from out of left field ... now with M1 chips, what about Scope 7.1 availability?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jjgoss

from out of left field ... now with M1 chips, what about Scope 7.1 availability?

Post by jjgoss »

Just checking in to see if I get my head lopped off for bringing up Scope 7.1.

Gee, I love this hardware, software, dev kit, and just would like to see it keep going
as long as possible.

But, the new Apple "M" series chips are a reality for all Mac users who will ever upgrade.

Cheers!

James Goss

NB: Gary, please don't let this piss you off, I know Scope upgrades are a sensitive subject. 😁
garyb

Re: from out of left field ... now with M1 chips, what about Scope 7.1 availability?

Post by garyb »

well,
there won't be any mac anything for PCI cards, as Macs don't have PCI slots.
it is possible to see Mac software for XITEs, but i don't know where the money would be for that. this is stuff that won't change. i doubt the processor makes anything more or less possible.

as to 7.1, that is certainly a Windows app at this time. it really should be ready any time now, but like EVERYbody else here, i have no idea exactly when. i actually expected it to be released this month, but it may or may not be ready.

the only thing that is sensitive is the opining that will follow will certainly be full of misinformation and half-truths.

my personal OPINION is that computers are for Scope, not vice-versa.
jjgoss

Re: from out of left field ... now with M1 chips, what about Scope 7.1 availability?

Post by jjgoss »

Yes, Gary, the Apple chips have no immediate bearing on PCs, but since they must be Intel compatible, with their
extra performance (that we have seen so far) won't people want to find a way to use them with Windows? I dunno,
just asking. I doubt Apple will sell the chips alone, though.

I stand ready to upgrade as soon as 7.1 is available.

Well, there still is a market for attached processing rather than within the OS, as my Antelope interfaces will atest,
as do the UA interfaces, and so on. Sonic Core did something right.

My new synthesizer that I paid more for than my Xite / Scope system is also full of FPGAs and/or DSP chips. It would
be even more amazing if I could add the Xite system to the "mix".

This is a special community, and I try to respect that. I just like to speculate and see where things are going since
I have been doing that since my high performance and supercomputing days - over 35 years now. I worked on a few
chip design teams, but none lately. Nowadays it would be easier to be arrested than for me to get that kind of work.
KInd of makes me laugh ... 🙃 in a strange sort of way.

Cheers!

James
dante

Post by dante »

The M1 thang got closed in another topic. Its not going to change things for Scope - so maybe plan to have 1 Windows system and 1 Apple system and join by MIDI / ADAT.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

The M1 is the fastest - in class of CPUs with an identical powerlevel. It's not faster than modern AMDs, for example. We did some tests within the company which showed this. Nevertheless the host CPU is no big issue with Scope, as most of the workload is done by the DSPs.

Looking at Ableton Live, which has a strong Mac community, there is no support for Apple Silicon yet.
So if in some future all leading DAWs are native working on Apple Silicon, SC might consider this market.
At the moment it would be a waste of recources IMHO.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
robinette

Post by robinette »

nebelfuerst wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:05 pm So if in some future all leading DAWs are native working on Apple Silicon, SC might consider this market.
At the moment it would be a waste of recources IMHO.
Jajajaja...
Top music software developers are working at 200 mph to get ready for this transition.
Others do it at 0.1 mph ... (checks the math), or they just don't.
If SC had thoughts of doing it, I don't think it would be very wise to wait too long.
The same are seen the ears to the wolf when Microsoft puts the meat on the spit for a viable Windows ARM (not as before).
Competition squeezes. Some prefer to sit and watch the hurricane arrive.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

The doped dogs of the market are barking...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fra77x2 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am The doped dogs of the market are barking...
YES ! ... unbelievable !

Every SCOPE user here @PlanetZ should be interested in getting SCOPE v7.1 in 1st place !

:)

Bud
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

robinette wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 am Jajajaja...
Top music software developers are working at 200 mph to get ready for this transition.
Others do it at 0.1 mph ... (checks the math), or they just don't.
If SC had thoughts of doing it, I don't think it would be very wise to wait too long.
The same are seen the ears to the wolf when Microsoft puts the meat on the spit for a viable Windows ARM (not as before).
Competition squeezes. Some prefer to sit and watch the hurricane arrive.
Here's the list of available M1-software: https://isapplesiliconready.com
Beside some bigger SW-product, most are open source/linux packages, that compile on every platform.

Is there a M1 hardware with PCI or expressslot available ? How do you connect scope/xite ?
This apple "hurricane" might be the same little wind, as it was their change to powerpc from 68000.
So I prefer to sit down with my 16 core AMD CPU, in fear of the mighty M1 to appear.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:37 am
fra77x2 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am The doped dogs of the market are barking...
YES ! ... unbelievable !

Every SCOPE user here @PlanetZ should be interested in getting SCOPE v7.1 in 1st place !

:)

Bud
Yep Scope 7.1 and then don’t care. Got cores everywhere here M1 irrelevant
valis

Post by valis »

The M1 lets everyone in the coffeeshop know how serious you are about making music.

Btw the M1 has a thunderbolt port, but Apple has 'leaked to insiders' that they already have a replacement port in mind. So TB4 might be the last one on apple. They're also already considering dropping the touchbar...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Let me know what happens.
Until then I’m making great musical projects since Scope and Windows 10 already work so good, this other stuff is of little interest to me.

I’ll buy 7.1 just to help those who made making music such a stable effortless joy for me.
15 years.
2 times I had problems, both with a PC.
Too much heat once, and again 2 weeks ago from my complacency to not change my PSU after 6 years.
Set up for an audition and the PC wouldn’t boot.
Second time I’ve ever lost an audition.
First time computers weren’t even in existence.

7.1 is fine by me.
Don’t need it.
New pictures and saving a few keystrokes are welcome.
valis

Post by valis »

Looking forward to 7.1 as well. I have too many Apple products to not be allowed to criticize their obvious planned obsolescence.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 pm Windows 10 already work so good
I don´t understand what´s so good for audio/MIDI w/ Win10.
In fact, I hate Win10.

I really hope I can stay w/ Win7 Pro and SCOPE v7.1 and there will be more developement in future !

Almost any native software already drives me nuts because it´s all about "the cloud" more or less.
"Subscription" becomes the keyword now.

Native Instruments already aquired by "some investor" and possibly going in that direction.
https://www.gearnews.com/native-instrum ... -platform/

:wink:

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

They're already basically a yearly sub model, so switching that to monthly with a lower yearly buy-in than we have seen before would simply be following what Adobe did after Adobe C6 & their Master Collection.

Do I like this? No. Is it inevitable for companies that market to the lower ends of the demographic charts? Yes. Which loops us back to the idea that all audio companies have to chase this model or be deemed dinosaurs. So many amazing instruments & tools over the years did NOT come out of a 'too big to fail' audio company, and I'm sure that will continue.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:13 pm
dawman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 pm Windows 10 already work so good
I don´t understand what´s so good for audio/MIDI w/ Win10.
In fact, I hate Win10.

I really hope I can stay w/ Win7 Pro and SCOPE v7.1 and there will be more developement in future !

Almost any native software already drives me nuts because it´s all about "the cloud" more or less.
"Subscription" becomes the keyword now.

Native Instruments already aquired by "some investor" and possibly going in that direction.
https://www.gearnews.com/native-instrum ... -platform/

:wink:

Bud

No clicks or pops using the same CPUs convinced me.
Doesn’t seem to mess with RAM being used like 7/8.1 did.
Then again maybe I’ve been lucky.
robinette

Post by robinette »

valis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:11 pm They're already basically a yearly sub model, so switching that to monthly with a lower yearly buy-in than we have seen before would simply be following what Adobe did after Adobe C6 & their Master Collection.

Do I like this? No. Is it inevitable for companies that market to the lower ends of the demographic charts? Yes. Which loops us back to the idea that all audio companies have to chase this model or be deemed dinosaurs. So many amazing instruments & tools over the years did NOT come out of a 'too big to fail' audio company, and I'm sure that will continue.
How much reason. :-?
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 am Looking forward to 7.1 as well. I have too many Apple products to not be allowed to criticize their obvious planned obsolescence.
I got the latest iPhone 12 Mini approx 2 months ago. Yesterday in the car, I had the aircon on (hot day outside), but after playing music thru Apple car Play for 40 minutes the phone shut down with a warning 'Cant use iPhone until it cools down'. The phone was a bit warm to touch, but couldnt understand why it would overheat in an airconditioned car cabin. Maybe it was the case it was in, I dunno but ...

Very uncool Apple. Never had that issue with all my Intel and Sharc companions.
valis

Post by valis »

Check Battery Health under Battery section of Settings to see your Max Capacity and timeline of events. I've only had an iPhone do that when i left it in direct sunlight, was worried I shortened its lifespan but I still have that phone lying around for ancillary uses and my children to skype grandma etc.
dante

Post by dante »

Well theres 'Low Power Mode' - in battery settings might try that - ankyu