Analog Outs on A16U

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Analog Outs on A16U

Post by dawman »

Wanting to sample audio in my AkaI MPC from the A16U.

Do I need a PreAmp or certain cables for the best results?

Or would XITE-1 XLR Outs be a better choice?

Ankyu.
spacef

Re: Analog Outs on A16U

Post by spacef »

i suspect it would be similar. what are the specs of the mpc inputs? (balanced, unbalanced etc). In doubt, I would use the xlr outputs.
does the mpc do 32 bits sampling? that would make a real difference in quality when sampling with xite.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

24bit sampling on the MPC Live.

I love the sound of the A16 but noticed when playing live the outs weren’t hot like hardware samplers, etc.
I used my Radial Space Heater to juice them up but then I didn’t want Tube Sat on every output, so it was kind of overkill.

But for sampling any Radial DI with Jensen Transformers worked great on the Samplers I had back then.

I need a pair for sampling, but also need 6 x DI’s for the MPC’s outs for performing.
To get a one stop solution for sampling and performing a convenient Radial Rack other than the Space Heater might do the trick.

8099D66A-CC91-4C50-9FC8-502FBD8D25F3.jpeg
8099D66A-CC91-4C50-9FC8-502FBD8D25F3.jpeg (580.59 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am 24bit sampling on the MPC Live.

I love the sound of the A16 but noticed when playing live the outs weren’t hot like hardware samplers, etc.
You say, when you set all the DIP switches of A16U to +4dB,- that´s not hot enough for connectivity to outer world,- sampling, PA or such ?
dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am I used my Radial Space Heater to juice them up but then I didn’t want Tube Sat on every output, so it was kind of overkill.
I´d use such toys for the A16U inputs when set to +4dB and keyboard´s/module´s outputs are weak -10dB and need a boost.
(reminder: A16U I/Os are switchable -10/+4dB in groups of 8 channels,- but it rules for BOTH,- In and Out,- ALWAYS)
dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am But for sampling any Radial DI with Jensen Transformers worked great on the Samplers I had back then.
Typically a DI reduces output to (balanced) mic level.
dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am I need a pair for sampling,
Why ?
dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am ... but also need 6 x DI’s for the MPC’s outs for performing.
That´s a different story when going into a XLR-stage box and those stuff runs down to mic-inputs on a (PA-) console.
dawman wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am To get a one stop solution for sampling and performing a convenient Radial Rack other than the Space Heater might do the trick.
I´d prefer a 2-ch. preamp for sampling and multi-channel DI for performance (into snake/ mic inputs of a console).
The DI only if neccessary at all.
You might have the option going balanced from A16U into digital console´s balanced line inputs directly.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

It could be these powered cabinets need hotter inputs, bu.t regardless of what I’m hearing my usual Keyboards only rig needs some more oomph for Bass, Drums and Vocals.

The dip switches work really well with Pedals and FX units.
Not a matter of clarity as much as it’s a matter of beef and balls.

It’s possible the gear quality over the years has changed due to Economics.
I just keep hearing the old MacIntosh and Crown Amps everytime I lick on the RCFs or QSCs.

What I noticed is a lack of focus on the low end, and a DI does help 0n powered cabs.
I’m going to test out my friends PA and see if I can get some thumps for the Akai.

But my samples into the AkaI suck compared to expansion packs I’m buying.
Very noticeable so that’s why I’m thinking some juicy transformers will help.
If not I need a 2 channel DI anyways.

Cheerz
astroman

Post by astroman »

I second transformers (if good ones) - and have the very same experience with my bass (practice) headphone amp.
The Audient ID22 has a fine instrument input and 1st class monitor section, but pales in comparison to the vintage broadcast module and it's output transformer.