Will be scope 6 too ambitious ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: Will be scope 6 too ambitious ?

Post by dante »

babaorum wrote:Scope 6 was announced for a wile now ... :roll:

Was it not too ambitious to try rewrite all the system ? is there a serious operationnal kernel of scope6 ? is the delay due to third parties which not play the game ?

all is questions .... without response ... Sonic Core should communicate a little to tell the story if they respect their purchasers I think.
Holger can make Scope 6 whatever he wants, hes not tied down to any third party or funding scheme, and he can widen or narrow the scope of the project down to not much more than essential bug fixes if he pleases and drop Juce altogether if its causing issues.

I think it will be more than just bug fixes but it doesnt have to be overwhelmingly much more than that.
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Exactly. Problem is - if it's just mainly bug fixes there would be backlash from people - some on this forum as to why that should be a paid upgrade. So - people expect Holger to work for nothing by comparing him to a cashed up company. Notice how he didn't mention Scope 6 in his Xmas message ? That speaks volumes to me. The reason is simple - unrealistic expectations.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Fix the few bugs, that's all that's needed. They're well described. I don't think many folk here would complain to spend money on a Scope 5.2, binning the samplers, minimal bugs elsewhere, optimisations for Xite DSP allocations, maybe a new device that leveraged Xite's memory, maybe a reworking / 'recompilation' of John Bowen's devices, and working on all modern Windows variants. It would breathe life back into the platform, would grab a couple of headlines in the websites / a review or two online, and would almost certainly contribute to the potential sale of a few Xite's.

To the OP: yeah, Scope6 sounds like an ambitious rewrite for a cash-rich company. For Sonic Core as-is today, I do think it's too ambitious. If they cannot devote time to address bugs present in 5.1 (mostly on 64-bit OS's), what confidence could I have that they have the resources to get Scope6 to release quality?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
astroman

Post by astroman »

Scope is a niche and that's what keeps a small, lean company alive
it's not for the masses and doesn't have to be
the protection wouldn't withstand attacks according to current standards for even 2 days
but what for ?
noone is interested in a core that's highly specific to a physical device and useless in any other context
no revenues would ever pay back what a complete rewrite requires

the processing hardware is quite expensive, even UAD (with big names marketing) seems to suffer from this fact
or why would they constantly bundle DSP cards to preamps ?
an A7 SOC thingy is sold for 50 bucks in 1k quantities, and probably outperforms a Scope 6 DSP card
(at least that's my impression when using an iPad)
10 years ago Sharc DSPs had a definite advantage in audio algorithms, but today it's not so clear
Scope 'sounds' different ... but not necessarily 'better'... it depends...

I'd much appreciate anything that keeps Scope alive - I constantly rely on it for mixing and driving the DAW
for most of the frontend work I use an iPad these days, but Scope is still where it's all glued together
I circumvent PCI bus trouble with native reverbs from SAW Studio or Valhalla
(and recently added the Zynaptiq ZAP-bundle to the toolbox, so I'm pretty much set)

for me it's the ergonomic aspect that would offer most improvement
Scope's sound processing (in particular the capabilities of Modular) is great, but not as convenient as it could be
of course it's easy to rant if you're not in charge yourself... :D
I'm still convinced there is a way to move things into the proper direction

just stop to repeat the big mistake of the early Creamware days to pretend you can do everything...
but deliver... ;)
think colaborative, find your position in the market and don't try to be everyone's darling
noone will buy a Scope for any particular device, not even for a 100% emulation of whatever Obi, Moog or Buchla

cheers, Tom
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

dante wrote: I think it will be more than just bug fixes but it doesnt have to be overwhelmingly much more than that.
If Scope 6 simply allows an XITE to handle all of the already existing synths without ANY of the restrictions (polyphony and Solaris stuff) then I'd invest in an XITE. I understand an XITE would smoke my 3 old cards on everything else, but I don't need everything else. I do really like my Scope synths though, so I'd go for the full featured XITE if Scope 6 is able to make that happen.
happycritter

Post by happycritter »

53E7 wrote:
dante wrote: I think it will be more than just bug fixes but it doesnt have to be overwhelmingly much more than that.
If Scope 6 simply allows an XITE to handle all of the already existing synths without ANY of the restrictions (polyphony and Solaris stuff) then I'd invest in an XITE. I understand an XITE would smoke my 3 old cards on everything else, but I don't need everything else. I do really like my Scope synths though, so I'd go for the full featured XITE if Scope 6 is able to make that happen.
Perhaps the foregoing may highlight the dilemma: while I respect this desire and fully appreciate it, and concede that SCOPE is truly a synthesizer-centric platform, but as a guitarist wanting quality audio within a very flexible environment I contend that Sonic|Core should focus more on the virtual studio side of things. The faxinadu ModIV USB package illustrates perfectly that the synthesizers within SCOPE are exceedingly mature and competent.
xw8400
2.33 GHz Xeon Quad core (E5345 Socket 771) x2
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb root drive
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
XITE-1 (flipping awesome!)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

53E7 wrote:
Well, SCOPE 5.1 and XITE-1 handles all existing synths originally coming from Creamware/Sonic Core, except the STS samplers and a few tools (I think sequencers ?) when using 64Bit SCOPE.
You don´t need 64Bit SCOPE !

You cannot blame S|C for 3rd party developers not updating/upgrading products they created w/ former SDKs and/or in Creamware times.
What you bought for the PCI cards and SCOPE 3, 4 or 4.5 won´t be all transferable over to actual and future SCOPE successfully IMO.
Some developers went out of biz, others decided not to develop for SCOPE anymore.
You have the same or even more worst situation in native VST/AU too.
Devices and plugins will be discontinued always.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I still can't believe that in the design phase they decided on a solution that would not work with Solaris and other big devices. It seems like from what I've read here the XITE creators were aware of this back then. It's not like there is an abundance of synths for Scope like there are in the VST world. Scope synths are rare and every one is important, particularly the good ones. Why in the world would you make your flagship interface incompatible with one of the more highly regarded devices on your platform? I might not talk a lot here but I read Planet Z like people watch their favorite TV shows. I can't help but notice from what I've read here over the years the XITE seems to struggle in general with polyphony whether it's a modular patch or a 3rd party synth.

Look, I like Scope, been using it since 2002. I'm on Scope 5.1 and I have purchased all Sonic Core premium synths including Modular IV and every third party Scope synth that I am aware of. I want to buy an XITE at some point. Of course I'd prefer to have more power, faster loading synths, and to stop with the silly searches for motherboards, but from MY perspective, if I'm going to invest in a new interface, I need to be able to do more than I can do now, not less. I don't like to think about this, but if my cards gave out now, today I'd buy a Solaris hardware synth or one of those new MOOG synths, not an XITE. I'm just saying please resolve this. I'd greatly prefer to carry over what I have to an XITE or whatever Sonic Core happens to have when that time comes.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

53E7 wrote:I still can't believe that in the design phase they decided on a solution that would not work with Solaris and other big devices. It seems like from what I've read here the XITE creators were aware of this back then. It's not like there is an abundance of synths for Scope like there are in the VST world. Scope synths are rare and every one is important, particularly the good ones. Why in the world would you make your flagship interface incompatible with one of the more highly regarded devices on your platform? I might not talk a lot here but I read Planet Z like people watch their favorite TV shows. I can't help but notice from what I've read here over the years the XITE seems to struggle in general with polyphony whether it's a modular patch or a 3rd party synth.

Look, I like Scope, been using it since 2002. I'm on Scope 5.1 and I have purchased all Sonic Core premium synths including Modular IV and every third party Scope synth that I am aware of. I want to buy an XITE at some point. Of course I'd prefer to have more power, faster loading synths, and to stop with the silly searches for motherboards, but from MY perspective, if I'm going to invest in a new interface, I need to be able to do more than I can do now, not less. I don't like to think about this, but if my cards gave out now, today I'd buy a Solaris hardware synth or one of those new MOOG synths, not an XITE. I'm just saying please resolve this. I'd greatly prefer to carry over what I have to an XITE or whatever Sonic Core happens to have when that time comes.
Aye Sir,

The truth is Solaris can't even run properly on a 45 DSP system. It's so complex that I think the max voices I could get out of it was around 5. It's funny because just the other day I loaded a few Zarg synths (mostly monophonic) way before it hit any DSP load and Scope complained.

-Tom
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

tlaskows wrote:
Aye Sir,

The truth is Solaris can't even run properly on a 45 DSP system. It's so complex that I think the max voices I could get out of it was around 5. It's funny because just the other day I loaded a few Zarg synths (mostly monophonic) way before it hit any DSP load and Scope complained.

-Tom
That issue has been resolved

http://www.johnbowen.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=11

:D
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

53E7 wrote: ...

Why in the world would you make your flagship interface incompatible with one of the more highly regarded devices on your platform?
I´d ask the other way around since it´s proven ZARG Solaris v5, Quantum Wave & Rotor EX don´t run well not only on XITE.
Also on PCI cards you get problems.
So,- why in the world are these "highly regarded devices" for the SCOPE platform, may it be PCI or XITE ?

When John Bowen developed these devices, he never owned a XITE and he didn´t use SDK5.
When XITE-1 came and SCOPE 5, he was already busy bringing out hardware Solaris on the market and had decided since a long time to go hardware.

John is a cool guy,- when he developed his ZARG flagship synths, he probably demoed the limitations of both the systems.

In detail, the devices run a bit better on PCI cards, but not much.
This might be because they were developed on and for PCI cards and SDK 3 or 4.

The difference in XITE-1 is, it deals w/ arrays of 3 DSPs in 4 slots which is a different architecture than on a PCI card.
The hardware Solaris is a different architecture again.
53E7 wrote: ... the XITE seems to struggle in general with polyphony whether it's a modular patch or a 3rd party synth.
It seems so.
I´m not a developer and don´t own SDK, so don´t have any clue what a developer can do better or worst when coding devices.

I see that the older 60MHz DSP chips, used in XITE for hardware I/Os, ASIO, MIDI and for communication between the host computer and XITE, are slower than the 12 main DSPs.
That can be part of the reason why SAT connection errors come up often even there´s low DSP load.
53E7 wrote: ... but from MY perspective, if I'm going to invest in a new interface, I need to be able to do more than I can do now, not less. I don't like to think about this, but if my cards gave out now, today I'd buy a Solaris hardware synth or one of those new MOOG synths, not an XITE.
Well, I dunno which bugs wait for you in a hardware Solaris.
The users are very quiet and bugs and issues aren´t discussed in the public JB Sounddesign forums.
At least it has it´s limitations too,- they don´t get any multiple part "MIDI Multi Mode" out of it and deal w/ a fixed voice count of 10 voices they cannot increase up to 15 or 16 as it was planned before and so on.
It´s for sure a brilliant synth but when I spend EUR 4.500,- for a synth I expect to run several sounds on different MIDI channels out of it and route ´em thru the already existing single outputs.

Depending on your demands, it would be probably ideal to have both, XITE-1 and hardware Solaris and use both for what they do best,- or as the extreme, ignore SCOPE platform and hardware Solaris, then go native VST or buy vintage and today´s hardware gear only and just only have a simple computer based setup for recording and some editing (and mastering).

Bud
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

In my mind, the Slot idea in XITE reflects the older PCI paradigm: each slot is like a PCI card, and the older sharcs serve as the cables between cards. The optimizer doesn't seem to take this into account.

It has been said that the older 60MHz Sharcs used have more communication IO, and the new ones less. I don't think this is true, but the ratio of IO communication to core processing power is certainly lower.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

babaorum wrote:I read some posts on the link, yes it's true that waves drivers aren't ok but all use ASIO but I have a pb because when cubase is opened and I want to edit in wavelab a sound I can't in the same time I have to close cubase and open wavelab, it's really annoying, it will be very cool if Sonic could fix it. (Only input waves doesn't work , output for windows works fine !).
If this fix happen I don't really waiting for scope 6 in fact ... My old cards are ok with 5.1 in 64bits and it's fantaéstic to have that quality and usefull with 12 old years cards in audio world !!!
just for news :
I check the option to leave the ASIO for background tasks in the cubase ASIO panel and now I can open wavelab and cubase simultaneously , all with ASIO scope drivers, so I don't need wave drivers anymore ... keep alive the v5.1 64bits !! :)
Last edited by babaorum on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Are there DSP architecture in the new Soundgrid Waves Solution ? (to run every waves plugins on a hardware)
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote: In my mind, the Slot idea in XITE reflects the older PCI paradigm: each slot is like a PCI card,...
Yes, I also think that´s correct.
When I mentioned difference between PCI card and XITE,- I meant, a single PCI card has no "slots".

Now inside XITE,- each DSP trio in slots 1-4, delivers a bit more of the DSP power of a single 15 DSP SCOPE PCI card.
(15 DSP = 900MHz / 3 XITE-1 SHARCs = 999MHz)
jksuperstar wrote: ... and the older sharcs serve as the cables between cards.
Do DSP #4 - #6 that exclusively ?

Do DSP #1 & #2 ALL the hardware and software I/Os and MIDI exclusively ?

What happens when old devices like VDAT have to go to DSP#2 vs. a project not using VDAT ?
Does it mean less ASIO and Sequencer-MIDI connections possible when using VDAT ?

Which DSPs manage SCOPE´s virual cables coming from SCOPE devices (synths/FX/tools) and running to mixer devices,- except those coming fom ASIO modules ?

I´ve found out I cannot use all mixer channels/busses/auxes and main-outs available w/ a given count of devices in the SCOPE environment and some ASIO I/O already connected.
jksuperstar wrote: The optimizer doesn't seem to take this into account.
Seems so ...
jksuperstar wrote: It has been said that the older 60MHz Sharcs used have more communication IO, and the new ones less. I don't think this is true,
I also doubt it´s true.
I once read these were inside XITE also for backwards compatibility for some old devices.

When looking into hardware Solaris, there´s no "slot design" and it uses the same SHARCs than XITE throughout,- and they DO all the communication necessary across chips and for the complex "ZARG synth" based synth-engine-algorithms.

But making it work flawlessly w/ 6 of the 333MHz DSP chips, where one of these is for the FX, MIDI and I/Os only,- that required fixed voice allocation of 2 voices per 1 DSP out of 5 w/ the result of 10 voices of polyphony max..
It seems, these SHARC DSP technology has it´s limits when it comes to voice assignment routines and dynamically spreading voices across chips for more polyphony.

So, that powerfull technology is not able to do what was possible in hardware and w/ 2 very humble IBM processors in a Oberheim Matrix-12 and Xpander already in the 80s.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I can get 16 voice poly on the Minimax, Profit, and Prodessey with my Xite. That's without manual DSP allocation and not having to optimize. These synths were said to have been optimized when the Xite came out, I am not sure what Holger did to optimize them but it worked. Working out the allocation of resources on the Xite takes time and some study and some experimentation. Everything comes at a cost. People who are thinking of purchasing one in the future have to rearrange their thinking of comparing it to the PCI's on a one for one DSP usage. To those that already own an Xite and it keeps pissing them off, I would recommend you experiment with loading a blank project and load different devices and watch your DSP meter and see what it is doing. A lot of times it will not do the same thing and will load things differently based on what you load first. If you start getting SAT messages and such then sometimes it is best to back off your load by a high margin and start to load it again.
I have only reached a "maximum" DSP load on the Xite a few times but it was a combination of effects, mixers and synths. You will definitely run into SAT errors if you load up your mixer inserts because it will naturally want to load those on the same DSP as the mixer is on. What I have been more successful at is using the AUX outs and manually placing high load effects like reverbs and delays on their own DSP's. Also keep in mind what has just been mentioned here with how the slots are laid out.
All of this has been discussed at various time here and there is more technical info posted on Scoperise.(thanks to dante)
The Xite is imho the best bargain out there. No it can't do everything, it does some things really great and some things not so really great but I dare you to find a one box solution that covers so much ground for the cost than the mighty Xite-1.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote:I can get 16 voice poly on the Minimax, Profit, and Prodessey with my Xite. That's without manual DSP allocation and not having to optimize. These synths were said to have been optimized when the Xite came out, I am not sure what Holger did to optimize them but it worked.
That´s why I said XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1 works for me w/ S|C stock devices.

Only very few stock devices show (minor) issues I don´t want to discuss here but as an example, STM 2448X works better than all the other mixers when it comes to auto-DSP allocation.
But once you´ve found out what fits best, it works stable and sounds good !
yayajohn wrote: Working out the allocation of resources on the Xite takes time and some study and some experimentation. Everything comes at a cost. People who are thinking of purchasing one in the future have to rearrange their thinking of comparing it to the PCI's on a one for one DSP usage.
This !
But they also compare it to the behaviour of native DAW and VST stuff and expect the same now from realtime DSP.
IMO, these expectations are the culprit 1st place.
yayajohn wrote: To those that already own an Xite and it keeps pissing them off, I would recommend you experiment with loading a blank project and load different devices and watch your DSP meter and see what it is doing. A lot of times it will not do the same thing and will load things differently based on what you load first. If you start getting SAT messages and such then sometimes it is best to back off your load by a high margin and start to load it again.
QFT !

But,- that DSP meter doesn´t show you everything, even it helps.
I often see 100% SAT connections w/o having issues and next time I see 100% SAT connections I get warnings, depending on the project build and devices used.
So,- the DSP load itself shown you can trust, but not the column to the very right showing SAT connections in %.

It´s hard to decide what to change in a given project once error warnings come up.
Sometimes, you cannot do anything because the response of the project is so slow, you think it´s frozen already and even it isn´t.
The problem w/ the DSP meter is, it doesn´t show you which device(s) is/are allocated to which DSP once you did any manual DSP assignment and then cleared the assignment.
It also doesn´t show what´s assigned where when you did NO manual DSP assignment at all.
And once a successfully built project is re-loaded later, it doesn´t tell you what´s re-shuffled to where.

So, when you get a warning message, reporting there are no more SAT connections available between DSP #X and #Y, you´re lost because you have no idea what to remove and what to re-load to where for project optimization.

Optimizing the DSP allocation- and SAT connection meters, both giving better info (may be appearing in the warning windows text) would be a step forward.
I imagine some kind of graphic showing which device consumates what amount of DSP power and percentage of SAT connections on which DSP, p.ex. by showing the device´s name inside the graph.
Dunno how to realize, but would be cool !

Since I guess most 3rd party devices available aren´t optimized for XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1, the above would be big help using the feature of manual DSP assignment,- thus user-optimization of projects.
yayajohn wrote: I have only reached a "maximum" DSP load on the Xite a few times but it was a combination of effects, mixers and synths.
I have never reached the max. DSP on XITE-1 that way and even I created big projects w/ S|C stock devices for XITE-1.
The max. DSP was about 60 - 65%, never more.
But I was able running out of SAT connections much, much earlier and when using 3rd party devices in a project.

These were not strtikly ZARG, because the smaller ZARG synths work.
And when I say "smaller", these are still not so tiny toys,- think Ambient sc, Orion Custom sc, even Prowave and others.
yayajohn wrote: You will definitely run into SAT errors if you load up your mixer inserts because it will naturally want to load those on the same DSP as the mixer is on.
As a keyboard player and for the synth projects, I never did that because many synths come w/ their own FX.
I used the aux- sends and -returns though.
yayajohn wrote: What I have been more successful at is using the AUX outs and manually placing high load effects like reverbs and delays on their own DSP's.
This !

But nonetheless, I build projects w/ a single modular or a single big ZARG synth alone, then ran out of SAT connections even not using any insert- or aux-effect nor using a mixer at all, no ADAT or ASIO, just only XITE MIDI-In and going directly from modular or single big ZARG synth audio outputs to XITE-1 main out.
When loading p.ex. HPM control pack between output of modular/ big Zarg and XITE-1 analog out, it happened already !
yayajohn wrote: Also keep in mind what has just been mentioned here with how the slots are laid out.
All of this has been discussed at various time here and there is more technical info posted on Scoperise.(thanks to dante)
I do that all the time and from the very beginning since I own XITE.
Before I used it and because I were at PlanetZ before I bought XITE and as an owner of a 15DSP PCI card too, I investigated for optimized DSP assignment.
I have a shortcut to that DSP layout pic in my taskbar, so when building projects, I have a look at it when in need.
yayajohn wrote: The Xite is imho the best bargain out there. No it can't do everything, it does some things really great and some things not so really great but I dare you to find a one box solution that covers so much ground for the cost than the mighty Xite-1.
I agree !
And I´d say: XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1 can do almost everything advertised, but not everything SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Anyway, the biggest issue for me is the reliable and permanent storage of MIDI presets/ MIDI CC assignments for any device used in a project.
If that would be fixed one day, that would be a big step forward for me.

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hubird

Post by hubird »

+1
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud i would agree with all that you replied. Better tools of DSP allocation would be greatly appreciated and with the midi cc preset thing I would go one step further and hope that the entire Scope midi gets a tune-up. There is too much much inconsistency with the midi in and out. Of course there are factors involved outside of Scope.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am the only guy who loves XITE1 the way it is.

I thought about replacing it and concluded this.

RME Digiface
Crest XRM 20
4 x TC Fireworx
MIDI Patch Bay / Bome Translator

5500 USD is just too damn high....