pulsar 2 midi in not working

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

firubbi

pulsar 2 midi in not working

Post by firubbi »

hello
i want to play scope synth from another pc so i connect "IconnectivityMidi4+" din midi out to pulsar midi in. but not getting any midi data :( the midi out is working fine (if i connect a usb keyboard and select it from DAW and midi out to another pc/keyboard) plus rest of the pulsar2 fx/io is working great.

pulsar2 MIDI A source out: is the midi in... Right? ... maybe something silly mistake im doing :(

can anyone guess what could be the problem?

win xp - 4gbrm - Sonar x1

thanks
Attachments
midi in pulsar 2.jpg
midi in pulsar 2.jpg (287.47 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
sunmachine

Re: pulsar 2 midi in not working

Post by sunmachine »

So your setup is something like this?
- PC1 is connected to the iConnectMIDI via USB
- iConnectMIDI is connected to Pulsar via MIDI DIN
- Pulsar is installed in the second PC2 (that is not connected to the iConnectMIDI via USB?)
- Sonar is running on PC2

And now you want to play a Scope synth from PC1, right?
Did you check the routing in the iConnectMIDI Config Application (from PC1 to Pulsar)?

And you want to record the MIDI data in Sonar on PC2?
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

hi sunmachine
i want to record midi data on 2nd pc (RME) and play few ch from 1st pc (pulsar synth) and few from Roland module.
IconnectivityMidi4+ is the in between midi splitter box.
simple setup:

RME midi out to IconnectivityMidi4+ midi in (all din)

IconnectivityMidi4+ midi out1>pulsar midi in = not getting any signal
IconnectivityMidi4+ midi out2>Roland Module = working

strange is pulsar 2 midi out is working perfectly... :( im i missing something... is there other way to check if the midi IN is ok

thanks
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

To check if the Pulsar MIDI in is working properly you can simply connect a MIDI keyboard to it. Or connect the RME directly to it without the iConnectMIDI in between.

Did you already check the routing in the iConnectMIDI?
If the RME output and the Pulsar input are connected to the *same* MIDI port of the iConnectMIDI, then Pulsar will not receive MIDI data from the RME because the default setting is that the MIDI in data is not send to the MIDI output of the same port. It is send to the output of the other ports, though. So you'll have to change the routing in the iConnectMIDI Configuration application or connect the Pulsar to another port to make it work.
garyb

Post by garyb »

to test midi in,

connect anything that outputs midi to the midi in connector on the cable whip.
put a midi source module(Luna, Pulsar or Scope, etc depending on the card) in the routing window.
from the Scope midi menu, get a midi monitor and put it in the routing window.
connect to midi source module top the midi monitor and open the midi monitor.
send midi from the device connected to the cable whip's midi in.

look at the midi monitor while transmitting midi. you should see stuff(note on, note off, velocity, active sensing, midi clock, etc) happening in the midi monitor's window.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

thanks sunmachine & garyb...

whatever i do (note on/of, pitch change, modulation change... ) all it receive program change message!
please see the pic.
Attachments
prog change.JPG
prog change.JPG (238.43 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

That seems a bit strange. It looks like midi is working but maybe there is a setting on the hardware that is outputting midi that is ony allowing program change. At least there is some signal. Also is the Pulsar 2 cable whip still in good condition or colud that be causing some problem Two things to try next then.

1. Try using another midi hardware to output midi signal, for example do you have a simple midi keyboard that you can connect directly to the Pulsar 2 midi in.

2.Check the actual midi cable or try using another cable just to check if the same thing is happening.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, i would say that the problem is in the unit sending midi to the card. it's obvious that midi is working.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

garyb youre right. midi in connector is a bit loose :( i press it hard and it start working.. im afraid it will come up anytime :(
you guys are expert on scope cards... does a electrician can replace the connector with a proper midi socket :-?
thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, sure, it should be easy to replace. i'd wait to see if keeping it fully pressed in helps...
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

hi garyb
strange is pulsar 2 midi in works correctly if i connect directly from RME midi out or from MIDI Thru from my Roland JV2080! but not from IconnectivityMidi4+ !!! that means IconnectivityMidi4+ doing something that pulsar getting it wrong.