New System for old pci boards

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hifiboom

New System for old pci boards

Post by hifiboom »

Hallo everyone,

I have 2 Old pci Scope boards, a pro 15 dsp and a 6 dsp Board. Years ago these cards were running on an nforce 4 board. Now i have these boards running inside a Core i5 System and while everything is working, i have the problem with the pci overflow error when loading 2-3 reverb instances.
I have tried different workaround tweaking bios and so but had no luck .

Since i upgraded to windows 10 some time ago, the drivers need an upgrade and so i can no longer use the boards atm.

My question: is there a new system mainboard out there for the newer CPUs (amd ryzen or Intel) with massive power which is able to run the old Scope pci boards on it without pci overflow error with plugins ?

Does anyone have such an system running without pci error and give me the system configuration.?

In that case i would buy a new system and upgrade to the windows 10 drivers and maybe sdk stuff ..

Best regards
Hifiboom
yayajohn

Re: New System for old pci boards

Post by yayajohn »

I'm on an old socket 775 motherboard w/ 3 PCI slots. Not the fastest but it runs Win10 and gets 13 masterverbs w/o pci overflow.
Prob going to be a trade off btwn Scope perf and age of motherboard I would imagine.
Sure to be lots of guys chiming in here so you should find something that works for you.
(ASUS H81-PLUS and Z97 chipsets were the latest tested by the group here that had good perf with Scope.)

Glad you're back :)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Thank you yayajohn,

I would like to upgrade my main system. 2 or 3 Different systems maybe driving me mad.

Anyone with a modern system running scope?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hifiboom wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 am Thank you yayajohn,

I would like to upgrade my main system. 2 or 3 Different systems maybe driving me mad.

Anyone with a modern system running scope?
Not w/ Creamwware/ Sonic Core PCI cards.

But Dawman formerly found out MSI offers a mobo for modern processors, DDR4 RAM and for legacy PCI cards.
Here´s a german dealer, but obviously no discounter like the big online computer-hardware sellers.
https://www.alptech.de/de/product/msi-d ... -kabylake/

another dealer ...
https://b2b.rosch-computer.de/shop/ms-98l9-v2-0.html

You´ll have to contact ´em to ask for a quote.
You´d also be the 1st one here checking one out.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Xite is the path forward for Scope & a modern computer.

Scope (PCI card version) is increasingly become more of a secondary machine usage model, or you will need to find yourself comfortable with legacy hardware. Since many have happily used Atari & other legacy hardware in music for years, this isn't necessarily a concern. But our computing habits are set by the modern marketplace that wants us to use app-store models and 12-18 month upgrade cycles and carry laptop+tablet+phone plus a desktop throughout that process. I"ll leave it at that as we all have our habits...
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

PCI cards still work well in modern boards.
I own a PRIME X370-A with Ryzen 2700x and did some tests with pulsar2 and Win10.
Win10 is the bigger issue to me. It's a hard job to disable all those background stuff and after patchday some stuff behaves different.
3 PCIcards seems to be the limit of scope, so 2 or 3 pcislots are fine.

Xite is more modern and offers superior performance, but pcicards are cheaper and you could get lots of adat-interfaces more easy.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

So the issue isn't whether or not the Scope PCI cards run because I believe that most do. The issue is how well do they run. Hence the original post. I think most here can agree that the PCI bus has seen a steady decline in performance with each newer generation which you can't really blame the manufacturers since PCI format isn't used on new devices.
If you can post the masterverb test on that motherboard I think that would be useful info here.
Thanks