infacing a dedicated DAW pc ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nebelfuerst

infacing a dedicated DAW pc ?

Post by nebelfuerst »

Still struggling with my DAW, I came to the conclusion that a PC with the DAW should by a unit on its own.
This means, it is seperated from the PC with scope.
I did a first try with an USB-interface Aureon7.1 linking with adat optical, but the link to scope only worked with the Aureon being the sender. Aureon doesn't seem to understand, what scope is sending.

Is there an interface, which can link to scope with an 8 channel adat ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Peter Drake

Re: infacing a dedicated DAW pc ?

Post by Peter Drake »

Your questions are a little unclear, but I'll try to answer them. By DAW do you mean the multitrack audio/midi/synth software that is not Scope? Yes, you can run things on a separate PC, but that brings a whole set of other problems. Specific information as to what you are trying to do would be helpful. I looked up the Aureon interface, and you are mixing two different interface standards that have a connector in common. The Aureon is doing SP/DIF through optical and the Scope is doing Adat. These standards don't mix or interchange with just the cable. There are many Adat/analog interfaces that can get along with Scope, and you can spend as much or almost as little as you would like. Sometimes these are referred to as "lightpipe" but any search using the terms "Adat" and "interface" will provide a torrent of answers. Extra credit: If you do intend to run things on separate computers someday then pay special attention to getting an interface that supports external clocking. Good luck, hope this helps.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

You got my point. I had some bad stability issues with samplitude X3 and scope, which I couldn't resolve, so I try to get the DAW separated.
The Aureon was used with SP/DIF, which I set in the scope settings ( the same window, which allowes to set the sync source).
As Aureon failed to receiver data, I want to be sure, that an other interface would work. ( Aureon didn't receive a SPDIF from my mainboard-soundcard either.)
Maybe I should wait some scope update to get my stability issues fixed..
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

I run Scope on a second PC, and prefer this. I also have an analog board and other outboard gear, so this workflow makes sense alongside all that is going on here. Scope is basically a black box swiss army knife when used as standalone gear, and anything I can do via the DAW is still possible.

Saw RAMPs for flexor? Yep. Midi solid? Yep.

And if I were to be truly honest, I have TWO machines here wired to it via ADAT, a Mac Pro and a comparable Dual Xeon, both using RME interfaces. The Mac Pro also does AES to Scope, so that I have 10 digital channels between those machines (Mac Pro & Scope), 8 between the Dual Xeon & Scope (I use the Xeon as a plugin host and VCV rack host), and still have my analog i/o going to and from the board. And it's 100% stable, and I can *still* run plogue bidule on the Scope PC if I really want to get into project save/load purgatory ;)

Now, I do think it's also perfectly possibly to achieve a solid running Scope + DAW in a single machine. However if you're using the DSP cards like I am, having a legacy machine with the PCI cards makes upgrading your DAW stuff much simpler (or let's say you run Logic on MacOS as I do...)
JonJ

Post by JonJ »

Hi. I also run Scope on a separate PC. Connection from DAW PC to Scope PC is via midi interface and 1x8 ADAT In/Out connections from RME Digiface. ADAT In channels allow Scope to process DAW Audio through synths/effects or provide additional oscillator input into modular III setup. Alternatively I can run Scope softsynths and Ocean Swift and Solaris plugins. I also run Kron CV generator which is routed out to Expert Sleeper interface/ Eurorack via separate 1x8 ADAT Out group from Scope. Eurorack audio comes back into Scope PC and then straight back to DAW via 1X8 ADAT Out group of RME. Works a treat for me. No latency issues that I've noticed. DAW PC concentrates on what it does best and Scope PC provides lots of sonic support. Only downside is that my Scope system is only 16 DSP (2 x 6 + 1 x 4). Would love 2X 15DSP PCI cards to boost it's power. :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Personnaly, I used to run my xite-1 + 3 PCI cards on the same pc without any noticeable issue !

By running Scope on another pc than your daw, you'll loose the 64 asio i/o benefit !
Nebelfuerst, I didn't follow your problems with your Scope and daw on the same computer, so my question might be already discussed but did you try a fresh windows install ?

Normally, if your Aureon interface has adat i/o, it should be linkable to your Scope hardware if they also have adat i/o. Adat is a standard done to link any adat hardware with any other, no ?

I linked one of my xite-1 adat to my expert sleepers ES-3 and it works perfectly but indeed, if your Aureon are sp/dif with the same cable as adat, they won't understand each other ! There is sp/dif on Scope but just for one stereo channel, I believe. And it's not an optical cable.

I hope this helps !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

nebelfuerst wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:28 pm ...
As Aureon failed to receiver data
SPDIF also had connection problems earlier,
they disappeared when i connected the mass of the two golden chinch plugs...
(pulsar 1 in/out)
weird, but it worked
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR