10 bit midi in scope?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

10 bit midi in scope?

Post by the19thbear »

Hi.

I am slowly getting my system up and running.
I have a minilogue xd that I would like to use to control midi parameters in scope.

The problem is that the minilogue xd outputs 10 bit midi data, and scope only reads 7 bit midi data.
Is there a converter in scope somewhere?
Thanks
Peter Drake

Re: 10 bit midi in scope?

Post by Peter Drake »

Nothing in Scope or Modular that I am aware of. Spielraum would be the developer I would talk to to make such a thing.
There is a good general tool outside of Scope. Mapping parameters is no fun, but you should only have to do it once.

http://www.midiox.com/

|
valis

Post by valis »

I'm not familiar with Minilogue's 10 bit midi, so I would have to inspect it at the midi byte level to see what's going on. Midi is 7 bits + status bit, combining 2 midi bytes is the usual method and this gives 14 (usable) bits, so is it packing the MSB portion (the 7 bits that give access to the upper range of the 10bits) in one message and then the remaining 3 bits in another?

Or is it using NRPN's or sysex? NRPN's can be almost anyhthing (RPN's are the standard messages) and sysex can be significantly larger than 2 midi bytes well.

Or is it actually '10 bit midi' (which would be 11 bits with a status bit that should always be set to 1, as with normal 7 bit midi where the 8th bit is status)?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

the19thbear wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 am
The problem is that the minilogue xd outputs 10 bit midi data, and scope only reads 7 bit midi data.
I´m not sure about if this is a problem at all.
If it were, it would render mionilogue xd as unsusable when it comes to MIDI because MOST MIDI devices deal w/ 7-Bit MIDI.
14Bit MIDI resolution exists, but not many use it.
Means, when the receiver cannot "translate" 14-Bit MIDI, the result is 7-Bit MIDI resolution.
I guess it´s the same w/ 10-Bit MIDI data.

But that´s all theory ...
Did you run into problems already when using minilogue xd as a MIDI controller for SCOPE devices ?

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Capture the output in MIDI-OX and have a look.
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

I guess the Minilogue is using midi cc 63 with each cc to add 3 bits of resolution to some parameters, so it has 1024 different values for a knob, instead of 128 or 16300.

So a Scope device must read each cc, then read next cc 63 and multiply numbers, range it and assign to desired parameter.

Also if you simply filter cc 63 maybe you get common midi behaviour from the minilogue. Its a guess since i dont have one to test it. Cheers!
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
dawman

Post by dawman »

This has audio inputs for even higher resolution.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

jpo, is there a way to filter midi out that way in scope somehow? It's been a while:)
valis

Post by valis »

jpo_midigods wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 am Also if you simply filter cc 63 maybe you get common midi behaviour from the minilogue. Its a guess since i dont have one to test it. Cheers!
This is most likely correct. If the minilogue doesn't slew limit (lowpass/smooth the parameter changes) you'll hear stepping as it will be skipping values, but this is probably the simplest solution. When going for precise tweaks on lfo's & filters you'll then want to use the front panel and save into your preset, imho.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Yup.
Can all this be done in modular? Filtering cc63?
Or done in some other software?
Thanks
valis

Post by valis »

We have quite a few options for midi filtering in Scope.
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Ok I can see this is a not well documented feature of Korg product. I figure there must be any secret config switch to avoid sending cc 63 from minilogue midi out.

Anyway this feature seems annoying only with midi learn. Thats because midi learn is based on the last cc received, and minilogue always ends with cc 63. In Scope you can write the correct number yourself so no big problem. Numbers are usually listed in manuals on a standard document called Midi Implementation Chart.

For this filtering, i'd use simple MidiOX map or Reaper js scripting. If in Scope, just with Modular and Spielraum and BC modules everything can be done but not as quick as one-line mapping or 5 lines of code outside of Scope.

But i'd prefer not filter it since its a nice feature. In Modular, just convert the two ccs to async, multiply them, range it and connect to Modular modules. I use Spielraums Midi2Val to decode any midi data. Async is no easy, by the way... cheers!
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

yeah, i'll probably just use midiox.

thanks