Windows 7 64bit - any incompatible devices?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

Windows 7 64bit - any incompatible devices?

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Hi peeps! :wink: I am looking at updating my OS from Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit. Yes, I know it's taken me a few years longer than most, but my setup is perfect except for one major problem.......my only limiting factor is RAM which I run out of before I even hit 40% CPU usage in Reaper. I am using 2 Powercore cards, 1UAD Quad card, 2 Nvidia graphics cards and the 2 Scope Pro cards. Using these cards with Windows XP 32 bit seriously restricts how much RAM I can access (the 3.25 GB limit, the "2GB per application limit" - Reaper has options to help out, cards eating away at the address space...).

Have spent thousands on Scope plugins and am wondering if they would work if I updated to Windows 7 64bit. Done some searching and there doesn't seem to be a lot of problems with devices running on Windows 7 64bit with Scope V5. Currently using Scope V4.5 .

Are there any devices that won't work on Windows 7 64bit with Scope V5 or V5.1 that would run on a Scope Pro V4.5 XP 32bit setup? I never use XTC mode.
garyb

Re: Windows 7 64bit - any incompatible devices?

Post by garyb »

mainly STS samplers, XTC mode and Z-Matrix won't work.
anything using a sample player and some older arpeggiators won't be happy either.

most everything else should work as always.
petal

Post by petal »

The sequencers (SB404, Modular, zarg synths) wont work either I believe.
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Thanks for the info. Don't use the samplers or XTC mode so no problem there for me. Favourites are probably the Wavelength stuff, Inferno, U KNOW 007 and Synchrotron. Might reduce the possibilites if Synchrotron's step sequencer doesn't work but if the vast majority of devices are OK I will be very happy :D .
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

There's also OSIRIS that needs a 32-bit Windows.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

petal wrote:The sequencers (SB404, Modular, zarg synths) wont work either I believe.
I believe most Zarg stuff works fine. Never had a major issue. But I still haven't tried all of them, I think I have 8 of them. Solaris 5 works fine, but you won't get more than 5 voices of polyphony (even on PCI). I really didn't spend much time digging into it too deep. I don't like too many choices. I get confused easily.

The sequencer on the SB404 partially works. For some reason the filter sliders on the sequencer do nothing. Not a deal breaker for me.

Have not tried the sequencer in Modular IV.

-Tom
spacef

Post by spacef »

LBH LE Sequencer works perfectly too. May be the 8 vu meters that follow the 32 steps sequence suffers a bit of latency though (as I could notice in an attempt to transplant the 442 sequencer into a new device (that I may not finish though, just some tests and R&D - don't hold your breath on that).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

I've got an XITE-1 on it's way (w00t!) so this topic is important to me as well as I'm on Windows 10 64 bit. I don't care about samplers, but it would be nice to know the issues and limitations. I wish Scope would be more forthcoming with this information.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

You will be a happy man very soon!

You have this place to help you out...

-Tom
pranza

Post by pranza »

i'll try to make long story short.

with 64bit Scope 5.1 you loose windows wdm recording devices (always junk noise at the input);
osiris xp is also incompatible and algorithmix won't release a 64bit version;
z-matrix doesn't work;

if using windows 8.1 — be aware not to install KB2919355 “April 2014” update. It would spoil many things: samplers would blue screen on load, vdat would be unreliable and blue screen, many things would go wrong and at least work slower.

Don't use Windows 10. It apparently has this KB2919355 induced fuck-up built in and it can't be removed (or maybe can, we just need to know what particular changes in KB2919355 induce crashes - maybe we could use some .sys or .dll files from older windows).

Also, Scope audio drivers seem to be click-prone. No matter Xite or PCI, wave (wdm wasapi whatever) drivers tend to randomly clik here and there. Scope ASIO drivers seem to be better. Maybe my all systems are unlucky, but at lowest ULLI setting ASIO is unusable.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Are you having clicking on Win7 x64? I am running lowest latency with PCI cards and no clicks...

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

pranza wrote: if using windows 8.1 — be aware not to install KB2919355 “April 2014” update. It would spoil many things: samplers would blue screen on load, vdat would be unreliable and blue screen, many things would go wrong and at least work slower. Don't use Windows 10. It apparently has this KB2919355 induced fuck-up built in and it can't be removed (or maybe can, we just need to know what particular changes in KB2919355 induce crashes - maybe we could use some .sys or .dll files from older windows).
Interesting to note. It means Ill need to continue to use MasterIT Lite when going to Windows 10.
pranza

Post by pranza »

Hi, tlaskows!

I never had win7 on my 'big' pc. back in the days it was pentium iv ht with winxp (rme digi worked steady there and scope was problematic) and now it's kind of windows 8.1.
I'm able to be more or less click-free on second lowest ulli setting here. Test's the following:
Celmo's reverb tester gives a constant sine, i send it out from Scope to other card via adat, then get back through other adat input, and connect it to asio in in Scope, and record in Wavelab for a few hours. It's very easy to find glitches via "audio error detection and correction" — shift+R in Wavelab 6. In that window click 'detect next error' and see if there is any irregularities in sine. If this signal routing in and out of Scope card seems too much, you can just do celmo reverb tester (it's free) -> Scope asio input. It still goes through Scope driver and is prone to clicks.
So in that configuration - next smallest buffer size, Wavelab 6, affinity to cpu0, wavelab-app.exe priority set to realtime, i'm able to get about three hours click-free sine. Wavelab 6 is old, i noticed it uses just one cpu anyway, so that's why affinity to single cpu.

I do this kind of test, because with some music it's easy to miss clicks. Check yourself, maybe those clicks go unnoticed.

The only 100% reliable recording / playback Scope solution for me is VDAT. The only way to make it click is to tax hard drive so bad, that it can't read fast enough. WDM is flawed and ASIO is on the edge, but that again might be just my system. I'm still wondering how to force scscope.sys priority in windows that it's higher than networking and video, but Bill Gates through his life didn't manage to make or make his engineers make this feature into windows. My commodore64 is lower latency than big pc and never clicks. 1983-2003-2013... how many more years will have to pass, it doesn't seem that even in 2023 we'll have a solution.

On the other hand, my Pentium 3 500 Dell CPX laptop with ess maestro 2 onboard sound and no asio can't be made to click even with MME. You can have hardly responding web browser with some heavy webpages that is too much for that pc, but audio never clicks! That same pc with external TC Electronic Konnekt card and asio works like shit though. But not so with MOTU. So it's something about drivers for sure too.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Cool,

I can try it later. I only bought a C64 a long time ago at a thrift store for a dollar to pull out the SID :lol:

-Tom
pranza

Post by pranza »

ohh, sid is fine sitting in c=64 here, i'm using this cartridge to play http://www.mssiah.com/
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

That's cool! Haha.

Mine is gonna be one of these:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_v1.html

-Tom
pranza

Post by pranza »

tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hey,

That looks interesting. Can you open another topic on how to do this and what software to use in off topic? I am interesting in testing my system.

Cheers,

-Tom
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

Pranza,

Are you hearing the clicks while monitoring in Scope, or are they only turning up in your recordings?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

That looks really interesting, there's no drop out of signal, the sine completely looses sync with the word clock/sample rate.

Have you run LatencyMon to check for other drivers/processes that are stalling your audio processes?
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon