Scope 64bit & 32bit essentially the same thing?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Scope 64bit & 32bit essentially the same thing?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Currently I still use winxp.. scope set up how I want..

I’ve got a hotswap caddy for the os hard drive.

I have a 64bit capable computer and windows 764but sitting on a hard drive (I’ll update it to windows 10)

Anyhow’s when I start to build the 64bit os and install scope for that.. can I still just copy over the devices, presets and dsp files over from the winxp install that I’ve organised and installed over the years and just plonk it in to the new windows 10 64bit install of scope?
spacef

Re: Scope 64bit & 32bit essentially the same thing?

Post by spacef »

i would say yes.
You still need to install scope x 64, but many devices (at leats since scope 4.5) , many dsp files and presets are common to all scope platforms without regard to the OS or bit format. For dsp I would try to limit myself to the devices purchased (it is certain that they are backward compatible).
Software IOs like asio / wave etc should not be compatible obviously.

I may miss some details but the global answer to your question is "yes" :-)
I would prefer that more people confirm this :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Should work fine, just make sure you don't copy over a newer file.
Some saved projects you will probably have to rebuild from scratch. (take snapshots of the essential ones before the migration)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

K thanks a lot for the quick replies. Good to know. I could back up the 64bit install.

Replace the device and dsp and preset folders and then copy back the dsp folder from the 64bit install.

Sounds good.

I’ll have it set up so it’s working in unison and can switch over the os hard drives. So I won’t lose my current set up. And slowly but surely set up the 64bit os going forward.

As ofcourse I’ll lose stuff upgrading as well as gaining stuff.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there are 64bit files for many devices, beware.

also, the 32 and 64bit versions of Scope are not exactly the same. be careful of overwriting sys and pep files.

most of the device and dsp files are the same, but not all.
valis

Post by valis »

Zip/Compress your original Scope folder on your old machine. Archive both the full folder structure & that zip backup somewhere.

Install 64bit Scope. Compress this as well and stick it next to your previous archives, so you can always revert back to the original state.

It's probably also a good idea to pay attention to what your 32bit installation calls devices, and where they are installed, versus what you have on the 64bit system. So it's a good time to install any plugins & effects you have on hand to that 64bit installation (meaning SonicCore installers and the like, and perhaps flexor etc), so that you can compare directory structures between 32bit & 64bit and eliminate multiple versions of devices (by them being in different folders when you proceed with the below instructions).

Once you are sure you matched the stock & licensed device locations and modular folders as necessary, you can proceed.

Copy the 64bit installation OVER the top of your 32bit folder that you archived (this will ensure all Scope files that are 64bit are most current). Of course make sure you're moving the correct folder(s) to the correct place(s) so that you're overwriting existing files. Again, this is over the top of your archived version, not any of the actual installed locations.

(Something small to be aware of, it's probably best to do this all on the 64bit machine so that folder permissions & properties are retained as necessary. So use a backup drive attached to this machine for all but the first 32bit step).

Now you should have this 'combo' folder on a secondary drive, alongside two zip archives (32 & 64bit installs). Copy this BACK over your actual installed location on the 64bit machine, and proceed with testing things.

Note the caveats given on these forums about certain delay modules and STS Samplers and so on, on a 64bit installation.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cool. Thanks. Seems a safe way to do things.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

The main caveat was no wav/sample playback.
Does this mean VDAT is lost?

Hope all these things get fixed in an update eventually..

This is also partly why I don’t want to let go of the 32bit system...

Going 64bit will gain things but I will lose a lot at the moment.. it won’t just be some scope stuff that doesn’t work in 64bit but quite a bit of software I don’t think is going to work.

It’s going to be a slow build.. it’s almost unnecessary as amazing high quality music can be made with what I’ve got.

But I’m itching to use cubase 11.. and I enjoy tinkering with stuff. And now that my whole 32bit set up is set up to perfection.. there is nothing left for me to tinker with.. 😀😂
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am there are 64bit files for many devices, beware.

also, the 32 and 64bit versions of Scope are not exactly the same. be careful of overwriting sys and pep files.

most of the device and dsp files are the same, but not all.
Thanks.

I’ll be careful.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I do hope these things get fixed “soon” 😁
Attachments
0E4F5E22-A014-4539-B6B9-62140298C92A.jpeg
0E4F5E22-A014-4539-B6B9-62140298C92A.jpeg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
astroman

Post by astroman »

There is a VDAT64 for quite a while and the VRC doesn‘t crash anymore in Win64. ;)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Great. Is that in the win 7 install or need to grab an updated file?
garyb

Post by garyb »

VDAT does not work currently, in 64bit.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Completed the 64bit install and merging of the install from xp, thanks for the pointers everyone, so far it’s working perfectly.. (touch wood)

Btw valis, I didn’t install anything other than the main scope 7 64bit and then merged the xp set up, pulled back over the scope 7 64bit and then install the specific 64bit files for plugins (in my case it was just Zarg, das and ghost plug ins that needed 64bit specific files..