WoW For the first time in 15 years I have no clicks using the Wave drivers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

k500zm

WoW For the first time in 15 years I have no clicks using the Wave drivers

Post by k500zm »

Not since Win98 have I been able to play mp3 etc through the wave drivers without intermitent pops/clicks every so often - through many different mobos cpus amd /intel. My system had about 6 versions of cubase & wavelab installed and in the end Plugins weren't installing and plugin refresh was crashing with errors so I thought I'd do a fresh install W10 1903 - the only difference is I have not installed any music making software yet. So I have a backup of a working system without DAW etc for an easy start if something goes wrong on the music side. [it took 12 hours solid to get it all perfect for me though with all the tweaks & stuff]

It is sooo nice though not to have to wait in expectation of the inevitable clicks & pops :lol:
valis

Re: WoW For the first time in 15 years I have no clicks using the Wave drivers

Post by valis »

Once it's perfect, image!
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Yes valis as I said above I have backed it up - I use Macrium Reflect free which is the best - I probably have about 1TB of backups including backups of backups on seperate drives ;)

If anyone does get the crackles on using the wave drivers what I used to do was use Foobar which has an extra ASIO plugin you have to install after the main install that forces ASIO playback and therefore no clicks :)
valis

Post by valis »

I think I was agreeing with you, emphasizing what you had said for others. I am using Macrium Reflect at present myself, so we concur there as well. :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

+1 for Macrium Reflect

And Foobar is awesome too :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

k500zm wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:13 am Not since Win98 have I been able to play mp3 etc through the wave drivers without intermitent pops/clicks every so often - through many different mobos cpus amd /intel. My system had about 6 versions of cubase & wavelab installed and in the end Plugins weren't installing and plugin refresh was crashing with errors so I thought I'd do a fresh install W10 1903 - the only difference is I have not installed any music making software yet. So I have a backup of a working system without DAW etc for an easy start if something goes wrong on the music side. [it took 12 hours solid to get it all perfect for me though with all the tweaks & stuff]

It is sooo nice though not to have to wait in expectation of the inevitable clicks & pops :lol:
To me, that all sounds weired.
You say Win 98 at the beginning, so I guess you´re talking 32Bit throughout,- no ?

I tell ya,- I was able using SCOPE WAVE driver flawlessly,- no clicks, no pops, also streaming Youtube vids and music from the web,- on my old ASUS P5WD2 Premium mobo w/ WinXP SP3 (32Bit) and XITE-1/ SCOPE 5.1.

I hope it will work the same w/ Win 7 Pro x64 and SCOPE 7.x 64Bit though ... :lol:

:)

Bud
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Hey Bud

It may sound weird to you but since windows 98 every system I have had since then has had crackles on the wave drivers [ASIO perfect though] and I have built 4 systems since then xp & sp1 W7 & W7 sp1 to win10 1803 using different mobos and cpu's. I went 64 bit about 2 years ago and still crackles using Wave. The system that I have just done a fresh w10 1903 install on had crackles on for 1.5 years and I was on 1903 with crackles the day before the fresh install. So i dont know what has happened but I'm not complaining - It is true bliss :lol:

Valis & t_tangent - yep I concur :wink:

Here is a link for the asio output plugin for Foobar https://www.trishtech.com/2017/05/how-t ... oobar2000/
Obviously we dont need asio4all it will use our glorious Scope drivers...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

k500zm wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:59 am Hey Bud

It may sound weird to you but since windows 98 every system I have had since then has had crackles on the wave drivers [ASIO perfect though] and I have built 4 systems since then xp & sp1 W7 & W7 sp1 to win10 1803 using different mobos and cpu's. I went 64 bit about 2 years ago and still crackles using Wave. The system that I have just done a fresh w10 1903 install on had crackles on for 1.5 years and I was on 1903 with crackles the day before the fresh install. So i dont know what has happened but I'm not complaining - It is true bliss :lol:

Valis & t_tangent - yep I concur :wink:

Here is a link for the asio output plugin for Foobar https://www.trishtech.com/2017/05/how-t ... oobar2000/
Obviously we dont need asio4all it will use our glorious Scope drivers...
Well, I started w/ Win XP SP2 and SCOPE 4,- and even I´m a old guy, using ATARI MIDI sequencing as long as I could (like Joe Zawinul did because that was what he was familiar with) I learned ... "never change a winning team !".

Now it´s matter of interpretation ...

So, "true bliss" is right,- until it will disapear again ...

Bud
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the link to foobar Asio output. I will check it out :)
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Bud

My Atari st is in my mums loft - I used it for years and released many 12" records using that with outboard gear - but when PC's became powerful enough and reliable enough into storage it went.....
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm Thanks for the link to foobar Asio output. I will check it out :)
+1

thx too !

Didn´t know Foobar 2K supports ASIO

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

k500zm wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:21 am Bud

My Atari st is in my mums loft - I used it for years and released many 12" records using that with outboard gear - but when PC's became powerful enough and reliable enough into storage it went.....
Yup,- my MegaSTe 4 is now on a shelf too, didn´t use it for about 4 years now.
Before, it worked in a combo and together w/ PC.
I liked ATARI MIDI timing ...

1040STe and Mega ST4 are in their original boxes and ext. C-Lab/Emagic hardware too.
Can be I´ll set all up again one day.
That was a cool rig together w/ 8-bus analog console and reel-to-reel MTR.

Bud
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Atari 1040ste was a path to Scope for me. I used to run a Digidesign program called Turbosynth that was one of the earliest things I saw that allowed one to use basic synth and effect modules and connect them arbitrarily. Alas, I was limited to <4MB of memory and would have to transfer the sound over midi to a hardware sampler. The direct sound out of the Atari had a nice digital grit that I used as a lo-fi effect sometimes. When I first saw Pulsar back in 1998 I understood it as a much better version of what I had been doing.
I miss the precise midi timing and what a straightforward program C-Lab Notator was. I use Logic on a mac for the same kind of things now. I'm probably romanticizing the past a bit, of I had to use my old setup now I would be irritated at how slow and clunky it would be next to modern stuff. Just remembered that my external hard drive for the Atari was irritatingly loud.
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Peter

Yes it is nice to look back and romanticise about the past - like when I had a 10 mb expansion to my Ensoniq ASR-10 and the whole world of sampling seemed infinate at that moment! It did make for an artform of using samplers as synthesizers that I think has been lost now.
However the timing in 64bit Cubase is pretty damn tight now :wink:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am Atari 1040ste was a path to Scope for me. I used to run a Digidesign program called Turbosynth that was one of the earliest things I saw that allowed one to use basic synth and effect modules and connect them arbitrarily.
8) ... I still have the original boxed Turbosynth,- Sounddesigner Universal and Sounddesigner II as well.
Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am Alas, I was limited to <4MB of memory and would have to transfer the sound over midi to a hardware sampler. The direct sound out of the Atari had a nice digital grit that I used as a lo-fi effect sometimes.
Yes, it was all somewhat cumbersome ... OTOH, all the limitations were very creative.
Some worked around better, others didn´t.
Most of todays software applications support almost everyone because the main target is selling as much copies as possible which needs the masses, not the serious producer/musician only. (but what´s serious at all in times of digital theft ?)
OTOH, in the past, most companies serving the pros went bancrupt,- which also ruled for the hardware (synth etc.) manufacturers like Oberheim, Sequential Circuits,- even MOOG.
Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am When I first saw Pulsar back in 1998 I understood it as a much better version of what I had been doing.
I miss the precise midi timing and what a straightforward program C-Lab Notator was.
Notator was my prefered sequencer software because of it´s features, but Cubase ATARI w/ the red MIDEX(+) was still a bit tighter than Notator w/ Unitor (2).
I owned both setups and the Digidesign stuff.
That´s why I own several ATARIs still ...
I have a lot of vintage hardware in stock which is continuously maintained even I don´t use it since some years now,- and IMO, Steinberg Synthworks ATARI were the best editor applications ever even there existed Opcode Galaxy (+) and Emagic Sounddiver later for the Macs.
I have also these and stock 2 Mac G3 (beige) and G3, G4 Powerbooks as well as a G4 dual Gigabyte Ethernet.
The occasions became rarer, but sometimes I need that gear because of files I have in that format or others come and want conversions,- and pay for.
I had a customer, owning a modern online/download record company represented in 90+ portals by https://kontorrecords.de/.
He had lots of 5 1/4" MOD media full of Emu EIII samples and song backups done w/ AKAI DD1000.
I have a AKAI DD1000 in working condition and Plextor SCSI CD burner, old Mac and SCSI Director and was able building up a chain of drives,- and at least converted the stuff for NI Kontakt.
That was cool,- and I myself, now had the samples too (not the songs though).

I love owning the old gear when it still works.
What do you get when selling ?
You use it on occasion and earn more.
Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am I use Logic on a mac for the same kind of things now. I'm probably romanticizing the past a bit, of I had to use my old setup now I would be irritated at how slow and clunky it would be next to modern stuff.
Well, I´m surprised how fast and perfect it was working w/ ATARI MIDI even it was a 8/16MHz machine !
Todays machines and applications do AMAZING things, but ignore "old school" MIDI too much.
Loops, slices and audio files are great, but don´t replace the power of MIDI for arrangers and others being able to work w/ notation, IF the MIDI application supports notation.
But Logic and Cubase do !

I´d say Logic is the best in that department, except you use dedicated applications like Sibelius or such.
Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am Just remembered that my external hard drive for the Atari was irritatingly loud.
replace fan ! :lol:

I remember the old 20MB (yes,- megabytes !!!) HDX-20 for the Oberheim DPX-1 sample player which was loud like a jet ! :D

Well, at that time, the music was still louder !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

k500zm wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 pm It did make for an artform of using samplers as synthesizers that I think has been lost now.
exactly !
k500zm wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 pm However the timing in 64bit Cubase is pretty damn tight now :wink:
Which ?

In-going MIDI (via USB) or outgoing (to hardware MIDI instruments) ?
And when you say YES to outgoing and because you use Cubase, I wanna know which MIDI interface you use because the last 8x8 I used w/ Cubase SX3, which still supported LTB,- was MIDEX-8.
But since Cubase doesn´t support LTB anymore,- there´s no benefit for outgoing MIDI and the same rules for Apple Logic since AMT disappeared.

Today, the Expert Sleepers stuff seems to be the only tight interface for outgoing MIDI, but its just only 1 MIDI port (1 physical DIN MIDI connector).

Bud
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:04 am Just remembered that my external hard drive for the Atari was irritatingly loud.
replace fan ! :lol:

I remember the old 20MB (yes,- megabytes !!!) HDX-20 for the Oberheim DPX-1 sample player which was loud like a jet ! :D

Well, at that time, the music was still louder !!!
It was quite noisy aside from the fan noise, and only 20MB, and had a really strict restriction as to how long a cable you could use to connect it with the computer. Less than a meter as I recall, so there was really no way to avoid the damned racket. Later on I had an Akai standalone hard disk recorder with a whopping :lol: 200MB of storage. Not as loud, but it made this kind of chuckling mechanical noise on startup that was reminiscent of the alien noise in the movie Predator. I don't miss that recorder at all, but I do wish I had recorded the noise of it starting up.
Rebu72

Post by Rebu72 »

I'm wrong or you can do same with VLC (choose Speakers Sonic Core Pulsar2 as output) or you are talking to a different thing?
Just to not have two applications that do same thing (Foobar2000 and VLC)
Thanks
valis

Post by valis »

VLC has MMX/DirectX/Wav and file output for it's audio section, but no ASIO. ASIO was suggested because it bypasses the WAV drivers which are buggy for Scope users, and uses the ASIO drivers instead.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

MusicBee is also a media player that supports ASIO without the need of additional plug-ins.
About the clicks, I only experienced them after Scope V5 on Windows 7 and 10 and since Scope V7 upgrade, I have to say that clicks are very rare and I noticed it was worst on LGA1155 platform until I upgraded the power supply with a better one.
To me Scope is not essential for generic Windows use, at the moment I have very rare clicks on wave driver, so it's not an issue, but if clicks happens very often, i would use a different consumer audio card to connect straight to Scope hardware and process it like the Scope wave source.