Asio Position Protocol on Scope?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lagoausente

Asio Position Protocol on Scope?

Post by lagoausente »

Hello everybody, I have a 6 dsp card with scope 5.0. I also have a AW4416 and a hardware sequencer QY700.
I sync the AW4416 to the QY700 and it´s reliable, but I´m thinking about doing the same with the pc but I don´t trust much on midi precision on Pcs, so I looking for alternatives.
There is the Innerclock Sync-gen option that seems quite expensive, but seems to get out reliable MTC clock.
On the other hand have thought about Asio position protocol. Don´t know if Scope supports this or really how its works.
Could I record a smpte track on the AW4416 and use it to control Cubase through Scope drivers with rock solid timing? Any other idea do sync the AW4416 with the pc not without using the midi drivers that often have jitter?
Thanks in advance.
mausmuso

Re: Asio Position Protocol on Scope?

Post by mausmuso »

I have used the ASIO clock out in SCOPE to control the transport in Samplitude.
It does not work with Cubase or Reaper at the moment.
Not sure how accurate the timing is.
I had no issues but was not doing a lot of MIDI at the time.
Also not sure if you want to sync into SCOPE or out of SCOPE
I have not played with ASIO Clock into SCOPE
maus
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

mm, I was trying it with cubase, using VRC and Vdat in Scope 5.0. When touch locate, cubase goes to position but doesn´t obey stop, play etc.
So I guess, this happened also with Scope 4.0? Or is a bug on the actual version of Scope? I suppose that is not Cubase bug itself or it is?
I want to sync Cubase (or other soft) using APP to the external AW4416 and the QY700 both receive MTC, so VRC should send out MTC to that machines and sync with the pc through Asio 2 App.
Thanks in advance.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Update,
It works fine with Cubase SX2 and Sx3, have tested it yesterday at night, not works with Cubase 5.
Have to load also Vdat, link both VRC-S and Vdat with clk out/in, and use Asio 2 device on Scope, send from clko to clki of Asio and voila, it syncs perfectly on Sx2 and Sx3.
As the VRC-S manual tells, it allows to send out MTC clock. Since what is done is a Asio sampler accurate sync to MTC out and it´s done on Dsps, it 99% probably the will no have the windows midi timing jitter. It so, it means that do the same job like do the Sync-gen II device for example and allows to sync Sx2,Sx3 perfectly with hardware machines without midi timing problems.

Edit: VRC doesn´t send nothing on Mout, the manual say this module output sends out MTC clock that can be used for external hardware or internal sequencer but on 5.0 doesn´t send nothing.
I´ll check with earlier versions soon, I assume at some time on the past it should must work.
From now, have checked slaving to MTC using the midi driver, external QY700 sequencer slaved to cubase gives around 10ms random jitter.
Using the AW4416 in as master and cubase slaved, re-recording same audio from the AW4416 to cubase on diferent tracks, it results on 2-4 ms of position variations of the same track recorded diferent times, not much but that´s audio, should be more accurate.
Realize that on previous tests, slaving the hardware Qy700 sequencer to the AW4416 with MTC, it gived a max of 1ms of jitter, whats really tight.
Using the Aw4416 in the middle of cubase and QY700, the AW4416 as master of both if gived 2 ms, but some times 4 ms of drift on the audio recorded in cubase.
So still trying and testing the VRC-S on previous versions to find out if worked before it´s worth, considering the price of Sync-Gen II.

There is another tool on Scope, MTC to clk converter, this module doesn´t work fine, receives ok MTC but cubase starts but no stop, same as did Cubase 5 with VRC-S, so in general not all new things work better, sometimes have to go backwards.
Will keep updated my tests.