RME raydat AND scope connected together!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

RME raydat AND scope connected together!

Post by Marco »

Hi guys,
FIRST I WANTED TO THROUGH MY SCOPE CARDS INTO GARBAGE AND BOUGHT A RME RAYDAT ........ BUT THEN :
I killed the drivers of scope in the Arrangement
Windows and connected one ADAT IO with 8 audiostreams from scope into my RME raydat within one PC! And it works. No f##cking pci Overflow messages anymore! Because to many audiostreams kill the pci bottleneck. (only 8 card succed)
I use scope a like an external mixer and more going into rme's Adat connections. And use 24 more Direct Adat connections ifrom my A16 nto rme's Adat connections. I load rme's asio drivers into cubase, and it works great!
Rme's latency is extrem low because pcie!
I m not forced to Start scope if I dont need it. I can work with cubase only. I have combined both advantages of both worlds and enjoy the benefits.

Did you do the same? Do you have experience with this type of connection? I Route audio streams via the Bussystem throufht rme's lightpipe into cubase for more fun!

Do you have any Tips or tricks?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
brookesy

Re: RME raydat AND scope connected together!

Post by brookesy »

Hi Marco,

I had a similar setup about 12 years ago (maybe longer) with the old RME DSP 9652 and had a reasonable amount of success with it.
There is one thing that irks me as I read your post and that is that I should have used the RME ASIO driver and not the SCOPE driver . it was by far the more superior driver and I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing this and the various routing connotations at my disposal. Saying that I can't remember if the totalmix software was included with those early cards which may have had a impact on the decisions I made at the time.
Using SCOPE's mixers as your main console and using SCOPE's processing to power it's synths, effects and midi tools is a very efficient way of working within the box.
I would record the mixer's output with a audio editor like Wavelab with the wave driver only (it was more stable for me). That was a long time ago but these modern computers would handle it no problem.
Don't forget about RME's totalmix software for extra routing possibilities (it's worth a look)

Good luck with it.
Regards
Simon
valis

Post by valis »

Totalmix has always bee present on RME cards, and I concur about the routing possibilities (I have 3 RME cards connected to my Scope cards). However I will mention that attempting to mix in Totalmix isn't worth it. Switching between the Matrix view (X) and the Mixer view (M) however is well worth it!

Marco,

I use RME cards on separate machines and keep Scope in the same machine it's been running in pretty much since I got my first card. I personally find this to be the best of both worlds, as I can tune the machine around the software its running.

If you use modular, have a look at the SAW ramp flexor stuff for generating your clock, recording those ramps into your DAW (on an audio track) and then sending that info back to modular in time with your DAW's timeline is the most rock solid timing I've ever found with any gear, hardware or software.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thank you very much for the flexor hint. Yes I have flexor. I feel very relaxed now after this fight.

Make scope great again. :lol:
Attachments
Connectionbay
Connectionbay
20190916_110620.jpg (6.64 MiB) Viewed 5691 times
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 am Totalmix has always bee present on RME cards, ...
No,- "pre HDSP" RME cards had no DSP, consequently no Totalmix.

My old and trusty RME Hammerfall 9652 p.ex.,- which is different from RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652.
The "non HDSP" cards still run RME Digicheck though.

And yes, I used to run SCOPE PCI bi-directional via ADAT (and physical 5-Pin DIN-MIDI) into RME Hammerfall 9652,- like you, SCOPE and RME cards in different machines,- 1 for SCOPE alone and the other for all the native stuff.
That´s why I used the ASUS P4T-E mobo together w/ Intel P4 2.4GHz, RAMBUS RAM and WinXP for so long and until I shot the BIOS chip w/ an update (which I did because I wanted the Intel P4 2.8 needing different microcodes),- the machine was ideal for SCOPE PCI standalone operation,- at least w/ SCOPE 4.5.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 pm
valis wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 am Totalmix has always bee present on RME cards, ...
No,- "pre HDSP" RME cards had no DSP, consequently no Totalmix.
Ah yes, you're correct, I was responding in a hurry at work. Thank you for that :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

The main 'feature' of the pre-HDSP RME cards (Digi series) is the lack of a kernel streaming driver.
They work fine with Asio, though - but no system sound of most streaming services and similiar.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

For me the main feature of the digiseries is the linux kernel driver, so you could use linux in your setup, too.
There is no win64 driver for them, so you can get these cards quite cheap.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Janni

Post by Janni »

I use a similar setup:

Main DAW on MAC with a RME Raydat
Scope PC with 1xScope and 2xPulsar2

I pretty often use TotalMix's snapshots for comparing FXs or mixes, eg. mix without anything vs. mix with PsyQ and Optimaster.

I use Scope for 2 FX-chains for my Rhodes
3 FX-chains for my Git
2 FX-chains for my Bass
1 "Mastering-Chain"
I also use the snapshots for changing the fx chains, eg. snap 1 routes my git input to git fx cain 1
snap 2 to git fx chain 2
snap 3 to git fx chain 3
-/-
Scotty_123

Post by Scotty_123 »

I am also on Raydats ... I run a pair of them with dedicated ADAT channels (16 in and out) to my 25 DSP Creamware rig and another 8 to my Korg Oasys PCI rig. The rest of the ADAT inputs and outputs are connected to converters to route my preamps and external effect boxes. Almost everything in my studio is setup as external synths or effects with some touchOSC templates from my Ipad in there for some custom midi control where beneficial/ possible. I don't use patchbays other then to route the XLR inputs of my mic pres to the front of my racks for easier access. I love having the IO available to keep things connected.

I have been using RME for a long time like this (previously was using Hammerfal 9652s) and prefer to keep my Creamware stuff in its own box... capture the audio into Cubase on my main DAW rig... and go from there.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Yes, keeping things neat and focussed ... 8)
Marco

Post by Marco »

:) I see, I'am not alone. And now after only 2 weeks, this configuration is really very reliable. It works and works and works. I can connect all my Hardware stuff, and it works..... I am really very happy now. OK the pci Overflow message is a bitch, so problematic, but it is gone now, because I throw it into garbage. But now a life after scopes asio driver it is like a deliverance. No trouble, RME does the Job now, and the same with pci bottleneck it was substituted by Adat lightpipe.
Janni

Post by Janni »

-/-
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

hi i make like you working scope 5 with protools hd so powerfull no more latency real time playing recording with RTAS plugins at 64 samples !
Attachments
protools hd salved by samplitude.png
protools hd salved by samplitude.png (755.33 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Love those old 01V’s.
I had the very first Yamaberg DMP7. Great lice mixer, but the ProMix and subsequent digital Yamaberg mixers were incredibel long term incestments, totally utimted by DAWs long before othere became hip.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

dawman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm Love those old 01V’s.
I had the very first Yamaberg DMP7. Great lice mixer, but the ProMix and subsequent digital Yamaberg mixers were incredibel long term incestments, totally utimted by DAWs long before othere became hip.

Jim, how many jagermeisterso did you have when you wrote this? :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

None, but it’s Friday so Im going to get a teenth and a pint of Jager for the drive to Vegas.
Yamaberg sounds better than Steinaha. When Roland bought Sonar I started referring to them as Cakeland.
Google bought YouTube, hence GooTube.
When Harman Kardan bought Lexicon they became HarmaLex because they actually destroyed the once awesome reverb company.
Samsung bought Harman Kardin hence Harmsung.

Globalism is great.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

LOL, too true.

And enjoy your drive to Vegas. :)
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

Yamaha 01V96 is a very speed and powerfull console very strong made the sound is little crashy but the dynamic is here i conpensate the crashy soung with plugins rtas plugins and it's perfect !