Is there any such Motherboard that ....

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Is there any such Motherboard that ....

Post by garyb »

had a customer complainign that he could not use more than 12 ASIO channels on a Z270......
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

garyb wrote:had a customer complainign that he could not use more than 12 ASIO channels on a Z270......

That's horrible news! Did this customer use a Asrock Motherboard (the sane as Dawman)?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no. it's an Asus STRIX Z270H
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oh Lord, I hope Im not in trouble with anyone.
Not sure if I should have actually played all of the channels and checked them.

Assumed if the project loaded the 28 Channels + 2 x 24 bit wave source modules and I could hear Omnisphere everything worked...Even expanded the module (ASIO 2) to 64 with no messages.

Why would a smaller amount work but not a larger amount?
garyb

Post by garyb »

he gets PCI overload messages, especially starting the sequencer.
sounds like your Z170 experience.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote:had a customer complainign that he could not use more than 12 ASIO channels on a Z270......
12 x Stereo ? XITE or PCI ?

6 Stereo is the max I need - most of the time less e.g. 3,4 or 5 stereo will do me.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:he gets PCI overload messages, especially starting the sequencer.
sounds like your Z170 experience.
worst case news !

:-?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

garyb wrote:no. it's an Asus STRIX Z270H
This might be a case were both users experiences are correct. The Z270 may have some brands of Motherboards that work fine and some that don't. This sure does appear to maybe be the case ATM to me. Asrocks may work and the Asus may not and if this is the case then 'all is not lost'. We'll need more investigation for sure but both users experience may be spot on regarding the respective MOBO they used usefullness. I certainly hope the Asrock working for Dawman was no lucky anomaly/Aberation but also I know strange things sometimes happen with computer related stuff. Hopefully others have the same good experience with Asrock.

I assume a XITE was used with the Asus MOBO and not PCI?
dawman

Post by dawman »

:cry:

The ASRock Z270 Pro 4/i7 7700k is now the RME AIO/FL Studio rig.
We hooked up the Stereo Tube Mic Pre with ADAT Out, and his Akai DAW Controller with USB.3.0.

Launching a sequencer should be the same as launching Bidule which is an ASIO host...

Im starting to think the more PCI 3.0 lanes that get added, the more problems we see with our ASIO drivers.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, there's an end to that.
thanks for keeping us informed.

yes, it might be brand or model, and there may be bios updates. really, the motherboard manufacturers need to be informed too, whether that makes a direct difference or not. they can't be expected to know all the things that people might want to do with their products.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I bought this for Junior and his birthday rig.
But figured I'd try Scope and Bidule before spending time building the RME AIO/ FL Studio rig.
If you mus have a Z270 get the Pro 4 as I know it works, but personally I'd stay with Z97.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Launching a sequencer should be the same as launching Bidule which is an ASIO host...
Yes,- but also depends on how many ASIO channels being connected/active,- No ?
dawman wrote: Im starting to think the more PCI 3.0 lanes that get added, the more problems we see with our ASIO drivers.
When studying chipsets, I recognized it´s up to the mobo manufacturer chosing different PCIe configurations a chipset offers.

OTOH, ASIO is ASIO,- and it´s Steinberg´s domain.

Actually I´m not aware the other "soundcard" manufacturers and driver coders have many problems w/ ASIO, Win10 and latest processors/chipsets,- RME p.ex. ...

So,- we users of Creamware/ Sonic Core PCI cards and XITE boxes, we have the problems w/ OUR ASIO drivers !

It might be the end of "realtime hardware" being connected to new generation computers for years coming since "informing mobo-manufacturers" won´t change anything.
When the majority of Lynx, RME, UAD PCIe interface, Thunderbolt- and USB2/3 interface users can work flawlessly w/ Cubase, Reason, Sonar, Studio One and w/ the computer systems available today,- this also including Apple Logic/ Mainstage & Garageband on MAC and using CoreAudio,- who cares for the minority S|C realtime-hardware users ?

I´d wish I could buy the Z97 hardware I´d want for SCOPE/XITE,- but I can´t.
It´s almost unavailable here now and I don´t buy from any dealer because of return policy and warranty problems here and there.

I´d really hate I´d have to buy used computer stuff @ebay from now on,- just to operate SCOPE/XITE.

:(

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not just a matter of how many ASIO channels. Z170 does not work with ANY number of ASIO channels.

it's about the way data is handled by the motherboard.

there's no point comparing the XITE to other soundcards. the XITE isn't a soundcard.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote:
dawman wrote:
I´d wish I could buy the Z97 hardware I´d want for SCOPE/XITE,- but I can´t.
It´s almost unavailable here now and I don´t buy from any dealer because of return policy and warranty problems here and there.

I´d really hate I´d have to buy used computer stuff @ebay from now on,- just to operate SCOPE/XITE.

:(

Bud
Bud, pm me if you want new Z97 / i7 4790 stuff.
I got a supplier who bought up warehoused parts.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:no, it's not just a matter of how many ASIO channels. Z170 does not work with ANY number of ASIO channels.

it's about the way data is handled by the motherboard.
Which data ?
What´s the difference in data handling between z170 and z270 when z270 works w/ a number of ASIO channels but not perfect and z170 doesn´t work at all ?
garyb wrote: there's no point comparing the XITE to other soundcards. the XITE isn't a soundcard.
I know that very well, but the industry doesn´t care.
They probably don´t understand the difference at all,- that´s what I recognized often when I talked about XITE to professional users of audio gear.
When the device is connected to their DAW machine via a CARD, PCI or PCIe,- and it uses an ASIO driver to connect their DAW application to that device for audio steaming,- it IS a soundcard for ´em and they will always blame the manufacturer of that device and drivers for limitations in functionality or malfunction.
That´s why I wrote it.

Means, we need (ASIO ?) drivers, at least for SCOPE/XITE, working w/ modern computer hardware, actual OS and DAW applications out there.
How that can be realized is the next question.
Maybe non-realtime when acting as a "soundcard" and realtime only when used standalone or whatever solution.

:)

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

The sad news is one of the next generation processors released later this year in the fall (Cannon Lake) still uses Socket 1151. We may not see a new Socket till 2018 or beyond :-? . Hopefully someone finds a working MOBO for that 1151 socket . Atleast we have 4790k wich is still a powerfull solution since Intel is determined to dwell on Socket 1151 .
SamT

Post by SamT »

Hey guys.

I guess I have the one who has this Asio2 problem. -> ASUS STRIX Z270H

Question.....
Is there anyone in this forum who has a working Xite-1 and i7-7700K processor?
My machine is pretty new and my dealer promised to change the motherboard if I just know which motherboard I want to replace.
Other parts I do not want to change because they are good, water cooler, GTX-1080ti, ssd, 4K Screen, etc.
And indeed, I need all 24 Asio2 channels.

Please if someone has an i7-7700K system then tell us what motherboard you are using.

Thanks Very Many.
:D
Xite-1, Doepfer Modular, Ajh, Roland, FutureRetro, StudioElectronics, Kurzweil, Pittsburg Modular, Mutable Instruments, Intellijel, Yamaha CS-30, Arturia, Cubase, Studio One, FL Studio, Blackmagic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOYPs6c8AI
dante

Post by dante »

SamT wrote:Is there anyone in this forum who has a working Xite-1 and i7-7700K processor?
If I read correctly Jimmy got it working [Windows 10 / ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 / i7 7700k] however since there may be a limit on ASIO (10 channels) and WAV driver issues with XITE the thread is now 'disregard' status.

Soooo ... if I don't need 10 ASIO and don't use WAV drivers - that config could be ok for me. (?) But I await Jimmy's Ryzen mission outcomes also.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Sounddesigner wrote:The sad news is one of the next generation processors released later this year in the fall (Cannon Lake) still uses Socket 1151. We may not see a new Socket till 2018 or beyond :-? . Hopefully someone finds a working MOBO for that 1151 socket . Atleast we have 4790k wich is still a powerfull solution since Intel is determined to dwell on Socket 1151 .
I suppose looking back Intel had socket 1151 with Z87 and then Z97, with the same technology but different marketing. Now we've got Intel socket 1151 with Z-170 and Z-270 chipset - So there will be something new but will it work with Scope.

It's good to read that Z270 is better than Z-170 for Xite and maybe the PCI cards ??? - But it does not work as well as 1150 and 4790k does it? / i5 4690k / i3 4170 ?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

fraz wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:The sad news is one of the next generation processors released later this year in the fall (Cannon Lake) still uses Socket 1151. We may not see a new Socket till 2018 or beyond :-? . Hopefully someone finds a working MOBO for that 1151 socket . Atleast we have 4790k wich is still a powerfull solution since Intel is determined to dwell on Socket 1151 .

It's good to read that Z270 is better than Z-170 for Xite and maybe the PCI cards ??? - But it does not work as well as 1150 and 4790k does it? / i5 4690k / i3 4170 ?
Z270 only works if you only need a small number of Asio channels, so no Z270 is not as good as 4790k since 4790k allows for a lot of Asio channels to be used. I'm only reporting others experience since I've never used either processor but from what I've gathered you can basically get full functionality of SCOPE with 4790k but SCOPE is VERY limited with every Motherboard tested that's on Socket 1151. This does NOT mean all the Motherboards out there for Socket 1151 are bad/limited nor does it mean the next-generation of CPU's for Socket 1151 will have the same problems but ATM things don't look good and all the recent user experiences are a bad sign. It does'nt look good for SCOPE XITE-1/D on current Socket 1151 BUT we may get lucky and surprised with 7700k or next-gen Cannon Lake from eventually finding a fully working Motherboard on the Socket 1151.

Also this problem may disappear when the next generation of Sockets is released, and I do believe we'll eventually get a new Socket that works with XITE at some point if 1151 completely fails to do so properly. And for most people including myself I'm sure 4790k is just fine. I doubt there is any significant difference between 4790k and 7700k, actually it was reported there's only a 10% performance difference, wich is nice to have but not truly significant. The biggest harm may be with new customers of Sonic Core but us older customers know what to do and should be just fine weathering this storm.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.