Updating old gear.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chilliman

Updating old gear.

Post by Chilliman »

I'm still using an old PC with a pentium 4 and xp to run my dsp cards. Have done for 15 years. Cubase sx3 and lots of outboard gear. Next year I'm gonna be moving house and want to do a brand new setup when I get there. Update cubase on a new PC, sell a few synths and some of my guitars, modernise a bit. How do the older cards work in 64bit systems? Am I better off just keeping scope as an outboard system on its own computer and getting a new interface on the new PC and just link them digitally. I was thinking about an xite, but seeing as my cards are still going, I'd like to keep using them. If they die I'll get me an xite for sure. Was thinking about a mac for the daw maybe. Anyone started using their old cards in modern gear, or is it time to let them have their own PC and move on for my DAW? Any actual experiences and problems greatfully received.
garyb

Re: Updating old gear.

Post by garyb »

v7 is good in 64bit, old cards work just fine in 64bit. the STS samplers, VDAT and some Scope sequencers do not work in 64bit. neither does XTC mode. these things may actually get fixed, soon. in any case, if those things are not priorities, 64bit is perfectly fine.
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

I'm on v5 at the moment. Never saw the point in xtc mode. Do use the samplers though.
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

It's mainly synths and effects to me, and getting audio into my daw.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no problem either way.
valis

Post by valis »

As Gary said, things work fine with Scope itself.

Much less tuning necessary on the computer side these days as well, system bandwidth has gone up dramatically and IRQ sharing shouldn't be the issue it was in that era. May be a few tweaks still relevant, I'll defer to others on that. But here is where you may want to read up if you're going to put the cards into a new system (especially to know what boards work best).

Also, since you have a perfectly working machine, I should mention I actually use a 2001 era dual Xeon (P4 era! The first set of P4 Xeon chips actually, Prestonia) and still run my Scope cards in that to this day. I keep spare RAM and a spare motherboard on hand for failures, as well as some spare drives, all gotten from a tech forum I frequent where I trust the other sellers (heatware but we all know each other well after decades, just like this forum). Using ADAT/AES/SPdif/Midi and a bit of Analog I/O isn't that big of a change to your workflow compared to the ASIO drivers themselves (I use an RME card on the main DAW box now).

Just so you know either direction has options, and the second paragraph above will determine the parameters of your decision imho.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

If you've got the money then buy the Xite. You won't regret it. (you will thank yourself later) Save the money on the extra super duper computer and buy a 5yr used model. That will be plenty to run your Xite and DAW and you will find yourself not needing that many VSTs that suck the life out of your computer. Save the old Scope cards and leave them in your current 32bit machine and link via ADAT into the Xite. Use this for the devices that the Xite currently doesn't support yet such as the STS samplers (Zarg synths run better too)
Several people including myself have a similar setup and personally I could not be happier.
Later on you can try and find an A16 Ultra and plug it into the Xite thru Z-link for 16 I/O. Currently I have every I/O hooked up on my Xite and it works as a great hub.
Anyway, that's my spiel. Good luck with your decision.