Levels For Powered Cabinets

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Levels For Powered Cabinets

Post by dawman »

I run my cabs and Sub at ridiculously low levels because Im always mixing in Scope treating it like hardware.

Should I try and mix @ -12 or -20db in Scope so my cabinets are at least working a little harder?
astroman

Re: Levels For Powered Cabinets

Post by astroman »

Level doesn't matter (much) for a quality cabinet - it will react similiar on low and high volumes.
But your ears won't be as trustworthy: their natural freqquency response is loudness depending.
So the same cabinet will appear to sound different at different volumes ;)

Some guitar cabinets may sound really crappy without enough energy into them, even small drivers.
I remember a 30Watt Marshall combo that fit my 335 clone in a great way, but you couldn't play it at living room level...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks, I totally understand the perception of volume.
I found RoyTs awesome +24db gain device.
Im running all apps in Bidule/ASIO @ -12db, then -12db on Scope channels. -10db on Master out.
I just use the +24bd device as my master out.

Using the meter I get the signals at or around -12db and crank up the cabinets.
Im pretty sure it was the sub tweaks with boost and filter that made the cabinets sound better.

Ill try and find a meter in Scope that is -24db because Im using a meter that starts @ -12db.

Thanks Astro for confirming my suspicions
garyb

Post by garyb »

the XITE is a +4 pro level device.
powered speakers are -20 consumer level.

the XITE is really a hot level compared to what the cabs are expecting, but that is why they have a level trim control.

it does not matter unless the inputs of the speakers are overdriven by the XITE. if that is the case, lower the master in the XITE. otherwise, just turn them down. the amp will be working just as hard in any case and if it's not overdriven, the hotter signal to the speakers' inputs will result in a lower noise output.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 pm the XITE is a +4 pro level device.
Shure ?
The pro active cabs I know offer +4dB @input #1 on XLR for line plus a mic/line switch AND a level pot in addition.
Inputs #2 and #3 are the -10 (or -20) dB channels for additional consumer level gear to be connected.
A reference might be a Yamaha DXR xx mkII ...

There are also other active cabs not offering multiple channels at all, just only XLR +4dB w/ a PAD (-10/-20 ... ? ) and a thru-connector.
I guess the others need the level pot just only for the mic to be connected and because they want to sell these cabs to everyone,- not only musicians.

I think, connecting XITE-1 (XLR) analog audio out w/ a powered cab>channel #1, leaving the level pot @ ZERO (0) and the switch @ "line" should be the ideal setting, then use some passive attenuator in between to adjust overall level.
At least that is what I did when I connected XITE-1 to an amp and passive speakers,- and I myself I never made a difference between "studio" or "live".

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

pre-gain will not only reduce the amount of work for the active cab's own amp, but it may also add some saturation and act as a bit of an 'eq curve' due to that. In other words, it might 'sound better' to his ears because it's loaded hotter at saturating. I suppose that's ok as long as you're not turning it into mush and the amp isn't smoking :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:23 pm
garyb wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 pm the XITE is a +4 pro level device.
Shure ?
The pro active cabs I know offer +4dB @input #1 on XLR for line plus a mic/line switch AND a level pot in addition.
Inputs #2 and #3 are the -10 (or -20) dB channels for additional consumer level gear to be connected.
A reference might be a Yamaha DXR xx mkII ...

There are also other active cabs not offering multiple channels at all, just only XLR +4dB w/ a PAD (-10/-20 ... ? ) and a thru-connector.
I guess the others need the level pot just only for the mic to be connected and because they want to sell these cabs to everyone,- not only musicians.

I think, connecting XITE-1 (XLR) analog audio out w/ a powered cab>channel #1, leaving the level pot @ ZERO (0) and the switch @ "line" should be the ideal setting, then use some passive attenuator in between to adjust overall level.
At least that is what I did when I connected XITE-1 to an amp and passive speakers,- and I myself I never made a difference between "studio" or "live".

:)

Bud
yeah, all true, but if he has to lower the level in the XITE or attenuate the cabs, then it's a signal that's pretty hot.
it would be best to run the amp open, and attenuate the mixer, but whatever balance works...

the difference between live and studio is mainly the choices of gear. studio stuff gets broken live.
yes, many cabs have +4 or -20 inputs these days, but not all.