additionnal soundcard?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Interference

additionnal soundcard?

Post by Interference »

Hello guys,

Need your avices/ideas, if I buy a new computer with a new sound card to complete my Scope PCI gear on the actual computer which sound card would you recommend? I think the important thing is a sound card with adat to have the synchro with scope, I don't need any preamp as I got an external preamp. My 1st choice would have been the xite 1D but still a bit expensive...

Any idea?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/rme_digiface_ ... gJs4fD_BwE
https://www.thomann.de/fr/focusrite_sca ... nd_gen.htm (with preamp not sure something exists without @ focusrite)

Thanks!
Interference

Re: additionnal soundcard?

Post by Interference »

the rme audio babyface should be a good cheap candidate ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Why USB ?
I´d use that for laptops only, if at all.

With a desktop computer, I´d go PCIe also w/ today RME cards.
RME AiO http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_aio.php is a great card.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Interference

Post by Interference »

Thanks Bud, I agree PCIe would be the 1st choice I'll have a look.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Agreed.
My sons FL Studio PC uses the AIO. Great card.
Total Mix still sucks on MIDI though.
X 1D would be the best match but twice the price.
Interference

Post by Interference »

Thank you guys!

to help me to choose another cheaper option maybe? :)

More over you think it is possible to have the "Master machine" with Sequencer and new audio card linked in Adat to the scope system with FX and synth and use the scope routing within the sequencer? According to me all the routing can be done on the slave machine using scope than sync with adat than use the new card to control the sequencer and maybe plug other things (controler or so on the new card).I think it is but just to confirm.

2nd option with X1D on a 2nd machine we are ok the dsps are not "merged", I need to separate scope projects right?

Last question the X1D is still available for sale? I can't find it on the scope products webpage.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:43 am
X 1D would be the best match but twice the price.
As much as I love the SCOPE app and hardware,- I cannot keep quiet about "changing buffer sizes on the fly" was never possible w/ SCOPE and CW as also S|C hardware as it is w/ dedicated windows soundcards.

That´s why I prefer running SCOPE and CW-PCI or XITE DSP hardware together w/ a separate computer while the DAW w/ VST (or AU) host also runs on a separate machine.
It might sound more complex, but instead, it makes things easier.

Now, when someone usually doesn´t record more than 64 mono audio tracks,- it´d easy as pie using a WinXP 32Bit machine as the "recorder",- maybe w/ Reaper and a PCI audio card.
I use a old "pre-DSP" RME Hammerfall 9562 and it´s still enough running a bunch of native VSTs in addition even on a "outdated" P5WD2 premium or "whatever the model is" ASUS mobo offering fully functional PCI slots and an o/c Intel D945 dual core @ 3.8 GHz.
Will say, we´ll get the work done always when willing to deal w/ 356 or 512 samples buffer size !

So, when someone wants an additional soundcard for an additional machine beside the SCOPE setup, he sould be satisfied at least by some already DSP equipped RME card like the HDSP 9632 which is great and still supported w/ Win7+ drivers,- but it´s a PCI card.

I doubt great working PCIe cards will be much cheaper than the RMEs.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Interference

Post by Interference »

OK great, thanks!