Vectron Synth

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Vectron Synth

Post by dawman »

http://forums.planetz.com/download/file.php?id=8877

Maybe in here........
Than ks to JHulk and Nect To Nothing.

Ankyu.....
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

New revision added :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dante

Post by dante »

next to nothing wrote:Basically it is right, yes :)

However most of the magic is done in the ProgOsc Section when it comes to sound design after the presets are loaded as you show here. You will need to select the wave from the dropdown menu within ProgOsc. When you select waves within wavecreate, you can morph between up to 4 waves (as you show) to create a new waveform that can be saved in a new user slot.
Ok cool this will make an important tutorial step thanks, Ill try that next.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Dante, don't forget to index the presets, even if they're 1 per Bank... :wink:
Ok do you mean change the name of 'fairlight_w01' to '01_fairlight_w01' ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Right click on the -1 bank number for auto, then it removes the minus and can be recalled via MIDI Prgm Chng messages.

Ankyu
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

https://rapidshare.com/files/241060959/d50_rom_dump.7z

here it is again just in case its been taken down
next to nothing

dante wrote:
next to nothing wrote:
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Dante, don't forget to index the presets, even if they're 1 per Bank... :wink:
Ok do you mean change the name of 'fairlight_w01' to '01_fairlight_w01' ?
Its my bad, but it has been adressed in the latest revision. I also see i have missed a couple of waves, Ill fix that in the next revision (when i add more of these lovely waves:) )
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote: here it is again just in case its been taken down
Wow !
Thank you !
:)

Bud
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Wow, how long has this device been around?
And now it has a 2nd or 3rd life!

Another feather in Scope's hat.

Worth promoting to the masses, eh?

(It sounds great layered under MIDI guitar).

Greg
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

this is the next wavetables

history

ppg wt13 clipper is from the ppg

formant saw/square/tri are from my kawai k5000 they are saw square and tri waveforms being

sent through the formant filter which has one of my filter drawings on it on each wavefrom

then they are being modulated by lfo to sweep the formant filter through the formant drawn filter

the wavetrip jml wt01 is from my uwave with a wavetable using my spectra and upaw which is like fm but in wavetable synthesis

then theres the full wavetrip sample for any one who wants to try it in there ensoniq eps16+/asr10/ts10/12/asrxpro synths

or emu ultra samplers the key i set it to is f5-24 cents

enjoy

if any one wants one of there samples made into a wavetable just post a link to them here in f3-24 cents but f3 will be fine no fx on the sample as that blurs the spectrum so that you dont get good picture of the actual sample fm patches basses lead sounds are good candidates

peace enjoy

https://rapidshare.com/files/3831687263 ... vetbles.7z
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Jhulk, many thanks for all these wave tables, it's an amazing collection.

do you have any specific for bass. I'm finding the 128 table length a little short for getting down to 30hz, and am curious what tricks you might use to reduce the extra aliasing due to stepping that occurs when getting that low. I was almost about to try a high frequency LFO to toggle between two samples and fit more samples in essence, but the LFO only goes to 400hz I believe.

my next try will be to add an octave to midi for the vectron, mix in a fundamental sine oscillator, and blend them with the Harmonic Effects bundle from G.O.S.T.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

what are you using the samples in if you are using them other than vectron

as it does not matter what size you use in vectron they get made into 128 samples 12bit spectra by the synth its self if you want

multisamples of the spectra for bass end then i can make those but they will be no good in vectron as it will make them 128 sample files

in my asr10 i dont get aliasing when down sampling only when upsampling the transpose engine and they have 8x delta sigma oversampling dacs

and its alright to add sin osc at 30hz to give the bass end a thickining up

what i would do is use a flexor 3 sub osc which dirives its output from an audio signal and outputs its audio 1 octave lower

or if you are using just vectron set 1 osc to -24 lower than the rest to add bass frequencies sin or tri or square wave would be good for this as they have low fundemental frequencies with less highe frequencie content which can alias in the upper note range but if your doing just bass then dont see the point going above c4
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I was trying to see how Vectron could pull off bass. And it's the 128 samples length that is the gotcha...stretching that 128 samples over 3ms is a pretty big stretch, and I think it's too much for the interpolation algorithm. So that's when I mixed the vectron into a ModIV patch where I add the subosc.

Maybe I'd simply be better off with another synth (or just Modular), but I thought I'd work through the limitations and see if it could be done anyways.

It's not so bad when thrown into distortion, as there's a few extra harmonics to play with already there. But I haven't found a decent bottom end with Vectron yet. Lead sounds are lush & full with plenty of grit, a great compliment to the smoother Korg DSS-1 I have, I was just curious if the Vectron could get down deep and then I could take advantage of it's modulation possibilities. I had the same problem with my analog DSI Evolver, but I guess that's expected, they are both based on the same Prophet VS ;)
next to nothing

From the sets i compiled until know, the PPG WT04 Square Sweep is the best starting block for bass patches. All depends on what basses you are looking for, but vectron isn't the ultimate bassmachine allthough proper filtering etc makes a pretty nice sub.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the original prophet vs used 256 waveforms at 8bits and the vs can do some shacking bass

the vectron lacks a good filter its way to smoth the vs has agressive filters

the other problem with vectron is its not set right no unison mode no pan mode where you can set each panning of the voice being used this gives massive

spread of sound when used in unison and the spread is kept very short the bass is fat and hoover basslines are amazing

the envelopes are wrong and they dont have looping

and it dont have the modulation matrix of the vs

auturia prophet v is a good looking emulation as it catches the synth partameter qualities but the waveforms dont look or sound the same and the filter emulation is naff

but the panning and unison is spot on and the envelopes and modulation matrix is spot on but the sound is so vsti week

that why i like using my dss1 as thats the fatest filter ever and the osc sync of single cycle waves is amazing and in unison its fat fat fat

i have a dssx which is the 24 mb upgraded version im the first person to fit in uk and was part of the diagnostic team for tom

i am on regular talks with tom as hes about to release version 3 of the dss1 upgrade

now i can make you 2048 1024 512 waves if you need them as i can make complete instrument multisamples with the same waves

i make pcm wavetables multisamples for my dsm1 and use them in the korg t1 and t3ex

as that has a great synth engine and they sound so great in that synth
next to nothing

A nice start is to leave the Vectron filter fully open and run Vectron into Interpole.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Great thought, NTN...I really like the Moog filter emulation. It's almost as clean on the bass side as the new MiniTaur, but I need something better than MIDI control over the filter sweep to get it as buttery...the 8 bits of MIDI is spread a little on the high side like an FFT....but it does work very well! Maybe I can use an an AUDIO/CV control into Modular, and sweep the filter on a module.

Thanks for the tips.

jhulk...I will never complain about access to more wavetables for any synth! I too am waiting for the new 3.0 DSS-1 upgrade. I offered Tom my FPGA experience but I think he was all set for what he needed. I just got the DSS a year ago, and it's fairly stock. I have a handful of floppies, but would love to use a USB or HD instead, as the floppies on both DSS-1's I have access to are prone to errors and occasionally prevent a proper boot-up.

Modelling the DSS-1 filter in SCOPE would be a fucking great thing to do...hmmm.
next to nothing

One more thing.... I just convinced my self that this illustrated simple setup shown below actually works with presets and all.... And opens a lot of possibilities for whatever you want to do from osc to output :)

Only fundamentals included, but insert whatever ;) Not quite the same but its getting closer. Added A PPG Upper Wavetable and the Virus Waves as well, as modular modules.
Attachments
Virus.rar
The Virus
(61.41 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
PPG U WT.rar
The PPG Upper Waves Samplepool.
(57.42 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
mod.jpg
mod.jpg (159.32 KiB) Viewed 893 times
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

your experiment there take it one step further take each sample osc to a filter then take the filter to a vca then that vca to another vca

do this for every one of the 4 voices then set the vector mod to the last vca of each voice channel then each voice channel to a paner

this will be much better as you now have transient based sounds being vector mixed

ps on the dss1 if it begining to not load properly then you could have a psu problem as the dss1 os rom is built in all that are on the floppy disks are systems

these are patches with multisounds you dont need any disk to sample or make additive multisounds

i did the full hammond library using the additive engine as there are only 9 drawbars and so you only need 9 osc from the additive engine

i wrote a lot of additive spectra tables for the dss1 and then just write the numbers in

ive had my upgrade for 2 years now as i had revision 1 boards and we had a few teathing problems with the usb at the time

but if you want bigger wave files of single cycle for just bass machines

then i could do them to
next to nothing

Thanks for the hints :)

I thought i rememberred there was issues with the sample oscs/sample pools on 64bit systems (or something, so i just wire them up to see if they where "presetable", and now that i see they are i think i will be busy for quite some time :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

The best thread and XITEment in a while here. Thanks Again.

FWIW, due to the small DSP footprint and 16 voice presets changing instantly without loading too musch info, this is turning out to be an excellent Electric Piano with Circular Panning like a Rhodes could never do.

I finally had the time needed to push things forward a little and so far the Crystalline EPno's are awesome and very fresh.