Best "modern" PC for old PCI cards

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bigovum

Best "modern" PC for old PCI cards

Post by bigovum »

Hi Guys,

I've recently rediscovered my old (bought it in 98/99 I think, I've still got the floppies) Pulsar and SRB cards. I was thinking of selling them and then memories of the Minimax and Modular started to flood back, not to mention the Timeworks mastering compressor... Oh and the Saturn... :)

Anyway... What's a good cheap PC that will work well with them these days? I don't mind upgrading to 5.1 if I have to. I remember there used to be a lot of problems with PCI overloads (or something similar), I had my system running like a dream back in the day... I have no idea now as I run Macs these days.

I'd probably use the PC with Pulsars as a Synth/FX box.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.
jhulk

Re: Best "modern" PC for old PCI cards

Post by jhulk »

most pre pcie comps work

xp32 is the best os for it

5.1 is a must as you get lots of extra goodies

modular is the bomb on this machine anything is possible with your imagination

i use one of these very fast

need to turn off hyper threading

i use one of these

and i have 1 dual ide to cf card adapters with 2 32gb fast cf cards

i for os only

the other for plugs

very quiet like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260755908911? ... 1423.l2649

i upgraded one of my p4 scope systems with this comp very cheap and super fast
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

Hi
I just wanted to show you this thread
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 50#p288950
,because we use Vista with this motherboard,
and Gary helped us here in Bios in order to have a PCI 45 dsp + Xite 1 working like a dream.
We also are using two Wavelab in the same time here , for mastering also in the PCI.
Thats still not possible in W7.
Best Regards
Bear
timstoel

Post by timstoel »

Lately I have been liking the HP XW6600 workstation. It isn't the most "modern" but it is very powerful and has 2 PCI slots. They can be had for about $250 used. They are a very quiet machine, you can load up tons of RAM, quad core Xeons. It's a great system for running all sorts of things.

Tim
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, i haver an xw4400 and it's great. it will run 3 cards, can be had for $150 on ebay and often comes with a 4 head quadro video card, which is worth the $150 by itself. it's only core2 duo, but that's plenty of power for most users.

basically, almost all the newer computers work well with PCI cards, assuming available slots, EXCEPT socket 1155 systems.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

For good pci Performance and a up to date cpu use amd.95% of the new amd boards have native pci.Several newish intel boards do too but you have to really look for it.With amd its a no brainer.For scope pci systems amd actually is a very good option....who would have thought. :lol:
bigovum

Post by bigovum »

Great. Thanks. For me quietness is really important. The old hp's seem to have a good consensus.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

Pardon me, how can I understand if a mainboard has native PCI support or not?
Do I have to look for a certain chipset presence?
thanks.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

http://www.techspot.com/guides/519-inte ... page2.html

In the present series of Intel chipsets, the B and Q models have native PCI support.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

Ok, thanks.
Sorry, perhaps I should have written different... oops! :D
I meant whatever 3rd party chipset added on mainboard to give support to PCI,
where there are chipset like Z77 that have not PCI native support but the PCI-e bridge thing.
That's what I want to learn how to recognize.

I already kenw that Z and H chipsets don't give native support to PCI.

PS: really? I mean what you wrote in your signature?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

That is an old signature. Things might have changed - or they might not. I didn't write it for nothing back then, though.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

Fluxpod wrote:For good pci Performance and a up to date cpu use amd.95% of the new amd boards have native pci.Several newish intel boards do too but you have to really look for it.With amd its a no brainer.For scope pci systems amd actually is a very good option....who would have thought. :lol:
and are you able to name any?
I mean the Intel ones.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Polarity wrote:
Fluxpod wrote:For good pci Performance and a up to date cpu use amd.95% of the new amd boards have native pci.Several newish intel boards do too but you have to really look for it.With amd its a no brainer.For scope pci systems amd actually is a very good option....who would have thought. :lol:
and are you able to name any?
I mean the Intel ones.
Sorry but nope.I dont own any scope hw any more and my Rme pci card does not care for native pci+ i run a 775 Board.Its a Asus P5q pro Turbo.I use it with a Q9550 with 12 mb cache 8 gb Kingston ddr2 ram in Interleaved mode (4x 2 gb) and a gtx 660 with 2 gb ram.It works perfekt even on sacd projekts @ 96K Which are few but happening...
I had 2 Scope pro in it at omce and i could load 17 Mw till pci error and i could go to 99% dsp meter which no errors.I only sold the scope system because of scope 6 and the "maybe" no longer support for them.Good luck tho.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

because of Scope 6?