Xite Zlink ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

Re: Xite Zlink ?

Post by t_tangent »

I am sure you will be fine. And Imdont think this is a widespread problem at all as we would have heard more cases otherwise. Plus the A16 Ultra is a very nice converter especially for the price, and I think you will be very happy.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I hope to receive the A16 this week... But with the snow, all deliveries are delayed ! :cry:

The Virus should arrive later : the guy didn't ship in Europe, so I had to get an american adress at NY box !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Jopo, I've used 10m (30ft) cables without issue, also (A16 ultra). So your A16 could be near all the inputs, if your scope is located in a control room. (FireWire becomes your snake!)
spacef

Post by spacef »

Why not sending the unit for repair ? it sounds like a diode or something takes time to load, may be it is faulty or can be changed ?
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Juergen does all repairs I believe.
I regretted selling mine, but got lucky with one barely used sitting in Vegas.
I never used the ZLink before.
All ins and out of it in use was pretty impressive.
petal

Post by petal »

spacef wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm Why not sending the unit for repair ? it sounds like a diode or something takes time to load, may be it is faulty or can be changed ?
I'm guessing you are referring to the "not finding the sample rate issue"?

I could do that, but I'm guessing it would be expensive shipping the unit to Germany and back again from Denmark. And even if it's just a diode or some other simple component, that needs to be exchanged, the time needed to test and fix it would also cost "a lot". So I expect that I would end up paying somewhere bewteen 25-50% of what I paid for the unit for the repair. In the end it's a matter of, how much do I really need it to work perfectly.

So in the mean time, I'm hoping someone at some point will find out exactly what is causing this issue. I'm not afraid of a soldering iron, I just don't know which component needs to be exchanged.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

To day, I received my 2 firewire cables ! :P What happiness :D !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

petal wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 pmSo in the mean time, I'm hoping someone at some point will find out exactly what is causing this issue. I'm not afraid of a soldering iron, I just don't know which component needs to be exchanged.
You could try to find electronics repair shop... I Paris, I know a shop where they are able to repair any audio unit even without construction plans. There is certainly such brilliant guys around where you live. Just make some research...
petal

Post by petal »

True, living in Copenhagen that is propably an option as well.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

The problem is that for the hypothetic guy to repair your A16, you'll have to give him your Xitte too in order for him to test if what he does works or not ! :D

You must go on holidays somewhere...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I received the A16 Ultra to fit with my 2 new firewire cables ! :roll: _ _ _ _ :D

I tested the inputs... Excellent. The outputs too, I even added my Usamo audio input to an A16 output and the result is perfect = not a single error. It seems to work better than through my luna output.
I set the A16 I/O levels to -10dBv with the littles switches, I assume it's better ... But about that point, I would be grateful if someone could tell me wich one is the best in term of signal to noise ratio... In the A16 intputs, there will be only synths. And on the output, my KRK v4 monitor or my dynaudio + its amplifier and the 2 Virus inputs. So ... -10dBv or +4dBu ?? Thanks for the advice ! (I really don't have any idea !)

As soon as Scope is running, I can see the z-link led in green. No 5 to 15mn to wait, it's sync very fast. :)

I guess your unit has an issue in its hardware system.

And ..... Apparently, the Virus arrives on monday... Eh eh eh.... :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am I received the A16 Ultra to fit with my 2 new firewire cables ! :roll: _ _ _ _ :D

I tested the inputs... Excellent. The outputs too, I even added my Usamo audio input to an A16 output and the result is perfect = not a single error. It seems to work better than through my luna output.
I set the A16 I/O levels to -10dBv with the littles switches, I assume it's better ... But about that point, I would be grateful if someone could tell me wich one is the best in term of signal to noise ratio... In the A16 intputs, there will be only synths. And on the output, my KRK v4 monitor or my dynaudio + its amplifier and the 2 Virus inputs. So ... -10dBv or +4dBu ?? Thanks for the advice ! (I really don't have any idea !)

As soon as Scope is running, I can see the z-link led in green. No 5 to 15mn to wait, it's sync very fast. :)

I guess your unit has an issue in its hardware system.

And ..... Apparently, the Virus arrives on monday... Eh eh eh.... :)
Great it works !
I understand, when the A16U is set to -10dB on channels you need for external electronic instruments (synth´s) line-outputs, that setting also rules for the outputs.
Now, when your active KRK monitors originally run best w/ +4dB studio level,- use XITE analog XLR outputs and you´re fine.
Or,- invest in an AES/EBU 2 channel I/O converter to get more channels ...
Or buy some ADAT based 8-channel AD/DA in addition ...

I myself, I´ll use A16U w/ Z-Link, a RME 8 I/O AD/DA w/ ADAT and some AES<|>SPDIF converter w/ XITE-1 soon.
Leaves 1 ADAT I/O on XITE for the SCOPE card ...
All shall run in sync via BCN wordclock.
I just only wait until the BNC wordclock issue is fixed for XITE.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

you should set the dip switches according to the gear that the i/o will be connected to. if it's consumer line level, like a synth, then you should set to -10. if it's a pro level balanced device, then set to +4. both are equally good, you just want to match levels so that the signal is not too hot or too cold to make things work properly.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

If you don't have the manual, you can download it from here by the way:
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... rchive/a16
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thank you, guys ! I'll make some test with my new synth. I already have the manual, easy to find on SC ftp.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

At which moment do you advice me to switch on the A16 ?

I'm asking because I could load the project I'm working on (Scope crashed during load) untill I switched off the A16... However, I'm not 100% sure it's a cause & effect relation.

A second question : if the A16 is on, the sync led turns green as soon as the computer is switched on, even before I see anything on the screen. I was sure it would be green only if Scope is running AND I loaded a Z-link I or O module... Isn't it surprising ? (especially after knowing that for some users, it takes up to 15 mn !)
Last edited by JoPo on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have cheap Hosa AES and SPDIF 2 Channel converters.
They work well with XITE-1.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

JoPo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 am Ot which moment do advice me to switch on the A16 ?

I'm asking because I could load the project I'm working on (Scope crashed during load) untill I switched off the A16... However, I'm not 100% sure it's a cause & effect relation.

A second question : if the A16 is on, the sync led turns green as soon as the computer is switched on, even before I see anything on the screen. I was sure it would be green only if Scope is running AND I loaded a Z-link I or O module... Isn't it surprising ? (especially after knowing that for some users, it takes up to 15 mn !)
From my own experience with the A16U it doesn't really matter whether you turn on the daw first or the A16U first. By habit I usually turn on my Xite first, then A16 U then daw. if I am not using using my external hardware then I leave A16U turned off. But generally I think only Xite needs to be turned on before turning on daw. And I think your crash is not related to the A16U and just a coincidence.

As far as the green light, yes this is correct, the green light should come on immediately. This happens on my newer A16U too and it goes green straight away. On my older A16 U it takes about 30 seconds to go green..used to take a lot longer before but for some reason it is only 30 secs now. On both my A16 U they are set to sync via z-link, see photos I put up in a previous post.

So yes I think you should be fine. Try again and just make sure your Xite project have z- link I/O modules loaded. Good luck
garyb

Post by garyb »

the green sync light should be on when the unit is set to be clock master. when it is set to slave to ADAT it should only turn green when Scope is running.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for clearing that up Gary, I was away from the A16U when I wrote my earlier post and couldnt remember exactly when the Synchronization LED changed to green. Anyway yes I just checked it now, and the newer A16U of the 2 I have is orignally red when I first turn it on, then when I turn on the daw, as that starts to boot up the led goes green. The other A16U goes green shortly after, approx 30 secs after the daw has booted up and the Scope project is running. Both the A16U are slaved via z-link. :)

Jopo, hope you can get your A16U set up and working well.
Last edited by t_tangent on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.