Luna II Analog Input

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Luna II Analog Input

Post by fidox »

Hi ,

If i'd like to record sound from external sound module and connect it thru the Luna II Analog Input,
should i get decent quality input to record or ?

I owned once Luna box connected thru Firewire, so, is there any difference between quality ?

Thanks,
Matej
valis

Re: Luna II Analog Input

Post by valis »

It's line level / consumer -10dBV with RCA connections (not balanced) so the only issue is that you shouldn't connect a balanced cable directly without modding it or using a DI box or ground loop isolator. Also of course anything that's +4 dBu will be rather hot (and perhaps the wrong impedance).

In addition to DI boxes, I also have ground isolator boxes which I'll share below sorted by increasing price. The cheaper PYLE units are fine for connecting onboard sound and laptops to my large 48 chan mixer, and the better EBTech units are solid metal and sturdy enough for road use or throwing around the room:

PYLE Compact Mini Hum Eliminator Box - $17.99

PYLE Compact Mini Hum Eliminator Box - $23.51

Ebtech Hum Eliminator - $72.00

In some cases, I also use this. I've found it best to connect a power strip through this and load the power strip up with noisy wall-warts:

Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter,Black - $79.00
valis

Post by valis »

You can also search the forums for a thread we had a few years back where I posted diagrams on how to mod cables manually to account for all possible grounding issues, and note that to actually shift the level of the signal (between -10 dBV / +4 dBu) that's when you need a DI box to either pad (passive) or gain (active).
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 am ...so the only issue is that you shouldn't connect a balanced cable directly without modding it or using a DI box or ground loop isolator.
Thanks Valis.
I understand.
If i'll purchase external sound module, not sure yet, first need to see all options, like, recording sound module signal into the computer, then i'll decide.
For now, i just have this cable, 2 x mono output to 1 x stereo input.
41Zo0WlhtcL._AC_.jpg
41Zo0WlhtcL._AC_.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
valis

Post by valis »

Just being thorough, especially as there's others reading along always. Hope everything works peachy! :)
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm Just being thorough, especially as there's others reading along always. Hope everything works peachy! :)
Ofcourse, always welcomed ! :)