comparable audio quality

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jjgoss

comparable audio quality

Post by jjgoss »

Hi,

Has anyone made any comparisons between the Xite-1 and other I/O gear as to where it sits in audio performance? By that,
I mean how well does the D/A conversion work versus stand alone DACs of good quality?

Comparisons to any DACs would be welcome. I have half a dozen DACs, more if I include audio gear with internal DACs,
and I am reconfiguring my audio workplace with an emphasis on having one or more high quality DAC and ADC channels.

Thanks!

James
Xite Knight v2.0

Re: comparable audio quality

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

It's a lot of Money, but I can recommend any converter designed by Rich Williams. I guess my Xite-1 DAC is decent But my Universal Audio 2192 and Burl B2 DAC are in a totally different League. Once you have heard your favorite tracks on a Rich Williams DAC, there's a risk that you can't go back to normal converters :)

But, If you are on Scope 7 and dream of using something like a B2 DAC as the wordclock master, you will have to keep in mind that it is not currently possible, because our Xite-1 hardware BNC input does not work.

Our Xite-1 hardware won't be fully functional until Sonic Core releases a software hotfix for the BNC input port.

I am sure they will do that soon.
jjgoss

Post by jjgoss »

I certainly did not know the BNC input(s) were not functional on the Xite-1 hardware. I was kind of thinking of having a master clock
at some point.

Burl seems to make good stuff. I don't own any, but they consistently get good reviews and lots of studios have Burl gear.

Maybe garyb can jump in here and explain BNC and any clocking issues on the Xite.

James
garyb

Post by garyb »

v7.1 will have the bnc fix. Scope is bnc master only right now.

do you have a professional studio with a properly adjusted room, and world-class monitoring system? if not, it might be a moot point to spend much time comparing the very top-end AD/DAs. many people waste a lot of money on expensive things, when technique would solve the p[roblem for free. of course, good gear doesn't hurt anything in any way.

personally, i have compared Apogee to the XITE, and the XITE is every bit as good.
jjgoss

Post by jjgoss »

Hi garyb,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't have a world class monitoring system, and how well tuned my room is varies a lot since I am still
working things out. They use a lot of Apogee gear in the recording industry, and if the Xite-1 and 1D AD/DAs are competitive with it, then
that is more than good enough for me.

I am really just trying to minimize the errors in my system, tuned room or not, and would like to use my gear to its best advantage.

Thanks to all who replied, also!

James
garyb

Post by garyb »

of course!

please work on the room first. it's hard to hear the difference between gear, if the room has issues. :)

don't think i am discouraging the use of great gear, perish the thought! there is an order to things, however.

the XITE certainly has VERY high Quality AD/DA, though. that's not a worry.
jjgoss

Post by jjgoss »

Hi garyb,

When you say "the XITE certainly has VERY high quality AD/DA...", I can only say, "that is what I thought". 😁

I was just checking to see what others experience had been, if there were any issues, and what they think about using the XITE-1
in general. I think most owners are happy and some, like me, are amazed at what it can do that I haven't even got to yet.

James
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)