Scope STS 5000 = Roland V-synth??!!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sethius

Scope STS 5000 = Roland V-synth??!!

Post by sethius »

Hi I just came across this:

http://scope.zone/index.php?lg=en&id=13 ... d_2437=137

The audio demo of the monks is Preset 1 on the Roland V-synth!

Was this just sampled from the V-Synth or is the V-Synth build off of Sonic Core technology??!!
petal

Re: Scope STS 5000 = Roland V-synth??!!

Post by petal »

If my memory services me right, the STS-5000 is modelled after the Akai S5000.

I guess that both samlpers and the V-Synth shares features (Pitch shift) and samples, which explains the similarity:

V-Synth preset demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzW7SXBowaY
sethius

Post by sethius »

I own a V-synth and the Monk sample used in the demo of STS 5000 is IDENTICAL to Preset 1 on my V-Synth

I remember when the s5000 came out.. back then no mainstream physical hardware sampler could do realtime time independent pitch, time and formant manipulation

the Roland VP9000 was the first and it was a BIG thing.. the technology was eventually integrated into the Roland V-Synth

..hence my original question.. did Sonic Core / Creamware have anything to do with the design of the Roland VP9000 / V-Synth.. or is this just a sample taken from the V-Synth and then reprocessed with the STS-5000?
astroman

Post by astroman »

Afaik the timestretch/pitchshift of STS5000 can only be applied to an already recorded sample.
It's no realtime process on input audio and written in Intel code, not Sharc DSP.
This makes a relation between Roland and Creamware/Sonic Core rather unlikely, but that's jmho on the topic, no facts.
valis

Post by valis »

Ie, not under realtime via control messages, but that's perhaps all.

I remember really wanting a Roland Variphrase, then a V-Synth. I once considered replacing my JD-800 with a V-Synth but decided the difference in tone didn't support that. I might revisit that idea now that my JV-1000 is leaking red gunk under the keys though...food for thought.