Clicks and pops with Cubase 8.5

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Re: Clicks and pops with Cubase 8.5

Post by fidox »

pdistefano wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:24 pm the motherboard(Gigabye GA-Z87P_D3) architecture handles the graphics
Hey !

I don't have exactly the same system configuration, but do you use on-board graphics or do you have graphic card ?
What i figured out few years ago is, that you should not use on-board graphics.
I had bad experiences with that.
I have 2 computers, both with 3 x sonic cards installed and 2 x silent graphic card.
I know , it's hard to get motherboard which has 3 x pci and enough place for graphic card, but mine cards are simple , silent and thin.
pdistefano

Post by pdistefano »

@fidox
I should have clarified I have a separate ATI Radeon silent graphics card

A few shots of my IRQ & Latencymon test result
IRQ’s
IRQ’s
C822FC50-37A7-4E78-BF93-1B9A85C64B2E.jpeg (417.5 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
CPU
CPU
80E51BC1-0B01-4C2C-9277-FEF6B5AF2DA8.jpeg (270.28 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Processes
Processes
DB1A9AFB-2E6B-4357-80E7-8ACC0BBC9780.jpeg (307.18 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Is it something to do with the USB?
Beyond my level of expertise.......doing my head in....thinking about completely scaling down my studio - maybe just a Mac & a Prism, scope retired to synth duty only.....
Or do I hang in there? Might be time to pay someone who understands this s$&t properly to build & configure me a system that is guaranteed to work...
fidox

Post by fidox »

pdistefano wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 am @fidox
Is it something to do with the USB?
I have this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atolla-Powered ... B071QZ5D7L USB 3.0 HUB,
so i'm using just 1 USB 3.0 port.

I know what you mean.
It really depends from proper configuration.
Mine 1151 chipset is very good for that job, even so, i have here and there pop or click in Cubase Artist 10.5.12, but i think more cause of all those VST plugins and i have them quite a lot.

If i run Latencymon, i can have 2 or more hours in green field and have here and there more like click while working with sequencer in realtime.

Good drivers in general (chipset drivers, graphic driver, sata drivers... )

Very sensitive area.
pdistefano

Post by pdistefano »

Thanks for your response fidox, I'm working through my options....I'm going to post my issue properly on a separate thread and see if anyone can interpret in English the technical jargon that Latencymon spits out......
USB is clearly unavoidable on these systems........I'm confused - I've read elsewhere how a USB hub these actually can be an issue - in my layman understanding wouldn't this just increase a bottleneck through the USB3 path? Is USB3 separate from usbport.sys.....I just don't understand enough about it all..........seems I'm not the only one battling the issue......
fidox

Post by fidox »

pdistefano wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:59 pm I'm confused - I've read elsewhere how a USB hub these actually can be an issue.
Could be an issue for some configurations, i think.
I have this USB hub for about a year. 7 USB sticks connected to hub (iLok, eLicenser, stick for waves serials, midi keyboard ... ).

I have attached printscreen for Latencymon, running 1 hour 30 min.
latencymon.jpg
latencymon.jpg (166.72 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
pdistefano

Post by pdistefano »

Thanks for your suggestion - looks like you have your set-up pretty well sorted
I've posted my dilemma in Problem Solving area
How much ASIO are you running in Scope?
As mine is loaded up possibly this is the issue for me
It may not be an issue for people who are totally mixing down ITB once they have recorded.
garyb

Post by garyb »

loading too many ASIO channels would trigger a PCI overflow message. that should be a lot of ASIO channels, ITB or not.
dante

Post by dante »

medway wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 am Anyone successfully using 5.1 Win 7 64bit drivers and Cubase 8.5?

8.0.3 is fine, but 8.5 (including the new 8.5.10) gives me crackles and stutters even with playing just a few audio tracks and low cpu (10%).

Have tried messing with the buffers etc... but to no avail. Just wondering if this is a global Scope driver thing or just my system.
Have you tried disabling WiFi ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not a driver issue.
fidox

Post by fidox »

pdistefano wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:27 pm How much ASIO are you running in Scope?
8-16 ASIO channels, depends.
medway

Post by medway »

dante wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:22 am
medway wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 am Anyone successfully using 5.1 Win 7 64bit drivers and Cubase 8.5?

8.0.3 is fine, but 8.5 (including the new 8.5.10) gives me crackles and stutters even with playing just a few audio tracks and low cpu (10%).

Have tried messing with the buffers etc... but to no avail. Just wondering if this is a global Scope driver thing or just my system.
Have you tried disabling WiFi ?
Old post :) After this I ran Cubase 8.5 to 10.5 fine using Scope. This weekend I start to install Win 10 as the new Cubase 11 doesn't support it (10.5 didn't either but at least you could install it, the new one locks you out).

Hopefully Scope running on Win 10 will be smooth too.
rhythmaster

Post by rhythmaster »

For information regarding clicks and pops. I had those too.
I could solve the issue almost after years. It is a power supply topic. I plugged the PC into the nearest slot to the wall socket.
I had several other devices in front of it. I also separated the power supply for XITE-1 and plugged it into another wall socket isolated from all the other cables for audio and power supply.
Somehow the PSU from the PC gets the right current supply and the right voltage now (had also issues that the amount of voltage for the MB was too low).

Now I can work without crackles and that's really nice. I have to monitor as time goes by if some clicks will reoccur.

I hope this helps somehow.
Happy New Year
Harry
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
Interference

Post by Interference »

If that can help. I used to have very quiet pops in cubase occasionally in the past and discovered after years they were generated by unwanted midi messages sent from my old midi keyboard :)
subalot

Post by subalot »

vascomusic wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm Well, I'm glad you managed to fix the problem.

I've spent 2 weeks tweaking Windows to 'fix' my clicks-n-pops problem.
In the end, it was not the Windows configuration and also not the shared USB IRQ's (which I cannot avoid in a HP XW4600 workstation), but it was the AMD ATI Radeon video card which caused the real problems. I've replaced the ATI/AMD videocard with a Nvidia GeForce FX3500 and instantly all the clicks-n-pops problems were gone. It was not a software issue, but a hardware issue.

So, my advise: if you run into troubles regarding clicks-n-pops...
Stay away from AMD/ATI video cards !
i second that! Thank you vascomusic:D

did try all the stuff your wet dreams are basically made of...From DPC spike tool to process-hacker via latencymon and SDI-Driver-Updater trough Resource-Monitor to no avail...and a lot of reading here and there of course.

Scope 5.1 & Modular 4 alone ran fine, don´t get me wrong here-it was when using Cubase 10 pops and crackle appeared to the point of no more pun twisty knobs and squelchy sounds... Especially, but not only, when powering my Non-Usb-Compliant CME-UF 7 MasterKeyboard out of convenience via USB, Latencymon complained a lot as you could imagine. Memo to myself: Avoid powering old crap like that from your DAW.

almost gave up on this machine already tbh...

my specs:
Dell t4300, Q6600 3Ghz Bsel Mod, 6GB Ram,256 GB Samsung SSD, Corsair 800w Power Supply
Dual Eizo 22"inchers,Win 7 64bit, BCR-2000,BCF-2000, CME-UF7 (64 bit win 7-driver pppleeaasse;-)
3X PCI-Cards: Pulsar+Luna+Electra
Radeon HD 5750 1gb (now gone tho hell :lol: )

Upon swapping the ATI-Radeon card for an old Geforce 285, pops and clicks went almost completely away!!!

I mean we are talking Night and Day here, gentlemen.

On the same day picking up the Nvidia card, a classified popped up: Asus h87-pro,3x PCi :wink:, 16G Corsair memory, I5-4570. could not resist.

this goes to all the artists and performers out there with an ATI-Radeon Card in their System: Get an el-cheapo Nvidia Card from your local classifieds and give this a try.
If in your special case it did not work out-at least you saved an Nvidia card from going to e-waste. remove the Fan and Cooler, pin the PCB to your wall-it actually does look somewhat decent^^

thank you vascomusic for posting the old card-swap trick here...

PS.: just stumbled upon this gearslutz-thread where the Driver-Perfomance-Settings made a difference as well-worth a shot imho:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/steinbe ... weaks.html