[resolved] uncluttered switching Live and ASIO sources, or ASIO-like VDAT

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

at0m

[resolved] uncluttered switching Live and ASIO sources, or ASIO-like VDAT

Post by at0m »

Hi,

I'm working on a live >30 IO project, most all hardware IO, DSP devices are routed 1:1 to ASIO Dest. While all these feed to STM mixer, most all is throughput via STM's Direct Outs to HW output to a 24tr analog mixing desk. Some sources are fed to STM's buses and from there to the analog desk since i don't have enough tracks on the latter. All sources have tracks in my DAW, with dedicated ASIO IO for each. Mind you, I do not want to route everything over ASIO the way VDAT works as an insert: I want to work without any DAW running, just the same. I do not want round-trip ASIO latency while making the music. I do not need phase alignment or latency compensation in the DAW, which has a negative samples offset for recordings to align them with the realtime throughput of HW devices through Scope.

Now, I'd like to have my DAW act most similarly to what VDAT does, but with added editing, multiple takes, etc, from the DAW. Then I can easily toggle between every (live or MIDI sequenced) HW or Scope synth and a previous recording in the DAW, before they're processed downstream in the DSP project, in other patches/FX/STM.

A couple options I've explored:
  • "External Master Effect": a relatively simple device from stock, with level controls if needed. Doesn't have MIDI remote. to sort that, it could be inserted in the mixer, MultiFX, or a patch. But this device comes in no mono version. Still probably the most aesthetically pleasing option, with a little overhead considering most channels are mono.
  • Talking of overhead, yesterday I loaded up mausmuso's 24tr patchbay, but damn that's heavy on DSP. I suspect that under the hood, it has every possibly connection permanently made, and switches then select from these options. I don't need the option to switch any input to any output.
  • I could merge both live devices and ASIO sources (External Source) inside a patch with 'xfade mod' or some switch. This can be easily controlled both individually and globally, and in Scope or using MIDI. In the patch, the live devices can also be easily forwarded to their respective ASIO Destinations (External Dest).

If I failed to explain some things, or you have additional questions, I'll be glad to clarify. The reason I'm asking here is that maybe you folks have ideas for devices or tricks that I've missed. So I'm looking forward to your suggestions:
  • to make this work-flow, or at least its objective, go easier
  • DSP efficiency
  • Bonus points for tips that avoid cluttering the project window!
Thanks in advance!!
at0m
Last edited by at0m on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
at0m

Re: Ideas wanted for uncluttered switching Live and ASIO sources, or ASIO-like VDAT

Post by at0m »

Meanwhile, came up with a lil patch that
  • does away with lots of wires in the Routing Window
  • automagically selects between live and recorded audio - not sure about this yet. will have to actually play with it some more. i'm not feeling much to spend much more DSP on this. If it comes to that, out goes the automatic selector circuitry and manual switching it will be.
  • is quite an efficient way of doing what I described in the original post above
  • may keep me from going out and seeing folks IRL for a change, on this saturday evening. err. disregard that. :lol:
I hope this doesn't confuse the hell out of some of you:
automatically selects live or recorded source for DSP processing then external mixing
automatically selects live or recorded source for DSP processing then external mixing
scope-automatic-input-selector.png (228.13 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
at0m

Re: Ideas wanted for uncluttered switching Live and ASIO sources, or ASIO-like VDAT

Post by at0m »

After some more trying, seems the patch works just great. With both live and recorded audio active it switches inadvertedly, as the automagic switching is very crude, but then it's a matter of me choosing what channel to mute/unmute in the DAW.

I will now do different presets of that very same patch containing different saved versions of the External Effect, and populate the project with that. And make a stereo version, a different patch with 2 Ext FX. I expect DSP usage and amount connections to remain pretty low when scaling this, so should be ok. I'll update when done.

Most of the work is human batch processing in assigning IO to the External Effect in the project, saving the External Effect, deleting it, loading it again so it can be named in the Live Bar, and then save the final version. For each and every HW device.

Oh, and the Audio In takes Direct Output from the STM, which is used for gate, dynamics, other stuff I don't have in hardware. Once the Direct Outs are set to Hide on the STM, the connections will be hidden in the Routing Window.

And for the stereo version, using 2 Ext Fx, the xMod/Fb Connector can go. And all them text modules are going out, too. These were there just for explaining the patch in the screenshot.

Sorry for thinking aloud here, but maybe someone else, too, can find a use for such.
astroman

Re: [resolved] uncluttered switching Live and ASIO sources, or ASIO-like VDAT

Post by astroman »

definitely useful thinking... about the quick Scope live scenario versus the (in my case, too) unsolved recording setup.
In all those years still not solved, blame it to Mr. Lazy, who's attention is drawn away by 'sound' ever so often :D