Master output and Dither

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Master output and Dither

Post by Music Manic »

I was just wondering how all the mixers built for the scope platform deal with the sample rates and bit depths when trans dicing to the analogue and outputs and also if I wanted to stream the audio to a lower Samplerate.
Are their specials types of algorithms for the conversion to analogue or is it just the standard DAC?

Are there any type of dither applications for Scope?

Also how does scope deal with looping audio back into a daw? Would it be better to use floating or fixed point asio,drivers? I guess fixed point.

Thanks
garyb

Re: Master output and Dither

Post by garyb »

fixed or floating point won't make that big of a difference. the digital data will go from one place to another with no apparent loss. it's not like an analog transfer.

yes, there are dither modules, but they are pointless in anything but the most dynamic acoustic sounds. for any pop music or electronica, dithering won't make any difference in the final product.

dither modules are in the effects/mastering menus, both stereo and mono. the point of dithering is to avoid quantization errors when downsampling. the easiest way to avoid those errors is to just use proper signal levels. for material that is VERY dynamic, that might be difficult. in that case, using dither will help keep the quietest sections from becoming too grainy. it's not a solution for bad signal handling, though.
Music Manic

Re: Master output and Dither

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks Gary