usual key transfer deal ?

Bud
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am
i would NOT have v5.1 and v7 installs on the computer. you will certainly have problems when files get loaded from the wrong version.
Just put them in different folder locations
garyb

Post by garyb »

Music Manic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:41 am
garyb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am
Just put them in different folder locations
that would be great if you never used projects from the other version. it would also be great if Windows was 100% reliable and never did strange things. remember there are registry entries which have pointers in them. it's best to only have one Scope folder, but do what you like.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, Bud, the usual transfer deal...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm yes, Bud, the usual transfer deal...
8)

perfect !

thx

Bud