What computer to run SCOPE on?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paugui

What computer to run SCOPE on?

Post by paugui »

Hi all

I just noticed the fantastic promotion to get SCOPE 5.1 plus some software for 118€ and was thinking I should just go for it.

The problem is that my original plan was to run my Pulsars on an old PowerMac G4, but since I have never used OS9 and don't have much time available to focus on the studio, that plan hasn't been fulfilled yet.

I'd guess SCOPE 5.1 would be much nicer than 4.5, but unfortunately I don't have any computer available to run it, and am not sure how expensive that would cost me as well...

Since the Pulsar cards have their own DSP, do I have to care much about the specs in the computer in which I intend to use them?
I want to use it as an independent synth, so no need to run the DAW on it as well or other programs (don't think I'd do more than some random internet checking as well).
Can I just get a cheap computer to run it without noticing any significant drawbacks from sparing some cash?

Thanks in advance,
All the best

Paulo
garyb

Re: What computer to run SCOPE on?

Post by garyb »

yep, something cheap is fine.

just avoid socket 1155 motherboards and you should be ok.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Let's put it this way - the Scope platform has been running on computer hardware from the last century!
I believe that one of my Scope cards is dated 1999 (?) ;-)

So a old-ish second-hand PC ought to do OK, so long as you heed Gary's advice, and have a look thru this forum for similar posts.
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
garyb

Post by garyb »

old Via chipsets are out! :lol:
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yep, something cheap is fine.

just avoid socket 1155 motherboards and you should be ok.
Whats wrong with 1155 MOBO's - I've got a PC with one-Asus with a 3770k- Not hooked up to Xite-1 or PCI cards but it might be - They do work don't they..... :o
garyb

Post by garyb »

not with PCI cards...fine for the XITE.
paugui

Post by paugui »

Thank you all for your nice replies ;)

I am curious on something else as well...
What plug-ins are exactly included with Scope v5.1 and how does it compare with Scope v4.5 (the one that Sonic Core gives the codes for, as I got mine second hand)?

I have barely used my cards, just tried it out once and could notice the synths sound really nice and it seems a very powerful system.
But since I've barely used them, I'm not 100% sure it would be really worth getting this upgrade...
I know that when compared with the regular price, it is a fantastic price, which is why I'm really tempted, but am still a bit unsure...

If you guys could point out why I really should upgrade, it would be great as well ;)
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

The current bundle offer is actually a no-brainer, especially for owners of 4.5.
(Even if you'd be only after Prodyssey or ProTone, it would still be a great bargain.)

Apart from additional plug-ins you'll get support for Windows 7/8, 32/64-bit!

So these are the plug-ins included in 5.1:

Mixing: Several mixing desks with up to 96 input channels
STM2448, STM4896, STM 48 S, STM 1632, STM 16 S, Dynamic Mixer, Micromixer, Channel, Meterbridge, ControlRoom

Mastering: Loudness control , tone control
Optimaster (Multiband Limiter), PSY Q (Psychoacoustic Equalizer), Vinco (High End-Compressor), Dither Shaper, Stereo Expander, Softclip, Spectral Balance Control

Hall-Effects: Spatial acoustics for different applications
SC Plate reverb, SC Ambience reverb, SC Inverse reverb, MasterVerb Pro, MasterVerb, MasterVerb Classic, Early Reflector

Dynamics: Dynamic effects
Compressor, Limiter, Gate, Expander

Filter:
GraphEQ, Parametric EQ, 4-Pole Filter, High Cut Filter, Low Cut Filter, DC Filter, MIDIPole Filter

Modulation effects: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay
4-Tap Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Hexa Chorus, Master Chorus, SC Chorus Delay Harmonic Flanger, Master Flanger, Space Flanger, Random Flanger, Step Flanger SSB Phaser, SSB Modulator, SSB Mod Delay Ducking Delay, Pattern Delay, Multi Tap Delay, Delay LCR, Delay Long, Dual Delay Long Interpole, AutoPan, AutoWah, Tremolo, MIDI Tremolo

SpecialFX:
Ringmodulator, Vocodizer, AuxRack, MultiFX, Deesser, Ducker, Vocoder III, Pitchshifter, Distortion, Overdrive, Tube Drive, TQ Drive, Resonator

Instruments: Synthesizer and Sampler, Sampleplayer, Modularpatches, Arpegiator, Minimax, Profit 5, B2003, Modular 2, Modular III, Vectron, Lightwave, Prisma, SB404, Poison, EDS 16i, EDS 8i, BlueSynth, EZSynth, miniscope, U KNOW 007, Vectron Player, Inferno, Arpeg01, STS-2000P, STS-3000, STS-4000, STS-5000

Recording: Multitrack recorder with up to 48 tracks
VDAT, VRC 128, VRC S
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:not with PCI cards...fine for the XITE.
1155 MOBO's - What is the problem?-

My PCI cards are in socket 775-but if or when the X64 and Scope 6 arrive I may put them into an LGA 2011 MOBO-but I was thinking about the 1155 until you mentioned it doesn't work-

Glad to hear Xite-1 will be OK with 1155-

Is LGA 2011 OK with PCI cards?
garyb

Post by garyb »

i haven't seen problems with the XEONs.

the problem with the 1155s is that they are the first motherboards after PCI was made obsolete. the PCI controllers that are on those motherboards don't seem to work properly. the next generation socket 1150 seems to work great.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Not even my Asus q77 board with native PCI works properly with Scope. We are talking Via Apollo bad ....
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

DAS also gave Sonic Core a couple processors to put in the 5.0/5.1 SCOPE Platform upgrade. There is RMX 160 reverb emulation and a SSL channel strip emulation.
paugui

Post by paugui »

If I go for this offer, it will have to be registered to one of my Creamware Pulsar cards, right?

I currently have 2 Pulsar II cards and a Pulsar SRB.
With this system and the update for Scope 5.1, will I find myself wanting to upgrade my cards, or the 18 DSPs I get in total should be more than fine?

This is also something I'm wondering, as I'm not sure if I should just register the update for one of the Pulsar II or the SRB... but like the Pulsar II would be the best choice, no?

Thanks in advance,

Paulo
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, a Pulsar2 would be the best choice, i think.

18 dsps isn't a LOT, but it should be more than enough to do a heck of a lot of cool things.
paugui

Post by paugui »

I have decided in going for the update, but since i haven't really tested my cards in depth, I was really wondering if I have to register the upgrade to a card already?

I am planning on getting a new computer to use them (wanted to test them today in a computer I have here, but it seems the computer is having some problems, so I ended up not being able to do that) and after being sure they all work as they should, I would just assign the upgrade to one of the cards.
I hope all are working as they should, but if there is a problem with one of them and I assign the upgrade to it, I guess it would end up being useless, right?

Anyone knows if it would be possible?

If not, should I send an email now to Sonic Core explaining that?
Would they likely be nice and consider that price still if I send the email before the promotion is over?

Thanks in advance,
All the best

Paulo
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can purchase the upgrade now, and give the serial number later. you won't get keys to the software until you give the serial number, keys belong to the card's serial number, not the user/owner. or-

you can just choose a card and if that card turns out to be broken, you can send the card to SC and get the keys transferred to another card.

there's no registration involved...
paugui

Post by paugui »

Ok, that's cool :)

I think I'll just get it now then :)

Thanks a lot for letting me know ;)
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:i haven't seen problems with the XEONs.

the problem with the 1155s is that they are the first motherboards after PCI was made obsolete. the PCI controllers that are on those motherboards don't seem to work properly. the next generation socket 1150 seems to work great.
OK-The LGA 2011 with the Intel 3930k-[This isn't a Xeon]-Would these work with the PCI cards?-
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, i don't know for sure.
probably...
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK I'm thinking about a backup PC for my PCI cards- PCI slots are getting rare-

Socket 1150 (Haswell)-[where do they get these names from :) ]-Who has tried this with the Creamware | S|C PCI cards-?-

I wouldn't want to put a PC together then the PCI cards don't work-I found a Motherboard or two+ with 3 PCI slots on and it seems like a good idea in case my 4 U Rack PC socket 775 gives up the ghost-

The thinking would be a 32 bit Windows 7 or XP computer [unless S|C release Scope 6 or fix bugs in 5.x]-

I may try the LGA 2011 [that Gary B suggested]-but on the face of it the socket 1150 [haswell] seems to have more PCI slots on its motherboards than LGA 2011-
Last edited by fraz on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.