Using Bidule to route audio from Daw to Scope and back to DAW

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pollux

Using Bidule to route audio from Daw to Scope and back to DAW

Post by pollux »

Hi all,

I am trying to emulate the XTC mode in XITE and was wondering if I could use Bidule for this.
Basically I would like to insert Bidule as a VST plugin in each track, and then have it route the track audio to Scope through ASIO, do the processing for the track, send it back to ASIO, and in Bidule send the audio back to the DAW:

DAW TRACK VST (Bidule -> Scope ASIO in -> Scope plugins -> Scope ASIO out -> Bidule) -> other DAW processing for the track.

Have you already done anything like this? Do you see any possible issues (phase / latency for example)?

Thank you!

Raul
garyb

Re: Using Bidule to route audio from Daw to Scope and back to DAW

Post by garyb »

that sounds unnecessarily complicated.
what is the real advantage to this over Scope mode?
pollux

Post by pollux »

Well,

i did some testing with Tracktion Waveform, and it has an "insert" plugin that is made for using external effects in the audio chain, and it does exactly that. I map it to the ASIO output that I want to send to, and the ASIO input that I want to use in the return path. It also has a latency detection option to avoid issues.

Works like a charm. The limit is the number of ASIO inputs / outputs, but it's still a great option.
It's also mono only, but I can group two of them in a rack and use it as stereo if needed (or even more if I need for example a sidechain input)

so I kinda have XTC back in W10 64 :D

Thank you!

Rauk
pollux

Post by pollux »

garyb wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 am that sounds unnecessarily complicated.
what is the real advantage to this over Scope mode?
That I have all my workflow inside the sequencer with a heavy use of Mackie Control / Mackie C4, and that I use native plugins as much as scope plugins, and I mix using the audio engine of the DAW.

Otherwise my DAW is just a tape machine, and I have to do everything with the mouse inside Scope, which for me is a pain in the a**. :D

and with the "insert" plugin in Traction it's very easy to set up.
garyb

Post by garyb »

most DAWs already have an "external effect" plugin, though...
pollux

Post by pollux »

garyb wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:43 am most DAWs already have an "external effect" plugin, though...
indeed.. I just hadn't thought about it :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

:D
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

I kind of use Bidule in the other direction, to have a VST "rack" available within the Scope environment. It behaves very weirdly sometimes in ways I can't fully predict or accomodate, so you may be asking for technical headaches by working in the other direction. The longer I'm in the business the less patience/time I have for futzing around with something that is "reluctant" and unreliable in its operation, so my threshold for abandoning things that don't work has become rather low. Your mileage may vary.
dante

Post by dante »

To me the advantage of XTC over normal Scope would be rendering straight to disk of a Scope synth - rather than having to record it into the DAW (Reason) first then bouncing it out. All other native VI’s bounce out in one pass process.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I use Bidule to record, playback, reverse or loop, and send all audio into Scope Mixers with FX (int.& ext.).
Totally automated, very lean since the ASIO Host is for streaming audio. Scope FX and hardware sound better live than native plugs, with the exception of synths.
Ever since the i7’s native synths sound much better than they use to.