Scope on Haiku? Other thoughts...

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

happycritter

Scope on Haiku? Other thoughts...

Post by happycritter »

Hey folks!

Has anyone considered Haiku as a happy home for SCOPE? Since the environment doesn't use a 'Windows soundcard' then a switch should be easy. Of course, since the JUCE framework makes for 'easy' portability so how might DAW (Cubase, SONAR, Logic, etc.) get ported onto Haiku? Lastly, some have mentioned off-loading VST processes onto SCOPE DSPs but I haven't been successful finding examples of such an implementation.

Lets discuss! :D
xw8400
2.33 GHz Xeon Quad core (E5345 Socket 771) x2
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb root drive
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
XITE-1 (flipping awesome!)
happycritter

Re: Scope on Haiku? Other thoughts...

Post by happycritter »

~bump

Nobody wants to even posit a thought about this? We have some heavy-hitters as far as programming goes that are SCOPE-aholics...what say any of you?
xw8400
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I used to think Haiku was a worthy pursuit (back when it was BeOS and openBe), but I'm not sure what the advantage is today. I don't think it'd get lower latency than most systems get now, so then...?

Also, DSPs speak completely different machine code from Intel processors, so VST porting isn't really straight forward, it would have to go back to the source code at the developer, and be modified to suit the DSP platform of scope, recompile it with a new compiler, plus get a new GUI to talk with the host side of scope. Each of those is a big task.
happycritter

Post by happycritter »

jksuperstar wrote:I used to think Haiku was a worthy pursuit (back when it was BeOS and openBe), but I'm not sure what the advantage is today. I don't think it'd get lower latency than most systems get now, so then...?
The only advantages I envisioned were faster OS load times, and less muck (and 'necessary' updates) once the Haiku platform was sorted. Some of the inspiration was from the quality of RADAR audio on the old BeOS platform and a marriage with SCOPE would've been pretty interesting. :D
jksuperstar wrote:Also, DSPs speak completely different machine code from Intel processors, so VST porting isn't really straight forward, it would have to go back to the source code at the developer, and be modified to suit the DSP platform of scope, recompile it with a new compiler, plus get a new GUI to talk with the host side of scope. Each of those is a big task.
That was my hunch, but this idea surfaced in a few threads and I think now they were sloppily saying 'use SCOPE plugs' instead of 'CPU hungry VSTs'. I myself have programmed microcontrollers and know that DSPs are just bigger/badder/faster microcontrollers of a sort so I couldn't imagine the pixie dust involved in such a transition...
xw8400
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
garyb

Post by garyb »

if your windows machine is just a music production machine, and not an internet fun machine, then updates are unnecessary for the most part.