Chinese motherboard.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

robinette

Chinese motherboard.

Post by robinette »

Hi. I have had the option to buy a Xeon workstation with a Chinese motherboard (X79). I know the problems that exist with some boards but I am not sure if it will give any kind of problem with this.
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/40004499 ... hweb201603_

I hope you know something about this option.

A greeting.
fraz

Re: Chinese motherboard.

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Interesting subject for computers - I got one or two X79-T motherboards - Don't know who even makes them but are available on Amazon / Ebay etc....and the prices vary - But 60 is OK for one of these boards.

The one you looked at is a different board but still X79 - Which will use the E5_2600_series version_0_and_version_2_Xeon_E5's

On the X79-T the chipset is a 7-series just like the Z77 so I reckon it's more of a hybrid board 7-series chipset but uses LGA_2011 socket CPU's.

If you look hard enough you could find E5_2680_v_0__or__E5_2690_v_0 for a good price - Of course there are also the V2 CPU's as well.

The BIOS on X79-T is American Megatrends and a modded BIOS can be used where OC'ing is possible though I've not done this as it's a bit tricky to update the BIOS of the board you don't know who manufactured it.

The board you are looking at would be similar (possibly)

Drivers could be an issue unless a CD is provided - but a driver utility like Driver Pack or Snappy Driver would get you up and running more easily if you went this route.

If a board costs 70 & a Xeon costs 80 then 150 for board and CPU is good for a strong ish computer but the quality of the board will not be like Asus / MSI / Gigabyte or AsRock !.

If you can build your own machine and can work out the case wires for start-stop-reset etc... then this would be OK - DDR3 RAM probably

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=e12& ... 80&bih=938
fraz

Post by fraz »

These would be the processors to use with these boards.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... amily.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... amily.html

Other specs of the X79 board would be 2 x sata 6g \ 4 x sata 3g __but sata 3 (6g) card could be added for more sata ports. There would be 2 x usb 3.0 and 4 x usb 2.0

1 x pci-e nvme slot (which works and boots on the X79-T)___

So not bad at all if you could find a cheap case that is big enough

Single threaded performance may be lower than ideal in 2020

That is about it !
robinette

Post by robinette »

Thanks for the reply Fraz. Any problem with Scope?

Regards.
fraz

Post by fraz »

robinette wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:14 pm Thanks for the reply Fraz. Any problem with Scope?

Regards.
Hi, I've not tried with Scope but it is Intel platform X79 with 7 series chipset so it should work. Please note should work!!!

Ofcourse you could get a cheaper 300 series motherboard and get a used 8400 i5 ! And get similar results! -
dawman

Post by dawman »

Motherboards are usually good quality coming from China.
My ASRock Server boards thatI I’ve been using for 8 years are 100% stable and have really short trace lines and no gamer gunk.

Some chipsets had issues with PCI audio, but I had issues with Xeon Chipsets for some reason, never HEDT or consumer.

Good Luck.
robinette

Post by robinette »

dawman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 pmbut I had issues with Xeon Chipsets for some reason, never HEDT or consumer.
That's the problem. These Chinese motherboards are for Xeon. :roll:
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just bought another Chinese motherboard that’s a consumer based server if that makes sense.
X570D4U-2T2L

Waiting for the Zen 3 CPUs since Intel fell asleep and just keeps adding more Watts, more cores, more latency.
AMD has tons of cache and will unify it on Zen 3.

Never paid 392.00 bucks for MOBO before.
If it doesn’t work I’ll have a 2000 dollar 8 core internet surf PC.

Ankyu

972DA30C-5A0C-4189-8A3C-B9358A4BDDE3.jpeg
972DA30C-5A0C-4189-8A3C-B9358A4BDDE3.jpeg (453.63 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
valis

Post by valis »

My Xeon motherboards all cost in the range of $500-750 usually, and even the last AMD build I did (3-4 years ago) I spent about $300 to get good 12 phase power & power buffering as well as heat hardened components (this is the machine I take to do live visuals).

ASRock is good stuff, and if it's a server motherboard that should mean it's built to higher tolerances for both of the above (power/heat) than typical consumer fare, and trades the fancy paintjob and chrome RGB heatsinks for stability.
dawman

Post by dawman »

And dual M.2 NVMe’s set up horizontally right under 3 x Supermicro Barrell fans too.

Stability is worth the money, even though my old Intel, MSI and ASRock consumer boards worked great too.
These 1U builds are finnicky but once the airflow is going smoothly everything works well.
fraz

Post by fraz »

robinette wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:47 am
dawman wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 pmbut I had issues with Xeon Chipsets for some reason, never HEDT or consumer.
That's the problem. These Chinese motherboards are for Xeon. :roll:
The i7 would work as well which would be 3930 k and 4930k as well as any LGA 2011 CPU's.

Problem with these chinese boards is that information is hard to come by but the socket is 2011 and Xeons worked as well on all X79 boards but you need to be comfortable with knowing the specs.

Probably you may be best with a newer Intel or AMD board and go from there.