ASIO & SCOPE

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

ASIO & SCOPE

Post by dawman »

Been 9 years since I tried to record anything, even then I'm very limited and have trouble focusing on perfection and editing.
I would simply hit record and play all the way through.

Now I got me an Akai MPC Live and the software is actually a DAW. I was trying to record it in it's plug in state and drove me to Jager sessions and anger.

Recently Akai released free software that's simpler than the full fledged software, so I'm going with 8 x MIDI Tracks and 2 x Audio Tracks until I learn my way.

Seems to have endless outs and ins so I just want to do 8 stereo (16 hard panned mono) tracks in and out of DAW.

STM1632X seems to be capable of direct and mix outs simultaneously.
I monitor with IEMs and Mix Out of STM.

Am I doing this right so far?

MPC.png
MPC.png (117.54 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
dante

Re: ASIO & SCOPE

Post by dante »

Well depends on what Spotify MPC is - if that's a real or virtual MPC looks like your mixing it with premixed DAW/STM output - which is OK. But if your MPC is hardware or a VST might be better feeding its output into your DAW, then mixing all in STM. The way it is now, any bus compression, other finalizing and send FX done in your DAW or STM wont be applied / available to the MPC.

In fact, with a virtual MPC (VST) I'd be breaking out each of its tracks separately, mixing in DAW or STM so each MPC part can be treated with separate EQ, FX etc.

I played with a virtual MPC ( https://mpcsoftware.akaipro.com/ ) but I didn't like the stock patterns / sounds and couldn't be bothered downloading more so I used existing EDM Rack Extensions in Reason instead which was for me a much faster process than the MPC learning curve.
Last edited by dante on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you could be.

i don't like to decide if a channel is stereo or mono, and how i want to assign outputs until i am ready for the session. it's no big deal to set it up if the basic template is in place, but if one of those channels becomes stereo, it might really mess with the direct out assignments. having to remove and reconnect cables is more trouble than just connecting cables.

i prefer the STM2448 for recording because it has 8 assignable recording busses which saves a lot of time patching. it also has a control room out which can monitor mix out, monitor out, or aux outs. yes, it has a dedicated monitor out. i would connect the iems to the control room out. it can listen to the nix out, plus it has a volume control, so you don't have to turn down the mix to adjust your monitoring level. this is important if you are recording the mix out.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was hoping you’d chime in and set me straight.
I should’ve known because I used those Busses before but the whole control room thing is new to me.
I shall proceed accordingly, Ankyu.

Bad habit of mine, even though I’ve the XITE-1 is to use as few connections and least DSP.
I have the XITE-1 Damn it, move on....

Ankyu
dante

Post by dante »

If the MPC has multiple analog outs, can be fed into A16 then XITE via Adat => Asio Dest => DAW => mixed / tracked w/ other DAW material => back to XITE for further STM mixing and/or mastering.

I used to do similar with Kenton plugstation
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ankyu
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey Dante, if you need a live host and don’t like spending money on Cantabile/Bidule, etc.
AkaI Beats is free, really lite and effective, and no dongle.

AkaI Beats is FREE.

EDM guys should check out the Tube Synth too, seriously fat 808 Bass stuff with glide.
dante

Post by dante »

Yep AKAI Beats is the one I referred to above - I installed it already and had it working w/- multiple outs in Reason. It just wasn't as inspirational as the other new stuff I got - yet - but I need some good sounds for it like on the iPhone version which had me tapping away for a full hour in a hair salon. The hair salons have all had to close now but the tapping away will continue....
dawman

Post by dawman »

What I like is Beats as my host, but also transfer my projects to the MPC hardware, use it as my live sequencer.
The outputs are way hot and just crush speaker cones.
Going to be my workflow for a while.

I’m using 2 x RCF satellites and a sub for my rig, another QSC K12 set up for a PA/Vocal then pump the MPC Live kick drum and bass out to a SWR Bass Amp.

Everything is really fat when the SE-02 and MPC both play Bass.

Whole new thang for me doing HipHop/Rap + R & B.

Better looking booty too.
Old rockers are fun, but elderly folks in Spandex can ruin my appetite sometimes.

Cheerz
dante

Post by dante »

Sounds like a hot rig.

Yeah doubling up the bass works a treat, I did that w/- the Prince and Billy Idol songs, using Rob Papen SubBoomBass through an Ampeg SVT-VR sim to bump up the top end snap for mix penetration.
dawman

Post by dawman »

It really does.
In this case it’s an attack transient, kick drum-ish on the SE-02 and the Akai has those sizzling hot outputs like an old sampler, so you get the boom and glide plus a thump.
Heard the bass line in the song “Don’t Rush” a UK HipHop group?

https://youtu.be/ouCuyQI9pXc

I stole it from them. Bass line sounds a lot like Come Together by the Beatles only faster and more powerful.
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah its deep. Prefer the Beatles line though. Anyway thats the kinda stuff Id fire up SubBassBoom for and give it the time it justly deserves.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

GaryB's advice was spot on.
Check out the Screen Set options, flawless operation
Routing Window no longer works as a Screen Set but I don't really need that.

001.png
001.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2374 times
dante

Post by dante »

Cool - simple and functional.

BTW - just when u thought it was safe to lock down your kit & retire on coronallowance - this looks REAL tempting for portable country house jamming. The keys are likely flimsy - but still..u don't expect a Steinway for $200
MPK-Mini
MPK-Mini
MPK-Mini.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is really good if you own an MPC or even the chins Beats software.
The new III is out and I might get it just because you can stroll around, no power outlets needed, and just jam.