Phase Fixer or Sample Delay Insert

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Phase Fixer or Sample Delay Insert

Post by dawman »

I need the extra gain on certain algorithms and unfortunately I’m hearing tone colorations from phase
Would love to stick one into an insert on SpaceFs Mix 5 and see if it can fix things.

Maybe build one in Modular but then would need a BCM insert.

Any ideas welcome.

Ankyu
Peter Drake

Re: Phase Fixer or Sample Delay Insert

Post by Peter Drake »

Do you mean like Parallize http://forums.scopeusers.com/download/file.php?id=4445 or PhaseFix? https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9en6c6xv4pu8 ... isa.de.zip By Mix 5 do you mean the master section on Modular Mixer V1? If so, I've used MS Slot there to that purpose. http://www.scopeusers.com/Pulsar/files/ ... MSSlot.zip There's another tool called MiLLi-DeLay from a very long time ago that I can't seem to find a link for.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually on the Channel/Bus Inserts.
I can also place one post Hardware Insert Module pre Mix5 in the project window.

Dropbox wouldn’t allow me to download or preview but I did get Parralize.
This is a Phase X or something I need but I could try the MSInsert and see if it works.

Thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here they are.
Too bad they're not inserts but at least we have a pair.
PhaseFix.zip
(117.73 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
astroman

Post by astroman »

Phase Fix also does a great job when aligning channels with external fx units 8)
(if one isn't using the 2448 Mixer, which has the feature built into the channel strip)
dawman

Post by dawman »

astroman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm Phase Fix also does a great job when aligning channels with external fx units 8)
(if one isn't using the 2448 Mixer, which has the feature built into the channel strip)
That’s exactly what Im doing with these Astro.
Fine tuning on the Phase Fix, not even the X version is most welcome.

I hate having these excellent effects adding color due to sample delay or phasing.
Thats from running 100% wet.
Odd that the Reverb doesn’t seem to suffer from coloration.
The coloration sounds find really but I notice when using my Expression Pedal going from 100% to dry the tonal aspects change.

Not any more thanks to these.
I think Red Muse mde these of maybe at0m.

Whoever, thank you.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Okay, here's MiLLi-DeLay and another handy tool called PhaseCheck. I can't find where I got these, so if anyone recognizes them and objects to them being distributed I will remove the files. Also, don't know if these have related .dsp or .dll files and no way to determine that or which ones.

Another caveat: I've been bedeviled many times with phase issues both inside Scope and with integrating outside effects to a Scope project (but still a fraction of what I had to deal with back in the day) I have found that the amount of delay can vary with different instances of the same project or even sometimes with changes to a project. I'm strictly PCI-based, and I have suspicions that changing delay amounts are due to differences in how and what combination of DSP chips are allocated to different things. My use-case is primarily recording and sound design, so my solution is to double-check before committing something to a sound file. YMMV if you're on Xite or your use-case is something different.

Also, there are some very remarkable phase tools out there in VST world if you would like to pursue other solutions. In particular Sound Radix makes tools that have made some very difficult phase-alignment tasks much more simple.
Attachments
Phase Tools.rar
(63.12 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

astroman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 pm Phase Fix also does a great job when aligning channels with external fx units 8)
Thanks Astroman, this prompted me to open the manual on the 2448 for the first time in years and find that I had missed some features. I think I will be using the PCI board assignment in the near future.
valis

Post by valis »

Just a note that when phasefix is necessary, you will likely have to adjust it on every project load, as the dsps will change in regards to what is loaded where.

Also, this is not as useful probably for jimmy and live setups, but when I would use phasefix for fixing parallel situations or an fx return where phase coherence was necessary (etc), my workflow in the DAW was to time align by EYE first by recording the result back and checking the offset time (in samples) on the 'return' track. I would do this using either a few sample-long transient (click) or making a DC offset and then trimming it to be a square of a few dozen samples. The latter was sometimes a bit longer, as typically the 'return' or 'parallel' response would either smear it in time or filter (lowpass/slew limit) the 'square' wave into a smushed slope/triangle shape. I would then simply nudge things back & forth a few samples by ear (for each channel) until I thought I had the best 'fit', record the result into that 'return' track again and compare to insure I wasn't fooling myself.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I do it on recorded tracks in a similiar way, tbh I never ever used Phase Fix in such situations.
(as dry and wet parts get a dedicated track anyway, I just shift the dry signal by aligning a location with a solid transient)
Only takes a couple of seconds in SAW-Studio... one of the features for which I stick with this oldie, but goldie :D
(the playhead indicator crosses all tracks and remains on it's position while shifting content, so it's easy to set it to a peak on track 1 and shift the respective section of track 4 to that mark...)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Using SurAudio’s Project snapshot you can use Phase X and kick off and on various settings along with bypass.
I might just start using STM 2448 again.
What’s cool is I can use the STM’s Mono AUX out, then Stereo Return and there’s absolutely no coloration or phasing issues.

They’ve done some work on the 2448 in Scope 7.
I noticed the Comps are much snappier and when you go from mono to stereo by hitting the widget above the channel it takes much longer to show the rose colored button.
I’m talking 5 seconds.

Never saw that before so somebody was tweaking..